Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

My routene

affirmed

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Hmm, despite reading a lot here, I didn't feel totally comfortable in my knowledge so I got my gym people to write me up a program to follow which sounded reasonable at least to my relatively uninformed eyes. I'll post it now for criticisms, if you could correct anything you think is wrong that would be great, baring in mind I'm not a big guy and am looking to build muscle mass and strength too...

Works on alternate days, Arms + Chest and Back, Shoulders + Legs.

Chest + Arms
------------------------
Bench Press. 4 sets. x12, x10, x8, x6 on increasing weights.
Flies x 4 as above, same weight each time. *

Chest press x 3 supersets, 50kg x 10 and then straight into 40kgx 10 for example.

Bar Curl, 4 sets, x12, x10, x8, x6
Cable Curl, 3 sets of 21 (raising low seven times then high then complete for last seven) *

Down Press (forgot the name, like cable curl only opposite) x 4 sets of 12-15 to dips until fail supersets.

crunches, 3 sets to fail on inclining bench

*supersets (originally these were separate but they said it would be okay to superset them as my workout was taking more than an hour

Legs + Back + Shoulders
------------------------------
Vertical Row x 4 sets 12, 10, 8, 6
B/O Row on the bar x 4 sets 12 10 8 6 *

Shoulder Press upright on bench, 4 sets 12, 10, 8, 6 reps
Upright row (on cable curl machine) x 3 sets of 10 reps *

Squats x 5 sets 12-15 reps

Calf Raises x 3 sets 15 reps

*supersets imposed after I'd been training a while to keep time below hour as before.

I'm really not sure how much sense this makes. I find the squats absolute hell and get fatigued so bad after 3 sets if I really push myself that 5 seems too much? Some of the reps seem to high? Is it neccessary to have four sets on some of these excercises? not questioning their wisdom... just want your take?

I train mondays, wednsdays and fridays

Thanks

Soshyopathe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You have to feel yourself out. Start with 3 sets per excersize and see how your body reacts. Some guys can put in similar effort for 5-6 sets on one excersize. I break down after 1 set and a few forced reps. If you are a guy who feels good after 1 or 2 sets, then compensate by doing a larger variety of lifts from different angles and such.

Recent research suggests that smaller muscles should have higher reps. So you shouldn't be squatting more than 10 reps, preferably under 8. It's a power move after all.

Since you have 3 days per week to lift, why don't you do a 3-day split instead of a 2-day split? Day 1 should be legs, Day 2 should be push (chest, tris, delts), and day 3 should be pull (back, bis, lats). Doing many sets may not be as good as doing 1 very intense set. Just play around for a bit.

Drug_L0rd

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
not enough leg work and not enough tricep work

and why are you doing chest and ARMS on the same day?

instead try:

chest and tri

back and bi

legs and shoulders

that's much better

pick about three exercises for each body part

if you're aim (as i'm guessing) is to just have hypertrophy gains then just do 10-15 reps on each exercise

you don't have any work for your hamstring

you don't have any work for your lower back

you don't have any work for your traps

if i were you, i'd take one of those back workouts out (leave the bent over rows in) and put deadlift in it's place instead

i don't really care what you do with the super-sets and all, that's up to you

affirmed

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Without sounding like a ****head could anyone properly lay out this 3 day split, reps and excercises. Baring in mind I'd ideally like strength and mass gains, I'm fairly small build and I only bench say 50kg x 10 first set....

I think a 3 day split is the way to go to stay more motivated and cut down on training times plus it seems training chest and arms is a bad idea judging by the last post. Anyone who could lay it out in a kind of 'I could print this out and refer to it while training' sort of a way would be deemed 'awesome' by myself.#

ta.

semag

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'll post my 3 day split, with exercises and reps, and people can change that for you (I'd like the input too...) I'm trying to cut right now, so that's why I went to a 3 day split, and a 3 day cardio... You'll see...

Day 1 - Chest and Tris:
depends on when I get there/how many people there are
if there's a lot of people, I'll try to get a bench that moves from flat to incline and do most of my exercises with that at once. So, possibly interchange a dumbell flat bench with the first set here.

most of the time:
Flat Barbell bench.
~ 10 warmup at relatively low weight, get muscles used to the movement. For me it's about 10 - 12 at 95, with half reps, quarter reps, full reps, just testing out the range of motion
----
10 x 145
8 x 165
6 x 185
4 x 205
3 x 225

(note that it goes up just by 10's on each side (20lbs) each time... find something easy like adding 5's each time, and it makes it good. + 5 - 10 lbs per set is my normal gauge)
----
Skull crushers:
3 sets
7 x 20 lbs.
7 x 20 lbs
7 x 20 lbs.
NOTE: Each set is followed by a quick 7 rep bench press, but because you're using the curl bar, and the placement of hands, it works as a kind of closed grip BP.
----
Incline DB:
10 x 50
8 x 55
6 x 60
----
Dips or tricep extensions:
2 sets, something that you can get about 5-7 reps
----
Flys:
3 sets fof 7 reps
----
individual arm tricep extension, with hand facing you... don't know quite what it's called. 2 - 3 sets... most of the time 2 sets.

Day 2: Cardio (for me)
5 min warm up
6 sets of 20 second wind sprints followed by 10 second rests
3-5 min cool down

Day 3: Back and Bis and shoulders

Start with 3 sets of pull ups, hands facing away from you, I go for 7-7-7. If you can do that too easily, get a belt to attach a weight to. Get your reps into the 5-7 range.
----
Preacher Curl:
3 sets
10 x 15
8 x 20
6 x 25
----
Seated DB military press
10 x 40
8 x 42.5
6 x 45
----
Bent over DB row.
3 sets
10 x 60
8 x 65
6 x 70
----
seated individual DB curl.
2 sets
6 x 27.5
6 x 27.5
----
Standing vertical DB flys, where you stand and raise your arms as if you're flapping
3 sets
6 x 25-30
----
seated Cable Row
3 sets
10 x 120
8 x 130
6 x 140
----
individual cable curl, hand facing away when you curl the handle
8 reps
6 reps

day 4: Cardio, same as above

day 5: Legs and abs
I normally throw a plate on each side of the leg press, and warm up with a quick 10- 15 on that. then on the the workout
Squat:
10 x 155
8 x 175
6 x 195
4 x 215
----
Decline crunches, 3 sets with a 35 lbs on chest
10 reps each time
----
leg extension (3 sets)
10 - 8 - 6
----
leg curl? The one where you lay on your stomach and pull your legs to your butt.
3 sets
10 - 8 - 6
----
maybe 2 sets at leg press
8 -6

I'm still working on my leg endurance, so I don't have quite as many exercises for them yet...

day 6: cardio like before

-------------------------------

All right buddy, hope that helps.... I know you don't use english weights, but that's just to show you about how much I go up each time... not the direct weights, look at the increase in weight.

Templeton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Damn!

I had just compiled a quite detailed reply to this thread taking me about 15 mins and when I went to post it my user name had been logged out so I lost it all!

How can I avoid this please guys? I'm not really a computer type person:mad:

Thanks

affirmed

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
If I've written a long post I usually copy it to the clipboard before hitting post just incase there are any problems.

That post was fairly informative but isn't very similar to the excercises I do at the moment any back up posts to gauge how useful it would be for me?

Templeton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Will try and redo the post I set out a little later. I think you should change some stuff to get nearer to the results you desire.

Triangulo

Don Juan
Reaction score
Monday:chest+back+legs wed: shoulders+bi+tri fri:same as monday sun:same as wed.

is this good? or is it too much for one day? I wanna workout everyother day.......what you guys think its best?

isnt the best to workout each muscle twice a week?

Last edited:

Templeton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Triangulo
Monday:chest+back+legs wed: shoulders+bi+tri fri:same as monday sun:same as wed.

is this good? or is it too much for one day? I wanna workout everyother day.......what you guys think its best?
Yea you could do that but legs, chest AND back in one workout will be very demanding - should be doing regular, heavy deadlifts and squats and in my view to do them in the same workout is too much. This is what I would recommend and essentially what i posted before albeit it briefer.

Based on the original thread: Your bodypart groupings and days per week are on the right track but you need to do more basic exercises ie heavy compund movements and place much less emphasis on your arms - they will get most of their work with the heavy movements I will include.

Forget about 3 and 4 way splits for the time being - splitting the body in two is ideal and you should be doing minimal exercises and sets and really working them hard.

This is a 2 way split I find very effective.

Legs, Shoulders and Biceps.

Back, Chest and Triceps.

3 non-consecutive days as you are doing is fine or you could do every other day which is slightly more - up to you.

Abs twice per week.

WORKOUT A

LEGS: Squats or Leg Press - 2 x 10 (warm up) 3 x 12-8, 1x20
Hamstring Curl - 1 x 10 (warm up)
Romanian Deadlift 3 x 8-6
Calf Raise 2-3 x 12-20

SHOULDERS: Overhead Pressing - any variation. 2 x 10 (WU) 3 x 12-8

BICEPS: Incline DB curl or DB Preacher Curls 1x10, 3x12-8

Static stretches - esp hams. 30-60 second holds

WORKOUT B

BACK: Dorsal Raise (Hyperextensions) 1x12-15 (warm up for low back)
Deadlift 2x6(WU), 3x3 (Technique suffers all too early on deads so keep the reps down - heavy weight of course, Plus they are much better when done for low reps)
Chins 2 x max
BB Bent Rows 3 x 8-6

CHEST: Incline or flat pressing DB or BB 2x10, 3x12-6
Incline or flat (diff than you did above) flyes 3 x 8-6

TRICEPS: Close grip flat bench press 3-4 x 10-6

Stretching.

Cardio? You can do some mild cardio for 15-20 mins post workout to aid recovery but go easy. No need for any HIIT at this stage which if performed correctly will be too much for most beginners anyway.

This is basic heavy training and is what you need to be focusing on rather than BS like tricep pushdowns and side laterals or whatever.

I give you an example of the sort of thing I have found effective to give you a good solid base in strength and mass and I have given similar routines to plenty of guys who have gained well.

The bodypart groupings arent too important right now and there is no prob in putting chest with arms. So if you wanted to do your own groupings then of course do but i urge you to consider the more basic approach in exercise selection as I have outlined. Learn the movements correctly and then pile that weight on the bar whilst maintaining good form.

Supersets are great by the way but lay off them for a bit - get a good foundation then return to them.

Oh and also, use forced reps sparingly.

affirmed

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for that, looks good. A few terms I'm not quite up on? What's the 'romanian' deadlift? I've heard it's one hand gripped the opposite way but I don't know if that's true or not...

Chins? I probably know the excercise under a different name.

What do 'BB' and DB stand for?

And if anybody has a link to a site that shows the proper executions of all these excercises that would also be great and would save me asking redundant questions.

Templeton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by affirmed
Thanks for that, looks good. A few terms I'm not quite up on? What's the 'romanian' deadlift? I've heard it's one hand gripped the opposite way but I don't know if that's true or not...

Chins? I probably know the excercise under a different name.

What do 'BB' and DB stand for?

And if anybody has a link to a site that shows the proper executions of all these excercises that would also be great and would save me asking redundant questions.

OK. Romanian Deadlift. http://www.t-mag.com/nation_articles/250heavy2.html

Chins = Pull ups - Wide grip ideally but you may need to start with narrow. Overhand grip (palms away from you)

BB = Barbell
DB = Dumbbell

Reto

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There is no right or wrong work out. Do a routine that works for YOU.

I know this will sound strange to some, but I do one body part a day...I do something every day. Even if it's just a walk in the park.

Arms one day, chest one day, back one day, shoulders one day, and legs one day. Abs everyother day, cardio on alternate days.

My legs respond very well, so I do light one week, heavy the next. So do my arms. My chest is a different story, but that is how my body is.

I take a day off when I don't feel like working out. (that's actually my body saying, I've over trained).

Make it fun. Remember, your body is unique. What works for me, may not work for you. And vice a versa...You just got to find a routine that stimulates the muscles to grow, but that doesn't over train you...

affirmed

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah. I think power excercises work for me best.

Few more questions about templeton's routine.

CHEST: Incline or flat pressing DB or BB 2x10, 3x12-6
Incline or flat (diff than you did above) flyes 3 x 8-6

What's flat pressing? In relation to close grip flat bench? I don't understand. Any link to a site with explanations of different excercises with images would stop me asking stupid questions :D

And believe it or not the romanian deadlift page didn't clear it up for me at all, it was weird. I couldn't understand it. Argh.

Templeton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Erm...pressing on a flat bench as oppossed to an incline one! Don't know how else to put that really i'm afraid. Close grip merely refers to your grip on the bar - hands about 6 inches apart to best hit the triceps. Sometimes it's difficult to explain and you need to have exercises properly demonstrated.