Nepotism to your benefit: good or bad?

Effington

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
As of Monday I am now an unemployed man on the job market. As I was browsing careerbuilder and monster and other various sites, I decided, what the hey, why not check out the company my brother works at. I doubt there would be a position I was interested in, anyway. But I found one.

My brother is pretty high up in the company and has a decent amount of pull. Do you think it would be unethical of me to ask him to forward my resume to the appropriate manager? The company is a Fortune top 50 (that's fifty, not five hundred) and making good money, I also have a friend that works there as well and likes it, which really is unusual, considering it's corporate planning work that is generally very boring.

In other words, it's a good job and company, is it a bad idea to ask my brother to help? In terms of job requirements, I fit all of their criteria and feel I am qualified, but obviously companies like this do not talk to every applicant that is "qualified".

Thoughts?

Mr. Wolf

Banned
Reaction score
Do you know why Jewish people are so successful? They invest into family. Ask your bro.

Heart Break Kid

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Do you feel you have the right qualifications for the job and would perform it well? If so I see no reason in getting into a debate concerning those with a subjective view of ethics vs. those who believe there is an objectively universal/black and white definition. The main criticism of nepotism is that a less qualified relative is favoured over a more qualified but unrelated one individual. So if you are qualified ask before you lose the opportunity.

Royal Ace

Don Juan
Reaction score
sure. if it is such a good company they wont accept people that are poorly qualified so if you actually get hired (not saying you are poorly or not qualified) you'll have to prove yourself for the job. go for it man