Newbie Needs Help

Lust

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
First off I don't want to come in here and sound like I expect to receive help, as if you guys have nothing better to do, so I'll just say that I'd really appreciate any help get from you fellas.

Righto.

I was wondering if you guys can give me a outline, touching on all the important aspects of taking health and fitness more seriously, and me transitioning it to a lifestyle rather than just a bit of fun.

I was hoping if any of you guys can help figure out a workout routine, and let me know the basics to nutrition.

I'm 16, Asian, 5'11, Ectomorph and weigh around 63kgs. I'm a pretty active guy, couple that with a b!tch of a metabolism and it's hard for me to see much gains. I play a lot of sports, getting into Parkour and Krav Maga, Aussie rules footy, rugby, and anything else that interests me. I need to bulk up for rugby this year because I've moved up divisions and I'll be playing against some big ass beefcakes, but not just that. I want to take better care of my body and actually understand how things work, rather than follow this routine and that routine, take this supplement and that supplement and not actually understand how it will affect my body. I have no problems with taking supplements, I have creatine, WPI and Soy Protein at home.

I'm still in school, and only work out during lunch break. It's around 40mins long, and the Sweatbox (Our gym) is open every day but tues. (It's when I do my Krav Maga anyway)

I guess I'm pretty strong for my size, I'm fairly tall, kinda skinny, but have some mass. I bench sets of 62.5/67.5kg (Dunno how much pounds that is), and max 85kg. I'm pretty happy with my chest but want bigger arms, and more mass. I'm too skinny, I'll get steamrolled in rugby.

If you guys can help me figure out a basic routine to suit my situations, that will help me gain muscle mass, and some information of nutrition and how it works not just what works, I'd really appreciate it.

Yeah, I have a habit of making long posts, but cheers for any help guys.

WesCottII

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What position do you play? I was a full back and what I needed to do wieghts wise, was alot different, to what say, a prop needs to do.

In regards to the information part, I'm no expert, but I'd recommend digesting everything in the "H+F Vault" in the stickies.

Lust

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
WesCottII said:
What position do you play? I was a full back and what I needed to do wieghts wise, was alot different, to what say, a prop needs to do.

In regards to the information part, I'm no expert, but I'd recommend digesting everything in the "H+F Vault" in the stickies.
I'm only a center but I still wanna get big. Rugby isn't my main concern, I'm not going through weight training so I can perform better as a center, I'm training because I want to get bigger, if that means learning how to play as a prop, then I don't mind. :)

Yeah I've gone through some of the stickies but to me they seem to be aimed at guys in an older age range than me, and some of the stuff is confusing because in some posts some knowledge of all this is assumed.

blinkwatt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I need to bulk up for rugby this year because I've moved up divisions and I'll be playing against some big ass beefcakes, but not just that.

Potatoes,wheat bread & brown rice.

I want to take better care of my body and actually understand how things work,

Learn to eat real food and you'll be amazed with how your body reacts.

rather than follow this routine and that routine, take this supplement and that supplement and not actually understand how it will affect my body.

To be honest,no one can claim most supplements have no short term side effects or long term. Everyone's body reacts differently to different stuff. By the way,no one know what long term effects NO-Xplode of any of that crap has,it hasn't been out long.

I have no problems with taking supplements, I have creatine, WPI and Soy Protein at home.

Try to learn to eat the right food instead of supplementing.

I'm pretty happy with my chest but want bigger arms, and more mass.

If you want bigger arms;

-Skull Crushers
-Behind the head dumbbell presses
-Curl

I'm too skinny, I'll get steamrolled in rugby.

It's all in how you eat.

Good luck!

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
at 63kgs you should not be concentrating on any particular bodypart, add 20kg to your frame and then you can worry about bringing up specifics. (this is also the best way to add size to your arms)

Lust

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sweet, cheers guys.

Had a geez at the "Where to Start" thread, and chose option A. Will get into it soon.

One thing I wanted to ask is, what is your take on being sick and working out?

Like, should I do? Should I wait it out or work out anyway? For the past week and a bit I've been real sick, haven't really been working out. Say I was in a 11 week routine, and got real sick, do I resume the routine afterwards or start over again or what?

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you get sick you wait until you're fully recovered before starting, no questions asked. If you get sick in the middle of a training cycle it depends, if you're out of commission a couple of days you can probably go light your first workout back and then resume from where you left off - if it's more serious then you might have to start over (but don't be discouraged, these things happen).

High doses of vitamin c (3-6g a day) and glutamine (20-30g a day) can help keep you illness-free during heavy training cycles.

ps - I wonder how long it'll be before people scream about vit c overdose..

mintxx

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
pretty hard to grow your arms unless you work on your back and chest