Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

New car dilema

Reaction score
So Im almost 40 and at a point in my life where I can afford the car I really want, the Audi SQ5

Thing is I know how overpriced German cars are and I have always driven Japanese for this reason.

I have this mental block about paying $300-$400 more per month than the Japanese comps ( Acura or Lexus ) but there is something about the Audi that just keeps calling out to me.

Should I really pay more for less ? This is my dilema.......Yes I can afford this car now but who knows what can happen down the road.....

Thanks

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Mechanics hate Audis. They design their cars to require a lot of special Audi-only tools, so that only Audi dealerships can do maintenance to them.

A friend of mine worked as a service manager for Mercedes. He told me that the idea behind maintenance contracts that include basic things like oil changes was to get you into the dealership so they could find other things wrong with your car that were not covered under the contract. Their average price to service a car ranged from $1000-$1500. A lot of those customers thought they were coming in for a free oil change.

dasein

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you are having to finance more than 10k on a car, you can't afford it.

Reaction score
Bible_Belt said:
Mechanics hate Audis. They design their cars to require a lot of special Audi-only tools, so that only Audi dealerships can do maintenance to them.

A friend of mine worked as a service manager for Mercedes. He told me that the idea behind maintenance contracts that include basic things like oil changes was to get you into the dealership so they could find other things wrong with your car that were not covered under the contract. Their average price to service a car ranged from $1000-$1500. A lot of those customers thought they were coming in for a free oil change.
Thanks,

Yes it is $850 every 15000 KM to service the car, this is crazy I have never heard of anything like this. I asked the dealership what the deal was and they told me they change all kinds of stuff including sparkplugs.......Insanity, Japanese sparkplugs in cars will last until 60,000 miles......Stuff like this is turning me off. Throwing money down the tube does not sit well with me.

Starwolf

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
LoL, funny this topic came up..

I can't afford an Audi or any very expensive cars at the moment thats why i just drive a simple honda Fit.

But i always thought that when i get older..like the OP for example i will be able to spend more on nice looking cars.

But OP seems to be cheap like me even at 40. LoL i wonder if i will ever drive a fancy car.

Anyone here driving a fancy car or sport car? is it worth it. Please share the pro's and cons. and also if you really could afford it.

Reaction score
Starwolf said:
LoL, funny this topic came up..

I can't afford an Audi or any very expensive cars at the moment thats why i just drive a simple honda Fit.

But i always thought that when i get older..like the OP for example i will be able to spend more on nice looking cars.

But OP seems to be cheap like me even at 40. LoL i wonder if i will ever drive a fancy car.

Anyone here driving a fancy car or sport car? is it worth it. Please share the pro's and cons. and also if you really could afford it.
It really is funny, I make good money , wife works , we have no kids.......I promised myself that my next car ( this one ) would be something to really spoil myself with ........But with the features I want its over 60k USD......Compared to 45k.......So now thinking twice.

One thing for sure, the Audi is a status car..........

Starwolf

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
It really is funny, I make good money , wife works , we have no kids.......I promised myself that my next car ( this one ) would be something to really spoil myself with ........But with the features I want its over 60k USD......Compared to 45k.......So now thinking twice.

One thing for sure, the Audi is a status car..........
Dual Income and No Kids.. Come on OP the whole idea of being a DINK is to be able to live the good live.

i'm also planning on not having any kids especially so i can spoil myself:)

btw
i was thinking of buying this one
https://www.tradecarview.com/used_car/japan car/audi/a4/15876631/

5k for a 2005 lol.. a bit old but damn it looks nice. I have the money to buy it but i have no idea if i can keep up with the maintenance. I doubt it :(

Albatross953

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Go to jalnapik and look around. German cars suck. Just read one of the posts about Audi timing chains.

Better to commit your money to reaching financial independence. Not all status is based on stuff.

Skyline

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The thing about European car is that, well they know Americans will pay a stupid price because its an "import" and "looks nice." If you ever see a Ferrari, just think to yourself. If you steal a tire, that's about $6k. Still the whole wheel, probably about $15k.

If you really want the car, buy it used. Those "service contracts" are mostly a scam in my opinion. I wouldn't ever buy a brand new car unless it's a dream car.

How much do you make a year by the way?

Bingo-Player

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Nice car , although im wondering why you would need such a big car when you have no kids ?

My friend drives a TT RS and occasionally lets me drive it is the best car i have ever driven.....Ridiculously fun too: P

Unfortunately you are paying for the name, logo, design and reputation/status of owning an Audi

That is what you are paying the extra 15K for it’s as simple as that ......if you don’t want to pay it you don’t have too but telling people you drive an Acura doesn’t quite have the same ring to it as audi

I would also seriously attempt to deter you from buying brand new from a dealer.....the car will lose 30% of its value the second you drive it off the forecourt

I would definitely buy second hand.... (although not sure what the second hand Audi market is like in the usa )

Also wouldn’t listen to that service every 15 thousand miles rubbish ......German engines are built to last i would service it every 30K up until about 100K

Tictac

Banned
Reaction score
Why people buy Audis, BMWs or Benzs is a mystery (other than to show people that you have the appearance of more money than sense).

The maintenance and repair records on all three of these 'premium' (priced) brands all but scream that you shouldn't depend on any of them.

I have a 2014 Porsche Boxster S., my second Porsche. It's a great fun car. And (so far) it's been a blast. But I would never think to have it as a car I depended on.

amoka

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
dasein said:
If you are having to finance more than 10k on a car, you can't afford it.
+1. Let me add that if you're worrying about the future maintenance costs, you can't afford it.

Last edited:

Stagger Lee

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Espi said:
I drive a Cadillac CTS with a lot of bells and whistles. I like it, and women seem to like it.
I always respect someone who gets a Cadillac or other nice American model like the Camaro and vettes. It shows to me the person decides on the merits and not on brand and marketing hype.They are underrated by a lot of people. With a Cadillac, you're getting as good or better ride and handling as a BMW and about the same reliability and simpler maintenance of a Japanese make. Although European makes complicating the maintenance and repair is starting to rub off on the domestic and Japanese makes somewhat.

What I don't like about most Audi models is they're a lot like Acura. They are a doozied up FWD platform available in AWD. I like a premium car to start as a tru RWD platform like Cadillac, Lexus, BMW, Mercedes etc does. I don't like AWD. Might as well just buy a loaded Accord or Malibu and save money if you have FWD.

Infern0

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bible_Belt said:

Your friend is correct. I did a stint as a service advisor a few years back and it was the worst job I ever had. Customers getting told they needed thousands of dollars of repair work.

Also to anyone considering paying for an extended warranty, don't. It's not worth the paper it's written on.

I thought Audi were basically flashier VW'S now anyway?

I'm still tinkering with the r34 in the drive anyway so executive cars ain't really my thing

Tenacity

Banned
Reaction score
I have been driving and will (most likely) continue to drive until I DIE...Muscle Cars. These are your Dodge Chargers, Dodge Avengers (Avengers are out of market now though, last one was 2014), Dodge Challengers, Ford Mustangs, and Chevy Camaros.

I buy them one year used (so if I buy in 2015, it would be a 2014 model) using Auto Trader and the car must be SOLID with nothing wrong with the interior, exterior, internal components, and with under 30,000 miles with a SOLID Car Fax report. The units I buy were usually used as commercial rentals prior with only one owner. The prior year model and the current year model, usually look the exact same, so I never understand why people buy brand new and pay more.

Then you take them down to the Rim Shop and put on your 22 inch Chrome or other specialty rims/tires, put your other accessories on, etc.

You get a lot of attention driving down the street (which is the point of driving a newer car in the first place), you get a lot of compliments from people, and you look pretty damn cool ALL at a very good price of under $25,000 for the base unit and the accessories. You can usually keep the model for a good 6-8 years before the need to trade in for another newer version because when they make these models, usually the model looks the exact same for about 3-4 years in a row with only very minor adjustments.

As I mentioned, I shop using Auto Trader, so when I come into the dealership I already know what I want as well as I have already called that dealer to inquire about that unit. I also come with my CHECK in hand, ready to go, which usually allows me negotiating power to beat the price down some more.

I can post pics of my Dodge Charger SXT and Dodge Avenger SXT if anybody wants to see how I do it.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Women can't tell the difference between shiny and fast. When you bring up the charger, the first thing I think about is the giant HEMI V8 engine option they offer. It's 6.4L and 470hp stock. Slap a supercharger on that, and you're ready for some fun.

But a woman is never going to think that way. I was into fast cars for a while. It always seemed like the answer to what was fast depended on the circumstances. American muscle is great in a straight line, but not so much on twisties, especially when road conditions deteriorate. I had/have (now broken) a 92 twin turbo stealth, and I really came to appreciate the all wheel drive. So many people wreck powerful rear wheel drive cars by punching it when going around a corner. The back end kicks out and they immediately go off the road. That doesn't happen with all wheel drive.

Motorcycles are the same way. Who is fastest depends on context. On a completely straight open road, a stretched Hayabusa is going to be the fastest bike. But as soon as curves are involved, other bikes become faster. I had an R1. It went about 185. A Hayabusa would go 200+, but where I live, the interstate highway is the only road straight enough to go that fast. And a little 500 like I ride now is never going to keep up with an R1...but switch the context to a very crowded urban environment, and that difference is greatly diminished.

I always leaned towards rat rods, and actually being fast, as opposed to looking fast, which is what women like. I would drive the ugliest, most beat-up looking Charger on the road if it meant I could get that 6.4L hemi V8. A woman would never understand that.

Chris80pitt

Don Juan
Reaction score
Just follow your instinct:). And don't think what can happen later because that is something you cannot control no matter what you decide.

Vice

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Why do you feel the need to own a "status" vehicle? Not to mention one as lame as an Audi SQ5.

Vice

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
amoka said:
+1. Let me add that if you're worrying about the future maintenance costs, you can't afford it.
Let me add a nuance to that:

If you're worrying about the future maintenance costs, you're likely one of those extremely wealthy people that opt to drive simple, dependable vehicles.