Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Never really thought about style until now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pierce_r

Don Juan
Reaction score
backbreaker said:
i probably make more money than anyone in this thread and even i think this is a little over the top telling a guy he has to be well off financially to sniff ***** is absurd.
I specifically said:

You don't have to be rich; you just have to be your own man and be on top of everything that's trying to crush you.

What I'm getting at is that any one thing is not sufficient. The entire package is what attracts women. You need to be well-rounded. You need to take the time and fix yourself in as many ways as you can if you want to attract women instead of chasing them.

There's no easy fix and there's always more to be done.

glass half full

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
dasein said:
Style is great... your own, not letting a woman make you over IME. Fell for this a couple times in the past, was always the beginning of the end, and also the beginning of lots of annoying "well now, she's got you all wrapped up, don't she?" comments from the peanut gallery.
I did that once in my twenties. Cut my long hair off for her, her way. She helped me get more styish stuff, then dumped me a month later. Guess she felt like she had to make the world a better place. Lmao...

Blinkers

Don Juan
Reaction score
Warrior74 said:
Well then, time to go my own way because I'm approaching 40 and have none of those things besides hygiene and rapier wit. Then again I've been retired from the game for a while now and it's been pretty nice so far. All I care about is doing the few things I want to do before I leave this world. Thankfully women aren't involved in any of them and I can wear what I like whilst doing them.
Now that’s the attitude I have a lot of respect for. I’m straddling the line with the MGTOW idea and truth be told; the only reason I haven’t jumped straight to it is that despite all the monumental fvck ups I keep being told I make in my ‘game’, I still get laid and still get plenty of interested wimminz talking to me. So like all ‘progressive’ and ‘stubborn as a mule’ men; I am reluctant to stop playing until I have a reasonable grasp on this skill set first.
Although I am forever told it helps that I have a fairly comfortable life and b1tches can smell the £££’s on me; I don’t agree with that as I only ever wear a basic collared shirt, dark blue Jeans, brown shoes and as it’s the UK and always cold and/or damp, some kind of a really, really cheap fleece top from my local budget outdoors shop. This is my local shop selection - http://www.regattaoutlet.co.uk/mens/fleece?solr_product_group=939

The women I talk to tell me they like a rugged looking outdoors type, man’s man and the pretty boy and posh boy looks are off the menu – maybe a UK thing; but I actually think that whatever, you just either need to be different, sensibly different of course; or comfortable enough in your clothes not to give a fvck.
That said; why anyone would wear skinny jeans is beyond me. Skinny little scrawny weak looking matchstick legs can’t possibly be instinctually attractive to women.

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
pierce_r said:
Besides being cheap, ugly, poorly-built, designed to wear out quickly, and the universal symbol to women that you have no idea how to actually dress, nothing.

So you throw down $200 for a pair of Kenneth Coles. With heavy use they might last you a year or two, because they have rubber soles and they're glued together. More on that in a minute.

A few things. Let's talk toes.

First off, your feet are not square. Grown-up shoes -- Alden, Allen Edmonds, Peal, Bergdorf, Paul Stuart -- are built on different types of lasts. The last is the part under the footpad and above the sole. Fine shoe manufacturers build different models on different lasts because people have different toe shapes. When you find a last that fits your foot, it will change your life.

Square-toed shoes were developed so that shoe manufacturers didn't have to build on multiple lasts. As a result, they don't fit anybody as well as a properly-lasted shoe will. This is why your feet hurt after standing all day and mine don't.

Secondly, grown-up shoes are welted. This means the soles are stitched to the last instead of glued. Because of this, they can be resoled after a year or two, for about $20. Also, the heels are nailed on. New heels cost about $10. The entire shoe can be dismantled after 10 years and the leather can be re-stretched, making it look practically brand new again. Also, since the leather is of a much finer quality, they will develop a patina as they age, looking better every year instead of cracking and wearing out. Your $300-500 grown-up shoe can, literally, last you for your entire working life, during which it will form itself to your foot with the suppleness of a broken-in baseball glove and look amazing. All this for the same price as two pairs of cheap shoes that you have to throw away every couple of years and that hurt your feet anyway.

Most square-toed shoes are cheap, and deservedly so. Kenneth Cole is odious because they charge almost as much for glued-sole square-toed one-last shoes as many handmade shoe manufacturers charge. And they still look cheap. I picked up a pair of Alden wingtips in my favorite last at Nordstrom Rack a few weeks ago for $150.

Square toed shoes show anyone who knows about shoes -- and all girls do -- that you don't know anything about shoes other than maybe "black shoes = dress shoes." Square toed shoes are part of the dress uniform of a twelve-year-old at a wedding, as well as the universal sign in the business world that you just got your first-ever job that requires a tie.

That's wtf is wrong with them.
The simplest explanation is the correct one: They used to be fashionable but no longer are. Subject to change again of course. When something is in style nothing else about it matters.

But I did corroborate your claim as I never take one person's word for anything and you are correct, they are considered about as hip as a cell phone belt clip. I'm going to take your advice and check out the Alden's if they last longer as you say.

gravityeyelids

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
backbreaker said:
every time i make a post like this on this forum i get called a faggot for being into clothes. a well put together dude that stays in shape will never have a problem attracting good looking women. it's that simple.

if the guys here spent half the time they do *****ing, learning how to dress they wouldn't be here. we seriously need a style section of this forum

Yes. Please MODS ARE YOU LISTENING?!? I Don't think it would be a stretch to dedicate an ENTIRE new section of the forum to style and fashion. Style is paramount, I would argue it is just as important as "Health & Fitness" (well as least as far as aesthetics and confidence) for attracting women, for which we already have a section.

Call it "The Stylish Man" or "The Stylish Don Juan"

Vigs

Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for keeping this thread civil!

I got women before. I just noticed that I am getting approached now, instead of approaching. This would have made things easier all along. It is kind of like peacocking, only without any crazy items. Just a bunch of interesting well made items that fit well and look good on me. Where did you get that coat? Those boots are awesome, where did you get them? Things like that.

I dont have a rich business man look. I have a rugged polished look. Everything is well made and fits. Some of it is even beat up or aged looking like the boots, but you can look at them and see they are well made. You can never look at it and say, he spent time getting dressed. Everything looks like it has a story to tell, and so they want to hear my story.

Today for example, black driving cap, plaid button down, distressed boot cut jeans, black motorcycle boots, scarf, and a green courdoroy overcoat with a collar that stands up. It is 9:30 am and I have already gotten 3 compliments on the coat, 2 on the boots, and 1 on the overall look. 3 at work, 1 at the coffee shop, and 2 at the gas station. I could discount the work ones because they are all my employees, but they never did that before.

As a plus, the boots give me about an extra inch in height, putting me at 6ft vs 5'11'

glass half full

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It would be very helpful to have a section on dress, it does make a big difference. I have noticed a real difference if I just rush to town for some reason in casual wear, as opposed to dressing up a bit. A very big difference!

dangdang

Don Juan
Reaction score
pierce_r said:
Besides being cheap, ugly, poorly-built, designed to wear out quickly, and the universal symbol to women that you have no idea how to actually dress, nothing.

So you throw down $200 for a pair of Kenneth Coles. With heavy use they might last you a year or two, because they have rubber soles and they're glued together. More on that in a minute.

A few things. Let's talk toes.

First off, your feet are not square. Grown-up shoes -- Alden, Allen Edmonds, Peal, Bergdorf, Paul Stuart -- are built on different types of lasts. The last is the part under the footpad and above the sole. Fine shoe manufacturers build different models on different lasts because people have different toe shapes. When you find a last that fits your foot, it will change your life.

Square-toed shoes were developed so that shoe manufacturers didn't have to build on multiple lasts. As a result, they don't fit anybody as well as a properly-lasted shoe will. This is why your feet hurt after standing all day and mine don't.

Secondly, grown-up shoes are welted. This means the soles are stitched to the last instead of glued. Because of this, they can be resoled after a year or two, for about $20. Also, the heels are nailed on. New heels cost about $10. The entire shoe can be dismantled after 10 years and the leather can be re-stretched, making it look practically brand new again. Also, since the leather is of a much finer quality, they will develop a patina as they age, looking better every year instead of cracking and wearing out. Your $300-500 grown-up shoe can, literally, last you for your entire working life, during which it will form itself to your foot with the suppleness of a broken-in baseball glove and look amazing. All this for the same price as two pairs of cheap shoes that you have to throw away every couple of years and that hurt your feet anyway.

Most square-toed shoes are cheap, and deservedly so. Kenneth Cole is odious because they charge almost as much for glued-sole square-toed one-last shoes as many handmade shoe manufacturers charge. And they still look cheap. I picked up a pair of Alden wingtips in my favorite last at Nordstrom Rack a few weeks ago for $150.

Square toed shoes show anyone who knows about shoes -- and all girls do -- that you don't know anything about shoes other than maybe "black shoes = dress shoes." Square toed shoes are part of the dress uniform of a twelve-year-old at a wedding, as well as the universal sign in the business world that you just got your first-ever job that requires a tie.

That's wtf is wrong with them.
Respect. Lol

Thank you for taking the time to spell that out... To say I learned a lot would be an understatement. Is there someplace you'd recommend to learn more about the details you mentioned? You clearly know shoes inside and out.

U

user43770

Warrior74 said:
Well then, time to go my own way because I'm approaching 40 and have none of those things besides hygiene and rapier wit. Then again I've been retired from the game for a while now and it's been pretty nice so far. All I care about is doing the few things I want to do before I leave this world. Thankfully women aren't involved in any of them and I can wear what I like whilst doing them.

haha right on. After reading this thread I've realized that if a style sub-forum were to be created, I wouldn't visit it very often. Not my cup of tea.

I love wearing tennis shoes with jeans. And my hoodie is definitely pulled over my head in this 15 degree weather. I suppose I could buy a scarf, but nah.

Atom Smasher

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
backbreaker said:
i probably make more money than anyone in this thread...
Not any more. :D

I'll bring up the idea for a style sub, but no promises. I've actually been thinking about this lately.

pierce_r

Don Juan
Reaction score
dangdang said:
Respect. Lol

Thank you for taking the time to spell that out... To say I learned a lot would be an understatement. Is there someplace you'd recommend to learn more about the details you mentioned? You clearly know shoes inside and out.
My pleasure.

I have no idea where you'd learn that. Someone told me all that about ten years ago, and it changed my shoe buying habits and made my feet much happier. All my shoes are welted, now, except for my running shoes.

99% of the men in the world will never know what a "last" is or what welting means.

Cheers.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Atom Smasher said:
Not any more. :D

I'll bring up the idea for a style sub, but no promises. I've actually been thinking about this lately.

seriously it would be a good addition to the forum. We can talk about colognes and what's in fashion and all that good stuff

cordoncordon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
pierce_r said:
I will never understand anyone over the age of 30 who wears:

- skinny jeans Disagree 100%
- square-toed shoes (not chisel-points; I mean the square-toed Oxford popularized by Kenneth Cole, and its cousins in hell) Disagree
- suede slip-on shoes -- Merrell "Jungle Mocs" or the $20 drugstore knock-off Disagree
- athletic shoes with jeans or khakis Disagree
- a hoodie pulled over your head (unless you're dodging hail the size of testicles) Disagree
- track suits anyplace but the gym (unless you're a Russian mob enforcer) agree
- digital watches agree
- TAPOUT or Ed Hardy anything Totally disagree
Responses in bold above. I think you are being a little too harsh with what a man over the age of 30 can and cannot wear. I am 6 feet tall, weigh 200, lift weights like crazy, and I love rocking a pair of skinny jeans. Same with a casual pair of suede shoes, athletic shoes with jeans, or a hoodie over the head. I can also dress up in an Armani suit and feel just as good. It's all about your aura. How you pull it off with confidence. If you want to go around dressed like a snooty college professor all of the time, go ahead if that works for you. But to say that anyone of the age of 30 cannot wear those types of things is being very very stuck up imo.

backbreaker said:
i probably make more money than anyone in this thread and even i think this is a little over the top telling a guy he has to be well off financially to sniff ***** is absurd.
No ya don't. :)

pierce_r

Don Juan
Reaction score
We'd need a subforum for MM or professional dress, though. Because 20-year-old d@ouchebags would come in here telling us about hoodies and ballin' in trainers, yo.

And then I would politely leave.

Or, maybe, not so politely.

Peaks&Valleys

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
cordoncordon said:
- TAPOUT or Ed Hardy anything Totally Disagree
You shouldn't be wearing any of this^^^ no matter what age you are. Even when it was in "style" many years ago, there was a certain younger crowd type that wore it, but most them that I noticed were hardos trying to emulate the UFC and Jersey Shore crowd.

trent_afc

Don Juan
Reaction score
Until we get a style forum, I'll use this thread. I need some help with my swag.

Looking for a versatile, brown shoe I can wear with jeans, chinos, or cords. I'm not really into moccasins, boat shoes, or chukkas. I'm thinking something like these:
http://www.zappos.com/sperry-top-sider-gold-cup-asv-boothbay-venetian-loafer-dark-brown
http://www.zappos.com/rockport-washington-square-venetian-dark-brown-smooth
http://www.zappos.com/ecco-helsinki-bicycle-toe-tie-rust-pull-up-leather

Alternatives also appreciated. Note that I'm more interested in style than quality ATM...I just learned I need to replace my black square toes...lol

TIA!

pierce_r

Don Juan
Reaction score
Those rubber-soled, cheap leather pieces of crap shouldn't be in any grown man's wardrobe. (Edit: on second look, those Rockports are close. But you can do better for the money.)

For that price range, $150-175, I found these on a quick search:

Nordstrom Adrians. These are the dressiest of the three. Punched cap toes. Wear brown ones with a suit or with jeans. I have a pair of John W. Nordstrom shoes in this color and they're among the most comfortable shoes I own.
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/john-w-nordstrom-adrian-oxford/3233535?origin=category

J&M Tyndalls, in "tan," though it's really more of a cigar or whisky color. Wingtips, called "brogues" in every other country in the world, are considered a "dressed-down" shoe. They're actually less formal than plain-toe or cap-toe shoes. I have some Aldens like these that are my daily kickaround shoes. J&M, like Cole Haan, is an entry-level fine men's shoe. Some are nicer than others. These aren't bad. They're not great, either. But they're better than what you had above.
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/johnston-murphy-tyndall-wingtip/3644135?origin=category

Ted Baker Derbys -- super comfortable, very laid back, Euro-trash-on-a- weekend look. Derbys, even plain-toe derbys, are relaxed and casual but you can still wear them with slacks if you've got the stones for it (just not black slacks, but you shouldn't wear those, either, unless you're a waiter).
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/ted-baker-london-patrii-derby/3487790?origin=category

Any of these will last you five times longer, with proper care and the occasional refurb, than the shoes you listed above.

The trick with fine shoes is to try them on in person, and find a salesman who really knows his shoes. Find shoes that fit your foot. ("Fit" is not "size.") Try different manufacturers and different lasts. Then, once you know what your feet like, go online and find deals.

pierce_r

Don Juan
Reaction score
I should add, too: I don't make a lot of money. That's not what this is about. It's not about showing a girl that you have money. Hell, right now, I'm living off the advance for my book. And I don't dress like a millionaire. I don't peacock and I'm not rollin'. I do dress like a grown man.

I own my house with no mortgage; I drive a Porsche but it's a pre-owned Cayman that cost less than a new Camry; I bought my yacht as a repo; I buy my clothes at outlets and factory stores and have them tailored. I make enough money to keep me comfortable but I put on no airs.

The $50K-salary, pretend-millionaire mentality is not what we're shooting for, here. I'm just talking about being a grownup, and taking care of yourself beyond going to the gym.

Learning to dress like an adult is as much a part of manhood as moving out of your parents' house. Women who are attracted to older men -- which is why we're in the MM forum -- expect that said older man to know how to dress himself without looking like he's still 20 and back on the block.

Status
Not open for further replies.