Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Need some advice on how to deal with attempted robbery case

DJMaC23

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi fellow Don Juans, I come to you seeking advice. On April 10 I was coming home at 11pm to my apartment complex. The parking lots were being repaved and stripes repainted, so there was an influx of cars in my parking lot. Thus, I wasnt able to park close to my building and had to park near the entrance of the lot. So I was walking on my way to my building and all of a sudden 4 black males in all black with bandanas over their faces came out from my left. I saw them come behind me so I knew something was about to go down.

I didnt want them to follow me to my apartment, so I turned around and said "whats up fellas?" then they proceed to surround me in a circle and one of them says, "let me get your money." I tell him I dont have any (i rarely carry cash) and then he tells me to empty my pockets. I pull out my wallet and show them that I dont have any money in it. They then ask me for my cell phone that had been in my hand, but I threw them off a little bit by asking them if I knew them. Then one of them asked me if it was a Nextel and I said no, then they said he dont got sh** and started turning around and walking off. As they were walking off the one who had spoken throughout the ordeal told me to not call the cops three times, on the third mentioning they wouldnt be around.

I figured ok, if they didnt get anything from me they were going to try to get something from someone else, or come back again. When I saw they wouldnt be able to see me i went in my apartment and called the police. The police caught them about 5 min later heading up the main street in the opposite direction they had been walking towards after they left me. So three of them are juveniles, 1 adult.

From talking with some of the high schoolers from around here it seems they are very well kids who live closeby and even go to or went to the High school 5 min away. Im honestly afraid to face them in court because I do not want anything to happen to myself or my family in retaliation since they live so close. Its crazy, I live in Columbia, MD which is generally considered an affluent community overall but I happen to live in what Ive realized is next to the section 8 apts...all the hoodlums from Baltimore and DC. What would you guys do in my situation? I really wish I could move but it is not an option at the moment. Has anyone gone through something similar? Any advice, comments are more than welcome.

Create Reality

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
They didn't take any of your ****, so I doubt they will get in alot of trouble.

Was this at night or in the daytime?

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Talk to the local prosecutor, but he's probably too busy to press charges for this crime. It's their word against yours, and there's no weapon or other physical evidence. It might be best to let it go. The criminal legal system disappoints just about everyone.

Is this a private company that owns the apartment complex? It might be wise to send them a certified letter that details this incident, and demand that they take better security measures such as lights and guards. If they were negligent in this area, someone could sue them or their insurance. If the company fails to act, and another crime happens, the letter is proof that they were warned.

Don't let fear run your life, but this is a good time to look into basic self-defense. You did well to escape violence, but you were lucky.

Derek Flint

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Marin County, CA - just North of San Francisco
Buy a handgun.

Become proficient with it.

Take classes in defensive handgun training.

Your life may depend on it.

Those punks could have easily killed you.

Eternal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Derek Flint said:
Buy a handgun.

Become proficient with it.

Take classes in defensive handgun training.

Your life may depend on it.

Those punks could have easily killed you.
You put a positive spin on things. If you know the area, you know what you do and don't need. In Columbia, there is no need for a gun. The people that do have one either hunt or have no clue how to use it. One of my friends got a shotgun and didn't know how to load the freaking thing.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about it to much man. You know how much crap people talk in Columbia, but nothing ever happens.

But I DO have to laugh at "Is that a Nextel?" "No" "He has nothing."

DJMaC23

Don Juan
Reaction score
Dude we haven't talked/seen each other in ages man, are you still at school in Alabama? I really appreciate all of the advice thus far, and thank in advance the responses of others

DJDamage

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You worry too much. You don't know how the future will turn out. In the meantime bulk up, take martial arts, carry a baseball bat with you and never walk alone and don't forget to get insurance (a place to hide somewhere to lay low until things blow over). In the meantime enjoy this video:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/7259/they_sure_got_guts/

KarmaSutra

Banned
Reaction score
Padron Reserve maduro in hand while finishing my b
You have thier names and can get addresses easily from a reverse lookup via Superpages or other such sites. This is what you do: Go to the Alpha of the bunch, (presumably the oldest but not necessarily the case) Threaten to take off his thumb first. Pinky finger next. If he isn't startled crush his fvcking nose. :up:

Julian

Banned
Reaction score
its the code of the streets

never go to police

thats how it is

buy a gun and blast

LowPlainsDrifter

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm in favor of the buy a gun and carry it idea but...

1. Keep in mind that Maryland's CCW application process is very cumbersome.

2. Train yourself to be proficient in its use, and be truly ready to use it if your life is in imminent danger.
Someone holding a gun or knife to you - imminent danger. Two or three guys larger than yourself already hitting you - imminent danger.
If you even drew your weapon in that situation (or mentioned that you had one) you could be found guilty of "brandishing," because a bunch of guys surrounding you asking for money feels like, but isn't legally qualified as, imminent danger.
Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer, but I read extensively on gun and self-defense laws. Always read the laws yourself and seek advice from a practicing attorney to clear up any ambiguities.

On the whole, I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

I was followed at a rather quiet park near me one day by an untrustworthy looking fellow. I remember thinking to myself that this guy could close in and mortally wound me within seconds!

The funny thing is that when you ask people who are anti-handgun, "what would you like me to defend myself with, if I'm alone and cornered, with police at least several minutes away?" they literally have no answer.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The problem with the gun is that after they are dead, you look like the bad guy. The more I learn about the practical implications in the legal system (I am no lawyer either, btw), the more I am attracted to the idea of weapons that don't look or seem like weapons. Guns make criminal defendants look like bad guys. Everyday life is full of other lethal weapons that make you look more like an innocent victim using whatever is on hand to fight back in self defense. I have noticed on self-defense forums that the plastic sticks that attach to key chains are the most popular weapon to carry. Most people don't realize it's a weapon. If someone breaks into your house, a softball bat or the lid from the toilet tank will kill someone very effectively. If you are on the street, rocks or landscaping bricks are great equalizers. Put a brick inside your shirt and swing it around. A pool ball/lock/rock inside a sock seems goofy, but is a brutally lethal weapon. Or, even better, if you know self-defense well enough, in an urban environment you are likely to be on a paved surface. Any sort of physical takedown - from an exotic martial arts throw to an old-fashioned football tackle - presents a very real physical danger of broken bones or concussion to the one who hits the pavement. Try to land on top of him. When dealing with a group such as the one who confronted you, if you take out the leader (he was the one talking and probably the adult of the group), the others will almost always run. The down side is that if you try to engage him and lose, the others will be there kicking you while you are down. Like the '3 second rule' with women, you have about three seconds to start kicking the alpha male's a55. Don't let him grab you or hold you down, or the other guys will jump in. If it looks like you are going down, then abandon the fight and run like hell, screaming bloody murder while you still can. And wear sensible shoes. You can't run or fight in flip-flops.

LowPlainsDrifter

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
>The problem with the gun is that after they are dead, you look like the bad >guy. The more I learn about the practical implications in the legal system (I am >no lawyer either, btw), the more I am attracted to the idea of weapons that >don't look or seem like weapons.

There's always the chance of being criminally prosecuted, but as the saying goes, "I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by six."
As a matter of fact, more and more states are passing so-called "make my day" laws that increasingly affirm the right to defend oneself against a criminal attack, even with a handgun.

In principle, Bible, you make a good point that there are other self-defense possiblities than guns, but I think the sort of improvised weaponry you're referring to still doesn't make your average ordinary citizen the equal of their attacker. Having a gun enforces the right mindset as far as carry, concealment, use and consequences. It's a more disciplined approach to self-defense than, "I'll just swing with whatever heavy object I can pick up."
It's also more of an equalizer for women and men who aren't strong.
I mean really, if a spouse or girfriend called you and said, "I think there's someone in the house" are you really going to say, "well, honey, call 911, then take the lid off the toilet tank and prepare to swing it as hard as you can?"
If she can't or won't wield that improvised weapon effectively, the intruder will simply grab it out of her hands, and toss it away, or use it against her.
A gun is a "standoff" weapon. Unless the intruder has gained complete tactical surprise, she could back off and use it without danger of it being taken away. Yes, a gun can still be taken away and used on a defender, but it's still a better option than nothing at all.

Friendly Otter

Don Juan
Reaction score
DJ Mac, of course you should go ahead and prosecute. It is understandable that you worry about repercussions, and I won't lie to you, it could happen. But it is much more rare than witnesses think. Because these guys will already have gotten in trouble from attacking you once, they'll know there's a good chance you call the police on them the second time too, and the police and the court are definitely going to believe you, not them, when that happens. So they'll try attacking easier prey instead, when they get out.

Also, get a gun! It is only going to get worse. Buy a gun and learn how to use it, and you'll never be sorry you did. (Note that this advice is from a Swede, and I'm supposed to be the tree-hugger, right? But I have lots of experience with the U.S., and I have read the statistics. And it's the same in Sweden. I wish I had the right to buy a gun to protect myself, with gun-toting Bosnian and Middle Eastern gangs on the increase, but that right has been taken away from us. If you don't use a right, you'll lose it.)

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Dogs are actually my favorite form of home defense, but it is of course impractical to take them everywhere. Women are a good argument for guns, I admit. But most women will not take the time to learn how to use a gun. A gun is only as good as its bearer.

Climax

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
hmm...

dude, the guys that are still young will be too scared to do anything like this again, so I doubt u will need to worry about them. And the adult, well I don’t think he will be willing to risk it either. I mean... You have nothing that this guy could possibly want? no money, no expensive phone, nothing. Coming anywhere near you would be foolish. Get a restraining order against all 4 of them, and go on with your life.

In court just say that you do not appreciate being mugged in your own premises and that they cant just try rob you and expect you to let them get away with it. They need to think twice next time and/or think of better ways of making money and that turning to criminal offences will only land them up in a court room and/or a jail cell.

Laterz..

DJMaC23

Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the advice, I really do appreciate it...I've been hitting the gym harder since, trying to get my lean mass gains up haha