Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Need a new workout. Help?

WesCottII

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've been doing a workout Warboss sent me for a while, gained a couple of Kg, and then when I felt the routine should change, sorta fannied about.

I still want to base around Squat/Bench/Deadlift and have a base workout :

Day one: Legs/shoulders
Squats (have been doing 2X5 (plateaued at 120kg/264lbs)
Squats (was doing 1X20, but will changing it up help me grow?)
Military press
Handstand press

Day two: Chest/tri's
My chest is sooo weak and barely seems to grow...
Incline bench 2X failure
Skullcrushers
dips
Abs

Day three: Back/biceps
Deadlift 2X5
Pull ups 3X failure
Row 2X10
Bicep curl of some-sort 2X8-10

Should I add some more excersizes in there? Is there enough intensity in there? I seem to be plateuing at 65kg. Desperate to gain. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Be more specific about your plateauing - where are you failing the squat exactly? You may need core and/or hip work.

20 rep squats should stay in there no matter what.

You can always try 3 x 3 for your main exercises instead of 2 x 5 (except deadlifts).

You're having trouble with your chest while always going to failure; DON'T go to failure, stop one rep short.

Another bench assistance movement e.g. db hammer press or close grip bench may help out your inclines.

However before you answer any of these questions, give me an HONEST typical day's eating, every last detail.

WesCottII

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Allright man,thanks, here goes.

Breakfast: Weetabix + Rice Krispies with skimmed milk.
Lunch : Could be anything, whilst at home usually Cheese on toast or Spaghetti Bolognase.
Dinner: Usual "mum-made" stuff. From Chips/fries, to Chilli con carne, to...well anything.

I try to pack calories in after a workout, Whey protein shake + going to subway/Kfc/Burger king.

As far as squats go, I just got to 120kg/264lbs (2X5) and couldn't lift a Kg heavier. I think this might be a form problem, I recently (as in last session) dropped the Kg's and concentrated on getting "ass to the grass". Any further "modifications", I'll think about taking it back to the Smith machine.

Chest, as I don't have a spotter, it can be difficult to get a heavier bench presses and/or dumbells.

Btw, I weigh 143lbs/65kg.

white belt

Don Juan
Reaction score
WesCottII said:

Lunch : Could be anything, whilst at home usually Cheese on toast or Spaghetti Bolognase.
Dinner: Usual "mum-made" stuff. From Chips/fries, to Chilli con carne, to...well anything.

I try to pack calories in after a workout, Whey protein shake + going to subway/Kfc/Burger king.

As far as squats go, I just got to 120kg/264lbs (2X5) and couldn't lift a Kg heavier. I think this might be a form problem, I recently (as in last session) dropped the Kg's and concentrated on getting "ass to the grass". Any further "modifications", I'll think about taking it back to the Smith machine.

Chest, as I don't have a spotter, it can be difficult to get a heavier bench presses and/or dumbells.

Ok if there is something that I know about it is plateus and also how to gain the hard way. It has taken me two years to be able to train proper, 2 friggin years on my own working out what is best for me and how I can gain muscle optimally. Firstly I managed to work out how not to gain the 'hard way' and now I gain the 'not so hard way.' Secondly I have finally worked out a way to bust through plateus.

Right, like yourself I do not have a spotter for my chest I just bench as much as possible, on occasion the bar falls on me but I have managed to develop a risky role out technique whereby I ease the bar onto the bench and pivot myself out. Besides that chest is the staple exercise for any serious bodybuilder or those that want the manliest looking muscles of all the pec. To be able to add muscle you must bench as much as possible, I bench 3 times a week.

However in saying that I was looking at your regime above and you have no proper exercise to effectively target those triceps. Triceps are an important muscle when benching or any push movement for that fact and any increase will add your bench press. Furthermore you need to do other exercises to increase your chest muscle, i.e. dumbell flies etc.

So your rountine for an effect chest exercise may look like this, bench1 warmup and 3 work set, incline 3 work sets, incline or normal dumbell flies. Here you are doing 3 different exercises targetting the chest, this is effectively known as supersetting and is a sure fire way for improvement however high intensity is required and that will take time to develop. This may then be followed by working your triceps because they will be at the very least pumped from all the benching to triceps extension or barbell tricep extensions, 1 warm up 3 work sets would work well here.

Now you mentioned plateaus with regards to the chest, i.e. I take it you mean that you cannot add more weight to your set. Another effective method was the following:
1 warm up set of the bench, then I would do a heavier than normal bench being only able to do 3-6 reps at the most, 1 or 2 sets. I would then follow this by dropping the weight to lower than you would normally bench and go for reps i.e. drop 5% from normal and go for 10 reps x3 sets. This increases your intensity and in a week or so you will be able to bench your normal workout weight more effectively and then move on.

Try it see how it goes, adding muscle takes time, it can be v frustrating but stick at it and work hard and the gains will come
:yes:

donjuanjovi

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
white belt said:
However in saying that I was looking at your regime above and you have no proper exercise to effectively target those triceps.
He has both skull crushers and dips. Both very good tricep exercises. When was the last time you changed your routine?

Jariel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
WesCottII said:

I only have my own experience to go by, but I believe there's not enough protein in your diet. Whey protein is great post workout but generally I try to get more protein in my meals throughout the day and base many of them around chicken, eggs (whites) and tuna, and drop many of the simple carbs like white bread, pasta and the chips.

manuva

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
WesCottII said:

The big fella (Warboss) is gonna go nuts when he sees this lol.

Suffice to say, you are not eating enough and that is most likely causing your plateaus. You need to start slamming down protein-rich food like its a competition.

You don't have any decent protein source for breakfast, which means your body goes without protein from dinner at night until lunch time the next day - thats approximately 18 hours without protein!! Usually you'll be catabolic (breaking down muscle instead of building it) within 3 hours of your last protein hit. Think about the damage you're doing here.

I trust Warboss Alex will have a lot more to say on this matter. If he doesn't get round to it, let me know and I'll add some more.

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of trying to time meals to take advantage of anabolic vs. catabolic states (I believe the body regulates what you take in pretty well over 24 hours, except in the magic post-workout void), but I agree wholeheartedly that you're not getting enough protein at all. Eggs. Milk. A lot of each. Especially at breakfast. Lather, rinse, repeat throughout the day. Drink lots of water so that you don't drive your kidneys nuts.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You managed to gain weight with a diet like that!?

You need 250-300g of protein a day and I can barely see any in your diet. Eat this over 5-6 meals. Have a protein drink with a couple of eggs for breakfast for a start.

This is why people chop and change their routine like every month.. they initially gain then gains stop - they think it's the routine, so change the routine, and repeat this ad infinitum, thinking they've got super-drop-giant-triple-bypass set everything and do much more volume when the simple fact is they just need to eat more!

Wescott, stick with the routine as it is, work up to 250-300g protein every day and 3000 kcal and I promise, your gains will take off again. :)

WesCottII

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys, sorry for the delay, my computer packed up.

A futher question is my chest, as I'm having real trouble making it grow, atm I do

Incline Bench 2X5 (first on smith, then on the machine, as I can't get the weight up on smith)
Dumbell bench (again difficult to get the weight up as I have no spotter, so getting the heavier wieghts into position is a problem)
Machine flies

Would anyone mind explainng a good chest day?, as mine doesn't seem to grow or get stronger.

Thanks

Tom.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
WesCottII said:
Thanks for the advice guys, sorry for the delay, my computer packed up.

A futher question is my chest, as I'm having real trouble making it grow, atm I do

Incline Bench 2X5 (first on smith, then on the machine, as I can't get the weight up on smith)
Dumbell bench (again difficult to get the weight up as I have no spotter, so getting the heavier wieghts into position is a problem)
Machine flies

Would anyone mind explainng a good chest day?, as mine doesn't seem to grow or get stronger.

Thanks

Tom.
The chest day you have there works fine although I question the need for machine flies.

Not growing is one thing - it's the not getting stronger I don't like. That's why you're not growing. Why exactly are you not progressing? Are you trying to up the weight and don't get it? Are you not getting the right rep range? Be more specific mate. :)

cuzza

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
My typical chest day goes like this...

Bench - 3x8
Incline Dumbell Press - 3x8
Dumbell Flies - 3x8
Dips - 3x8

I feel I get a really good workout after that, and since I've gone to that I've seen pretty good results... my bench is constantly increasing at a nice rate.