Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

my only passion is video games...advice?

dynamicallyidle

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Please, spare me the hisses and the disses. I know this is not admirable.

I know passion is supposed to help you attract women, and people in general. But my passion happens to be for video games. No matter how much I try to quit them, I keep coming back to these silly computer games.

I think it's because when I try and go on a long break from video games, I realize that I do not have other passions that are strong enough to keep me occupied, so I go back to video games.

The sad thing is, before I was sucked in by video games, I was a well-liked person. Some girls were even approaching ME and asking me what was up. But that was years ago. Now, I am much more reserved. Call me crazy, but I am convinced that all this online socializing has kept my adeptness with words intact, but my BODY LANGUAGE has gone to ****. I find it hard to fake a smile, or tell a joke with enthusiasm and energy (because you don't need any of that on the internet).

I am somewhat passionate about classical piano, investing in stocks and real estate, and physical fitness. But when video games are around, I tend to start forgetting about these lesser passions.

Constructive advice anyone? A starting point on becoming my old self again? Thank you in advance.

April_Infinite

Don Juan
Reaction score
Piano and physical fitness? That's perfect, many pretty girls work out at the gym, just go once a week or something. And piano, I think a girl would go crazy if you can play well, and played something for her.

md3sign

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I think the type of games matter.

I was like that myself. I'm still struggling with it from time to time. Blizzard Entertainment is an evil, evil company. I spent years of my life playing StarCraft, Diablo 2, WoW, and God knows how much time I invested in CounterStrike. It is addicting but you have to keep asking yourself if you could be spending your time better. Personality matters too. I think I'm a little OCD by nature so when I get into something, I really get into it. It's a double edged sword. Right now I'm content because I work full time (coop) and I lift after work which leaves me with just enough time to check my email and talk to some friends online briefly before going to bed. Weekends if I don't have something planned I almost always find myself gravitating back to games. It's a struggle, but keep fighting!

Definitely find something that interests you and go balls to the wall with it if you have to. I got a free subscription to Maxim a while back and I read that thing front to back. It has a TON of ideas on things you can try.

Lost1

Don Juan
Reaction score
md3sign said:
I think the type of games matter.

I was like that myself. I'm still struggling with it from time to time. Blizzard Entertainment is an evil, evil company. I spent years of my life playing StarCraft, Diablo 2, WoW, and God knows how much time I invested in CounterStrike. It is addicting but you have to keep asking yourself if you could be spending your time better. Personality matters too. I think I'm a little OCD by nature so when I get into something, I really get into it. It's a double edged sword. Right now I'm content because I work full time (coop) and I lift after work which leaves me with just enough time to check my email and talk to some friends online briefly before going to bed. Weekends if I don't have something planned I almost always find myself gravitating back to games. It's a struggle, but keep fighting!

Definitely find something that interests you and go balls to the wall with it if you have to. I got a free subscription to Maxim a while back and I read that thing front to back. It has a TON of ideas on things you can try.

LOL counterstrike took over my high school years. God what i wouldnt do to have those days back I missed out on soo much!

Mayfly

Don Juan
Reaction score
as long as you are not beating one off to WarCraft I think you're alright :nono:

Old School

Don Juan
Reaction score
Dude! Drop the joystick.. What tha fvck? Not only are you not progressing as an individual, but your sabotaging any effort you would make. Really.. Stop playing.. When tempted go to the mall and attempt to pick up some girls. Hell make it a game.. Develop a point system, and maybe, and big maybe, a reward system giving you time to play your game.. I work with a girl who complained a lot about her husband playing to many games. I told her she wasn't exciting enough, that these games where more exciting than her. I suggested for her to do the same thing.. Make a game out of it.. Roleplay.. Wear some sexy, crazy ****.. Reward him.. Give him a little bit each time he successfully gets you off (QUESTS).. It worked..

dynamicallyidle

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Mayfly said:
as long as you are not beating one off to WarCraft I think you're alright :nono:
No, this is definitely not alright. Computer games have noticeably changed my personality and temperament.

yoimjamie

Don Juan
Reaction score
They changed mine too, and i recently had a revelation that they're the direct reason a friend of mine with whom i have strong feelings for STOPPED having strong feelings for me.

i'm committing myself to giving them up entirely. im gonna go on a long bike ride tomorrow and start working on fitness again.

my advice: find a GOOD reason to quit, something you really really want that you know games are standing in the way of, and then just do it cold turkey. for me, it's this girl.

if it'll inspire you at all i'll let you know how i go at quitting. if i can do it, you probably can

md3sign

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Old School said:
Dude! Drop the joystick.. What tha fvck? Not only are you not progressing as an individual, but your sabotaging any effort you would make. Really.. Stop playing.. When tempted go to the mall and attempt to pick up some girls. Hell make it a game.. Develop a point system, and maybe, and big maybe, a reward system giving you time to play your game.. I work with a girl who complained a lot about her husband playing to many games. I told her she wasn't exciting enough, that these games where more exciting than her. I suggested for her to do the same thing.. Make a game out of it.. Roleplay.. Wear some sexy, crazy ****.. Reward him.. Give him a little bit each time he successfully gets you off (QUESTS).. It worked..
LOL. You pick up chick. You have gained a level. Your health increases increases by 15, stamina by 1, intellect by 2.

Actually funny story. I lived with this girl I dated for about a year. I was into WoW back then. I remember one night I actually refused sex because I had to finish up a dungeon. Yea she was pissed at me for a while after that and told at least 1 person at every party we ever went to. Good times :rockon:

edit - cold turkey is the best way. You can't really ween yourself off them.

CactusMcDougal

Don Juan
Reaction score
Let me say, as a professional keyboard jockey from the age of 5, video games are great if you can practice moderation. Unfortunately, they have swallowed a good part of my life, and, conversely, the only people I was ever able to befriend in the past were the same. My biggest tip: Play video games all you want, but be sure it doesn't exceed the number of hours that you could be using to do something useful. I'm getting into the habit of going to school (6-7 hours), studying (4 hours), working around the house (1-3 hours), etc. Only after I've performing any other tasks required of me do I play any games.

Also, make it a habit to get out of the house every once in a while. I occasionally go to the mall on Saturdays just to walk around and enjoy some time out of my room. Any chance you can find a reason to get out, take it. In the long run, it will do you better than playing WoW for 18 hours on end.

yoimjamie

Don Juan
Reaction score
i dont trust myself and i get the feeling the OP doesnt either.

if you've tried moderation and you keep coming back, go cold turkey.

md3sign

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
WoW is such a life sucker. I spent 6 months on that game straight and didn't even hit lvl 60 ...

Cold turkey my friend. Do it and don't look back.

Actually I read a few game companies hire psychologists to come in for consulation on how to make their games more addicting. Food for thought.

yoimjamie

Don Juan
Reaction score
they sabotage the work/reward system your brain has in place, which was intended to make you do work and actually progress in life, but hijacks your mojo instead.

dynamicallyidle

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
yoimjamie said:
they sabotage the work/reward system your brain has in place, which was intended to make you do work and actually progress in life, but hijacks your mojo instead.
Yeah. I think it's ironic that it's often the people with a lot of potential that get sucked in.

yoimjamie

Don Juan
Reaction score
exactly, so dont let it. im not going to any more, and i only made the decision tonight.

its back to fitness for me, and it ****ing feels good to have finally made the decision. do it, make the commitment to yourself, you'll feel better straight away.

my problem is the girl i am after is just as into computer games as i am! but i can deal with that if she can.

Obsidian

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Conversationally speaking, your passion isn't much worse than mine -- politics. And realistically, I don't think music and fitness are very good conversation topics either. (I'm about as good at the piano as anyone, but it sure as hell hasn't helped me with women.)

I think you mainly have to just have to really analyze things and decide what you really want. Playing games is fun, but after a while (for me, usually an hour or two at a time), they can get kinda boring. Even after that point, tho, I'll sometimes keep playing anyway just because I can't think of anything else to do.

Every time you sit down at the computer, ask yourself if you're doing what will really make you the happiest overall. Make yourself take a break when you're playing primarily out of habit and not out of desire. Even if you can't think of something more interesting to do right off the bat, brainstorm and COME UP WITH SOMETHING. Go for a walk, go out and shop, call up a friend, eat out, see a movie, play an instrument, work out, etc. If you make a concerted effort to really think up things that you want to do and then DO them, you'll find that you're playing the computer less.

At least it works pretty well for me. I've gotten to where computer games don't thrill me as much anymore. That could just be from growing up more and maturing, I guess, but I don't think that's all. I still binge on computer games sometimes when there is nothing else to do, but overall I would not call myself obsessed.

Phoenix_of_the_ashes

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I dont think its a problem at all unless it interferes with the things that are "primary" in your life, studies, work etc.

Im sure there are hot chicks that like videogames. You need to move to Korea or something.

Henkel

Don Juan
Reaction score
I was like that also. The years I wasted playing Day of Defeat, Diablo 2, Civilization III, Fallouts etc... :( I haven't played anything for a while though, university takes a lot of time and the rest I try to work out(gym, swimming etc) and work on this self-improvement stuff.

You should propably justsit down and really think about how you're wasting your life doing something you don't get any real rewards from and get some real hobbies you feel passionate about. I have the same problem with useless Internet browsing so I'm working on the same problem also :p Good luck.

BacardiGuy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
A lot of women out there also play games. This girl in the dorm room next to me is a cheerleader, and brought her N64 up. We play mario kart all the time.

Make it more social, play with friends.