Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

New Technology is Making it Okay to Be Anti-Social

h2o

Banned
Reaction score
The new generation’s technological advances are slowly making it “okay” to be anti-social.

(excuse the large text for emphasis, but I think it really is necessary)

I hope none of you fall into this category, but it is inevitable, with all the bullsh*t the media and society spits at you that some will become blend into the masses.

Everyday I walk outside, I see literally 2-3 out of 5 people listening to an iPod or other music device. I attend an ordinary, average-class university in the U.S. Now, that’s 2-3 out of 5 less people that I can start a conversation with, and I can’t even imagine how much it hurts their social skills if they do this every single day.

Heck, I think a lot of them use it (music device, phone, etc) because they are uncomfortable without it.

And the other 1-2 out of 5 can’t stand straight or be seen alone with a phone to their ear. In fact, nowadays, I rarely see a girl (or a guy) sitting by herself on campus, and not talking on a phone or using some electronic device (and that’s when I approach (the girl) ;)).

It’s dependency.

Lot’s of people are insecure and want to look “cool.” It’s like they are still holding onto their mother’s hand, and can’t walk on their own. Seriously, get a freaking grip, you’ll be okay if you don’t have something glued to your ears for like 2 minutes when you walk from class to class. Not only does it cut you out of a ton of opportunities and social interactions, but it’s almost like so many people are doing it, that you stand out by not having one.

Is it just me, or do you also feel like they are just like zombies walking around? ...hmm, maybe it's just me.

Sure, I have an mp3 player, but I barely use it. For example, I use it when I jog or when I take a trip…I’ll be on a plane next week, and I’ll definitely be taking it with me. Even then, I could be making conversation with people seated around me. The unfortunate circumstances are that not everyone perceives every opportunity as one in which they can excel and grow. Life truly is a game, and too many people fall victims to regret, and don’t take the chances right in front of them.

It’s like, if you’re one of those guys who walks around with his iPod all day at school, and complains that you don’t meet women, and wonder where to meet them…there is your problem. Here's a little secret...if you open your eyes, WOMEN ARE EVERYWHERE.

DJ_SUPREME

Don Juan
Reaction score
thats soo damn true... everytime you try to approach someone outsied thats sitting on a bench or something is either on the phone or listening to music.. its so pathetic and most of these people end up being boring just because they dont have any or minimal contact with the outside world... it pisses me off so much.

comic_relief

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
here here

I hate cell phones and not just because I don't get service. It is interesting taking a person like the one that you described out into the country area where there will be no service at all. They go into a fit of insanity (withdrawl) and it is humorous. This happened to my girlfriend :D

RaWBLooD

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by h2o
The new generation’s technological advances are slowly making it “okay” to be anti-social.

(excuse the large text for emphasis, but I think it really is necessary)

I hope none of you fall into this category, but it is inevitable, with all the bullsh*t the media and society spits at you that some will become blend into the masses.

unfortunately many people don't know what moderation is,

personally i dont watch any tv, and get up to date news and stuff online and i chat online, but am able to get out and talk to real people and not seem out of place like many today are with all this "inter-connectedness",
truely if one wanted to eat mcdonalds and not get fat it is possible, do you see where im going? moderation is the key.

Fatality

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
h20

this may be the greatest post i've ever seen:cheer:

h2o

Banned
Reaction score
Re: Re: New Technology is Making it Okay to Be Anti-Social

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this.

I mean, it is okay and perfectly normal for anyone to want to seclude themselves and occasionally escape into their "own world" by listening to some tunes or kicking back to have some nice phone conversation...but moderation is the key...and don't do it when you are cutting yourself out of opportunities.

Of course, iPods and phones make for pretty good conversation openers, if the person is not completely zoned out and cut off.

True story, I was joking with some guy, and he said that he knows a few people that would actually call customer service or etc on their phones from class to class...simply to look "cool" as if they know a lot of people and have friends ... hopefully there was no truth to that joke ... but I wouldn't doubt it.

----------------------

btw RaWBLooD,
Originally posted by RaWBLooD
moderation is the key.
with 28.98 posts per day, moderation is the last thing you should be preaching to others about. talk about the blind leading the blind...puh-lease :rolleyes:

C00L

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
the problem is you are seeing it as a limitation, who gives a **** if they are listening to music.

just tap them on the shoulder and they will listen.

SELF-MASTERY

Banned
Reaction score
My university requires every student to have a lap top-- everywhere you go ppl have on headphones, using IM, and downloading music... I think the kids with social problems to begin with are worse off... I dont even bring my laptop to school any morel, I see it as a distraction from school work and meeting new ppl.

Rollo Tomassi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Here's some comedic irony for you:

During my psych studies at the University I jjust transfered from, I'd do these little social experiments as part of a paper I was writing. One of the observations I made as part of this was to watch male and female students (most between the ages of 18 and 24) after a college class was dismissed. The default behavior for more than 88% of the females was to instatly pick up their cell phones and call a freind or boyfriend within 3 minutes after the class dissmissal. Some of the guys I worked with even made a game out of it and it got to be pretty funny seeing damn near every girl in the class instantly put phone to ear.

We never really had anything more than a correlative study, but I still wonder if this isn't a security issue or a coping mechanism for something, but it was so reliably predictable it was scary.

MindOverMatter

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: New Technology is Making it Okay to Be Anti-Social

Originally posted by h2o
btw RaWBLooD,

with 28.98 posts per day, moderation is the last thing you should be preaching to others about. talk about the blind leading the blind...puh-lease :rolleyes:
it's up to 30 posts a day now!

Visceral

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
With cellphones, people don't have to settle and socialize with the people at hand; they can call up someone they know and have a much more satisfying conversation. In a hallway between classes, there's really no time to do much besides break the ice, and you might not see that person ever again. Yes, you can get their number, but what are you going to call them on? Your cellphone.

As for music, genuine antisocial behavior might be involved there. Those people might find their music to be more satisfying than interpersonal contact - it doesn't require any thought and there's nothing at stake. Music was meant to please, while the words of people rarely have the same intent.

Also, we here should know better than most that it's often inappropriate or unattractive to interact with people as we desire to. We can't express what we want to express, and forced pleasantries aren't fun for anyone, so the only alternative is really to do nothing ... and we fill the void and satisfy our repressed emotions with music.

Last edited:

RaWBLooD

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: New Technology is Making it Okay to Be Anti-Social

Originally posted by h2o

----------------------

btw RaWBLooD,

jealous of my efficiency :D

thefonz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hells ya H........it's a crutch just like ipods, and tv (2 things I've gone cold turkey on)

Half the people who talk on their cellphones, or maybe more, don't even need to be talking at all, they're scared. Of what? Silence, judgement, their own thoughts, interacting with others....who knows? It's no suprise in fact that I see more girls looking at their cellphones every 5 seconds than anyone else. Theres got to be some point in human civilization where we rebel against all this ****......no nessecarily fight club rebeling but just a point where we all say **** it this ****. I'm stressed right now if you can't tell

RaWBLooD

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by thefonz
Hells ya H........it's a crutch just like ipods, and tv (2 things I've gone cold turkey on)

Half the people who talk on their cellphones, or maybe more, don't even need to be talking at all, they're scared. Of what? Silence, judgement, their own thoughts, interacting with others....who knows? It's no suprise in fact that I see more girls looking at their cellphones every 5 seconds than anyone else. Theres got to be some point in human civilization where we rebel against all this ****......no nessecarily fight club rebeling but just a point where we all say **** it this ****. I'm stressed right now if you can't tell
take a hott shower, then make it really cold, and dry yourself.

Deep Dish

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
h2o:
Just to let you know, what you meant to say was asocial. Here is the breakdown, for future reference:

Asocial
People who are weird, strange, outcasts, loners. They have difficulties being social not because they don’t want to be but because they are viewed as different, abnormal, etc.

Non-social
They are not-social because they feel other people are not worthy enough of being their friend or in their company. These people are narcissistic.

Anti-social
They go against social values. They get into fights, commit robberies, arson, etc. It has nothing to do with how socialable they are in the conventional sense and this term is perhaps the most misused term (other than “psycho”) which comes from psychology.

Just to let you know. (Few people know the difference between the three terms and end up bastardizing the term “anti-social”, so now you know. :) )