North Korea and the threat of Nuclear War

Truman181

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I know political threads aren't allowed but I don't think of this as a political issue. For the first time in around 20 years there is a very real threat of Nuclear War looming over us all.

North Korea Vows Thousand-fold Military Retaliation if Threatened

http://www.usnews.com/articles/news/2009/06/17/north-korea-vows-thousand-fold-military-retaliation-against-us-if-threatened.html

This is pretty scary stuff. Most young people today haven't grown up with the fear of nuclear war but a very real threat has arisen. It doesn't seem the news media is taking this seriously as it is getting very little coverage.

I think the media believes this is a case of 'same-old-same-old'. It's so convenient to write off the possibility of it happening because we all believe no one would be that stupid to cause a war that could possibly change life as we know it. Yet all it would take is one stupid person with a bad temper to make it happen. So far in our history we have been fortunate that no one HAS yet been that stupid. However, statistics say it's only a matter of time...

Think about it...everything you know or want to do could be over in the middle of the night. How would that change the way you live your life if you knew the end was imminent?

Thoughts?

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Kim Jung Ill's main reason to want nuclear weapons is as a deterrent for any attack on his country or threat to his dictatorship. The man is extremely paranoid and eccentric, but the difference between someone like him and someone like an Al Queda terrorists that Kim wants to live and probably enjoys life. Whereas the suicidal Islamic terrorists look forward to dying.

Think of this, Kim Jung Ill is an atheist, he believes this life is all there is, so he's probably not going to do anything suicidal. He's known to throw lots of parties, drink alcohol and screw lots of women and considers himself an "artist" and a big fan of hollywood movies. He's a megalomaniac. He's got a crazy, hedonistic lifestyle. Dudes like that are not looking to die anytime soon, they only want to stay in power as long as possible. He talks tough, but that's his job as a military dictator. Who really expects anything different out the mouth of a military dictator?

His likelihood of attacking the U.S. with an unprovoked strike is close to zero. He knows that would be suicide for himself and his nation, and guys like him don't want to die and don't want to lose their power.

The main worry with him getting nukes is passing the technology on to other undesirables around the world. But him just launching a nuke at the west coast without provocation? Extremely unlikely.

Inquisitus

Don Juan
Reaction score
The first thing i would do is to stop sweating small stuff.

This is small. North Korea does not have enough nukes to cause Armageddon or a way to deliver them to the CONUS. They also do not have any allies willing to do that for them.

In short, they're a little child throwing a tantrum.

Deep Dish

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It doesn't seem the news media is taking this seriously as it is getting very little coverage.
It would be irresponsible of journalists to act otherwise at this juncture. Heavy coverage would be tantamount to scare mongering.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry unless I lived in Seoul. That's about all their crappy missiles can hit. They probably could not even hit Japan. North Korea is by no means at a level similar to the former USSR, with all of the US targeted and blown away upon launch. They would like people to believe that they were, but it will be a long time before they have global missile capabilities.

Kim Jong Il is old and about to die. The country's future will likely be determined by his third son and chosen successor. Hopefully, he is halfway sane.

What I do respect about North Korea is that they have been working to set a defense to a foreign invasion for decades. Much of the country is underground, and they would be a giant headache for any invading force. Even China would not be so foolish, unless they actually wanted to trim their population by a few million.

Da Realist

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
speakeasy said:
Think of this, Kim Jung Ill is an atheist
The former USSR was athiest as well, but there was the threat of nuclear war. And don't forget the Cuban Missile Crisis as Cuba doesn't like religion either. I do agree the guy is hedonistic and really won't try to take on the whole world because he's really not crazy. He's just a sane guy with no discipline. Truthfully, I'm more in fear of Pakistan letting loose with India if the Taliban gets settled there.

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Da Realist said:
The former USSR was athiest as well, but there was the threat of nuclear war. And don't forget the Cuban Missile Crisis as Cuba doesn't like religion either.
Right, which means they weren't about to launch any unprovoked attacks ending in mutual annihilation. Communists actually want to live. Unlike the suicidal terrorists who think they are carrying out Allah's orders and will be rewarded with 72 virgins.

PRMoon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
lol a third world country is advertizing their nuclear pea shooter!!! They're surrounded by first world anti missile deterent systems!! It's got to be the funniest thing in the world. It's the equivlent of a nerd coming to a school with a 38 and all the bullies have SWAT gear. You may be crazy enough to try but ultimately you're gonna get the smack down.

Have you seen the blast radius of their "weapons of mass distruction?" It's about 5 times less powerful then the bombs the US manufactured and dropped during WW2. Talk about don't sweat the small stuff.

ketostix

Banned
Reaction score
I agree with your analysis Speakeasy. However, the UN has passed a resolution to interdict N. Korean ships, and we are currently following one of their ships now. N. Korea has stated that an interdiction of their ships will be consider an act of war for what that's worth. The thing about N. Korea's missle technology in general and not just the nuclear capability is they are probably at the point where they might be able to hit Hawaii and of course S. Korea and Japan. So they have the US's hands tied that way. Ironically in WW2 Japan was planning a bold move to surround Hawaii and lost their ass in the battle of Midway. Once a country has the capability to deliver a nuclear arsenal the US is unlikely to take agressive military action against it. What I'm saying is it's just a matter of time before another islamic nation has nuclear weapons thanks to N. Korea.

WhitePimp

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
speakeasy said:
Unlike the suicidal terrorists who think they are carrying out Allah's orders and will be rewarded with 72 virgins.
"The first half-dozen or so will be nice, but after that, I'm going to want a pro." - Dennis Miller

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
North Korea should be turned into a sheet of glass for even threatening to launch a nuclear strike.

Da Realist

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
speakeasy said:
Right, which means they weren't about to launch any unprovoked attacks ending in mutual annihilation. Communists actually want to live. Unlike the suicidal terrorists who think they are carrying out Allah's orders and will be rewarded with 72 virgins.
I have to disagree with you on that. I've seen guys who didn't believe in anything but didn't care what would happen to them or anyone around them. We just lucked out that we don't have that in Lil Kim in N. Korea or the guys running the USSR at the time. Don't forget the Russians were the guys who burned down their own cities and farmland so Napolean and Hitler couldn't get a foothold there in their respective invasions.

Truman181

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Deep Dish said:
It would be irresponsible of journalists to act otherwise at this juncture. Heavy coverage would be tantamount to scare mongering.
I have to disagree with this more than any other post you've ever made.

Since when has the mainstream media ever been responsible? If anything, they thrive on fear mongering.

Truman181

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
To the other posters who responded:

You guys seem to have missed the point. You, like the media, are treating this like a case of 'same old same old'.

And hopefully, that's what it is in this case.

Nuclear weapons have played an important part in world politics since their inception. Thankfully, they have been used only as a deterrent since WWII.

However, odds are in favor that someday there is going to be someone in power who just doesn't give a fukk about world politics...or living for that matter...

The odds of a nuclear war on ever increasing. The list of nuclear powers continues to grow. Some day someone is gonna get pissed at someone else and before long, bombs start flying in every direction.

Am I being far fetched? I certainly hope so. I just wish that countries would somehow give up on joining the nuclear arms race as the UN is largely an ineffective entity and their sanctions are not taken seriously.

But meanwhile, my whole point is that we all gotta make the most of our lives now and make every moment count.

f283000

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
From a prophecy point of view I always remember what I heard father Wingate from trumpeter's mission say a couple years ago in a radio interview. It has always stayed with me. He spoke of the coming food/race riots but what really got me was that he said the united states would be attacked once it was involved in 3 wars at the same time.

Another war would really stretch our military thin which is what would lead to an attack by our enemies.

Inquisitus

Don Juan
Reaction score
Truman181 said:
To the other posters who responded:

You guys seem to have missed the point. You, like the media, are treating this like a case of 'same old same old'.

And hopefully, that's what it is in this case.

Nuclear weapons have played an important part in world politics since their inception. Thankfully, they have been used only as a deterrent since WWII.

However, odds are in favor that someday there is going to be someone in power who just doesn't give a fukk about world politics...or living for that matter...

The odds of a nuclear war on ever increasing. The list of nuclear powers continues to grow. Some day someone is gonna get pissed at someone else and before long, bombs start flying in every direction.

Am I being far fetched? I certainly hope so. I just wish that countries would somehow give up on joining the nuclear arms race as the UN is largely an ineffective entity and their sanctions are not taken seriously.

But meanwhile, my whole point is that we all gotta make the most of our lives now and make every moment count.
Get some perspective man. Make every moment count by ignoring this stuff.

piranha45

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
but inquisitus theres no time for such frivolties, WE MUST PANIC WERE ALL GONNA DIIIIIIE :(((

U

user43770

f283000 said:
From a prophecy point of view I always remember what I heard father Wingate from trumpeter's mission say a couple years ago in a radio interview. It has always stayed with me. He spoke of the coming food/race riots but what really got me was that he said the united states would be attacked once it was involved in 3 wars at the same time.

Another war would really stretch our military thin which is what would lead to an attack by our enemies.

I'm wasted, but I still know you spit bullsh1t...you always have...

U

user43770

piranha45 said:
but inquisitus theres no time for such frivolties, WE MUST PANIC WERE ALL GONNA DIIIIIIE :(((
At least you're funny...occasionally. The more you stick around, the more you blow penis.

piranha45

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
well ur moms fat.