Need protein (also, how to season tuna?)

Disconnect

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Anyway, here's my problem. I'm kinda low on financer right now, so buying whey powder is out of the question at the moment. But I still need like 350 g of protein a day. Even with protein shakes added into the diet, I end up eating like 4-5 cans of tuna and 2 cups of cottage cheese. Without the shakes, I have no idea what I'll do. Do you have suggestions for cheap alternative sources of protein?

Also, I hate tuna. What's your way of seasoning it so it doesn't taste like tuna but an actual meal?

Thanks!

She makes you weak in the knees.

But she won't give you the time of day.

Here is how to get her.

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
In my opinion, you do not need 350g of protein a day. 1.0-1.5g of protein/lbs of body weight would probably be just fine.

I get my whey protein for like 20 bucks. Lasts a month. tastes good. about 24g/serving.

Disconnect

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Nice. I go to gnc and get the 10 lbs for $90.

How much protein should one have in shake form per day? Is there too much? I try to get at least 200g from clean food. Rest comes from shakes.

Diesel's cutting guide says 2g of protein/#, so it's 350g for me. Or is there some lenience in that rule?

dirtysanchez

Don Juan
Reaction score
Whey is the cheapest source of protein available (cost/servings ratio). Buy in bulk over the net instead of going to supplements stores. Eggs and skim milk powder are also some good choices if you have a tight budget.

Disconnect

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks. Any sites to recommend?

Eggs are a little impractical in terms of protein to fat ration while on a cutting diet, though.

dirtysanchez

Don Juan
Reaction score
Disconnect said:
Thanks. Any sites to recommend?

Eggs are a little impractical in terms of protein to fat ration while on a cutting diet, though.
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store - overall has the cheapest prices for all supplements I've seen on the net.

Don't be afraid of taking in good fats (i.e. egg yolks, nuts, olive oil, avacados...). It's very important you have 20-35% of your calories coming from good fat sources for your overall health. The fats you need to avoid are the bad fats (i.e. saturated fats and trans fats).

dirtyvibe

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
the mercury from 4-5 cans of tuna per day will **** up your brain/ nervous system after a while..

Bad_Lil'Pixie

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
If you are still wanting to spice up your tuna, I drain it very dry and sprinkle it with dill weed and then sqeeze the juice of a lemon on it to remoisten. You can find dill weed in the spice area of the supermarket. Warning: A little goes a long way!

I buy the gold and black BumbleBee can of solid white tuna in water, it may be a little more expensive BUT it not mushy and yeilds a larger serving after being drained.

Cash

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
350 grams aged 18.

You must be one big cat?

Potbelly

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I do this. I add some relish, some finely chopped celery, some parsley, some chives, 1 tbsp mayonnaise (miracle whip/low fat), and a few dabs of tabasco sauce.

Then I mix and if it's too wet, I will add some crumbs. Of course, I drain it well before.

Desdinova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Go to the store and get yourself a big tub of Whey for $20, and it lasts a while. You'll get more protein out of that than 20 cans of tuna. Don't buy it from known expensive stores like drug stores, because they'll rip you off. Go to well known grocery stores that are known for low prices, and you should be able to find a nice big tub of it

However, tuna is fantastic for when you're cutting.

Shiftkey

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't bother seasoning tuna (though it might not be a bad idea). I just drain the water and add a tbsp of mayo, then stick it between some whole grain bread. Tastes great IMO.

I also don't recommend eating more than a few large cans a week.

Disconnect

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
****, I didn't know the mercury was bad. Today I ate .8 kg in tuna. Am I gonna die?

Thanks for the seasoning tips, guys!

@Desdinova: what stores sell whey in bulk? I went to GNC and got 10 lbs for $90. That either lasts a month, or in comes the tuna.

BTW I'm not big - 170 lbs at 14.5 % bf. That was 16 a while ago, so Diesel's diet works. It says eat weight * 2 grams of protein, hence the large amount of protein.

On that note, is this amount really necessary? Or can I do just as well on less protein?

Last edited:

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Canned tuna is a little better in regard to mercury levels, but it still has some mercury. Pregnant women and young kids are supposed to avoid it altogether. You'd probably be fine eating all the tuna you want for the rest of your life. But the problem with heavy metals like lead and mercury is that they tend to accumulate in the body over years. The phrase 'mad as a hatter' from Alice in Wonderland comes from the practice of Victorian dry cleaners who would rub mercury into stains to remove them, usually handling the mercury with bare hands. It took society a long time to figure out why every dry cleaner seemed so nutty.

Reaction score
I like to get Optimum Nutrition's 100% Whey from http://www.vitaglo.com/100whey10lb.html. That's the best price I've found on the stuff as of now (if anybody else knows a better deal, please post!). I'm taking in about the same amount of protein every day, and while I get a majority of it from food, the whey really helps to supplement your protein intake to where you want it to be. As others have said, whey will also be the most cost efficient way.

simon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you're worried about mercury you could always look into supplementing with chlorella or spirulina which are both said to help with getting rid of heavy metals. Not sure how true that is, though.