New pc question

Skel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well im assuming by the link that its a packard bell. If you want to buy a quality computer then try dell.com. The specs look good, but it all really depends on what are you using your pc for.

HBK

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
whats wrong with the processor? its very powerful?!?
id be using it mostly for gaming and dvd's personal

spider_007

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by HBK
whats wrong with the processor? its very powerful?!?
id be using it mostly for gaming and dvd's personal
I sopose it's alright for gaming & dvd's, not wery good for CAD (Computer Aided Design)

ShizamDaMan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The specs look really nice, I'd say it'll be able to do just about anything you throw at it.

That computer could to CAD/CAM applications just fine. I'm on a laptop with an XP 3000+, 768MB of RAM, and a 32MB Geforce 4 GO mobile and I run Inventor 8 just dandy.

If all you want to do is computer aided design, you'd be getting a dual CPU system in the first place :)

HBK

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Theres over a gig of ram which is always nice :)
i emailed them wondering about the spec of the motherboard cos u wanna make sure u know what your getting. The graphics card is handy 2 as it will boost up the overall performance. im really thinking about going for this one! if it runs half life 2 at full performance ill be v impressed

Don Pablo

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Go for it. The processor will be great, and it beats out most of intel's processors. Plus, you'll be ready for a 64 bit operating system, but those aren't mainstream for a couple more years.

spider_007

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Don Pablo
Plus, you'll be ready for a 64 bit operating system, but those aren't mainstream for a couple more years.
One of the reasons I didn't buy it, One of the programs I had to run was "Catia V5" which runs on 32

Page

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm very wary about buying brand-name computers now b/c the things are built as cheaply as possible, and the parts used are generic and often sub-par. (I bought one compaq that was D.O.A. the first time I used it, and i had to drive all the way back to return it. ) If one thing breaks, there is often no warranty for it.

If you buy a computer for games, be sure that it has a real video CARD and not just a video chipset on the motherboard--- chipsets suck b/c they don't have their own dedicated memory like cards do, and this means that chipsets always use up some of your system RAM.

Also, the software on compaq/emachines/etc. totally blows... you get a "restore disc" but it's not a real copy of windows, it is a HD image that reloads a sh!tload of useless memory-wasting proprietary software along with windows, so you never get a clean instalation.

the absolute best way to get a computer is to buy good quality brand-name parts and assemble it yourself. That way, you get exactly what you want and each part has its own warranty.

Don Pablo

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by spider_007
One of the reasons I didn't buy it, One of the programs I had to run was "Catia V5" which runs on 32
AMD's 64 bit processors can run 64 and 32 bit programs at the same time. I am running a 32 bit OS and programs right now. They are excellent processors. Only used the 64 bit aspect when I was betatesting XP 64 bit.

undesputable

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Get an HP... I have one and it has lasted me like 4 years, everything works and its still going strong.