My first car...

Triple T

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
So I just got my license and I've been looking around for awhile for a car.
I came across this 1992 BMW 320i with 90,000 KMs and for only $6000.

Heres a pic of the car:
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g119/CABOOSE_photo/3c81_20.jpg

Its got M3 wheels & bodykit. LHD
Only thing I'm sketchy about is the vehicle history.
I would do a VIN check, if I could.

Its a japanese import so I don't know how to check the VIN for japanese cars?

Anybody know how to check a Japanese VIN?
Opinons on the 320i? Good or bad car?
Tips as to what I should look for when I go see it?

Levex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Triple T said:
So I just got my license and I've been looking around for awhile for a car.
I came across this 1992 BMW 320i with 90,000 KMs and for only $6000.

Overpriced.

It'd be about worth the price if it was a 5 series, but not for a 320i.

djtdot

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Triple T said:
Its got M3 wheels & bodykit. LHD
Only thing I'm sketchy about is the vehicle history.
I would do a VIN check, if I could.

Its a japanese import so I don't know how to check the VIN for japanese cars?

Anybody know how to check a Japanese VIN?
Opinons on the 320i? Good or bad car?
Tips as to what I should look for when I go see it?

BMW is German, not Japanese.

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
1. How is this a Japanese import? This is a German car.
2. Imported car, low mileage, 16 years old. Sounds fishy. Like odometer rolled back fishy.
3. 16 year old car. How much money are you willing to spend on repairs? BMWs aren't the most reliable. Do your research. Otherwise I can make up some statistics for you.
4. Be prepared for it to be worn out on the inside. The leather is cracked, it smells like death, and it generally dirty. Mostly rust spots on bare metal surfaces. Don't forget all the scratches.

These are very, very basic questions you asked. You obviously don't know what you're doing. The salesman/seller is going to eat you alive.

What you need to do:
Get some info about the mechanics, weak points, special lubricants and parts required, insurance costs, where to check the VIN (and is it a reputable source. carfax is useless btw), and other miscellaneous information. Most can be found on a BMW community forum.

Good luck with buying this piece of junk.

You'll be telling yourself later "at least I'm cool cause I got a beemer" when you're shelling out money on repairs.

Triple T

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Its imported from Japan...simple as that.
BMWs aren't JUST made in Germany you know, they have factories everywhere.
Its got low KMs because, well...its Japan. Everything is close together in that place. So they mostly walk instead of driving.
Apparently people just have the cars as a sign of their social status, and then they auction it off to used car dealers and then they buy a newer one every 3 years, google it.

I've seen many ads of BMW imports from japan in my local classifieds.
I'm not dealing with a salesman. Its a private sale. With some chick, shes pretty hot actuallly ;)

And yes, I did go on a BMW website (www.bimmerforums.com), they all said its a sick deal for such low KMs.
I also told them of all the problems it had when I went to look at it, they said I could get the price down. I could probally bargain the price down to $5000.

have you ever owned a BMW? How do you know they aren't reliable?
I have two uncles that have had their BMWs for over a decade, they still run strong but only if you maintain them.

however, I do agree with you that the odometer is fishy. Any way I can tell if its been tampered with or not?

brewbaron

Don Juan
Reaction score
I used to live in Japan, and like you said cars over there don't tend to accumulate a lot of miles. so I don't find that sketchy. but the fact that its hooked up, kit and m3 wheels, says it might have been driven hard. although Japanese are probably more prone than most to take care of their cars, its a status thing for one, and theres also a lot of car enthusiasts over there.

having said that, I don't know that a BMW is an ideal first car. repairs are going to be expensive. parts might be hard to get ahold of, did they even have a 320i in Canada? they didn't in the US. and from having driven a 323is of that same gen, its not a particularly exciting car to drive. there must be some other Japanese imports available in Canada that would make better choices. I dunno the exact rules but I think any 10+ old car can be imported from Japan right?

Triple T

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
brewbaron said:
I used to live in Japan, and like you said cars over there don't tend to accumulate a lot of miles. so I don't find that sketchy. but the fact that its hooked up, kit and m3 wheels, says it might have been driven hard. although Japanese are probably more prone than most to take care of their cars, its a status thing for one, and theres also a lot of car enthusiasts over there.

having said that, I don't know that a BMW is an ideal first car. repairs are going to be expensive. parts might be hard to get ahold of, did they even have a 320i in Canada? they didn't in the US. and from having driven a 323is of that same gen, its not a particularly exciting car to drive. there must be some other Japanese imports available in Canada that would make better choices. I dunno the exact rules but I think any 10+ old car can be imported from Japan right?

Yea some very valid points, however...why is it that because it has a kit and m3 wheels that it means it must have been driven hard?

Also, as far as parts go...its not too bad when looking for parts. Most e36 have interchangeble parts.
The only thing (most of the time) that costs alot for fixing/maintenence is the cost of labour.
But my two uncles + a ton of DIY sites will rid of most of the labour costs. ;)

But I'll see, if the seller doesn't lower her price more then I'm just gonna skip it.

Thanks for your opinoins guys. :up:

j0n024

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What the hell are M3 wheels??? I didnt know that BMW MADE wheels, most of the tires are continentals DOWN HERE but over there I wouldnt know...

BMW's are pretty good cars if you know how to take care of it and dont just rev the engine every time you stop at a light. TO me if your looking for a just run around town look good car that's pretty cheap get a suzuki.

Those are pretty decent for just day to day...a BMW is more along the lines of fun on the weekends, plus that one doesnt look that good to begin with.

I say get a Suzu or something along those lines...but that's just my opinion.

Plus it's Bimmer not Beemer.

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You're walking into problems.

This is your first car, and it should be something reliable and fun. When I was shopping for mine I could have gotten anything from a Mustang to an old Audi. I got a Subaru Impreza. Newer, in better shape, still fun to drive, and alot more reliable than an older car.

And I can always tune it when I got the money.

Good luck with your negotiations. It might be difficult if the owner is selling it. They think their baby is worth more than the market dictates.

j0n024 said:
Plus it's Bimmer not Beemer.
I'm going to play the Canadian Spelling card.

BlakeW5

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
If you're seriously going to consider getting this car research it first. Every car has it's quirks and each has common problems. Find a respectable BMW forum on the net and ask the guys what you should look for as far as wear-and-tear, problems, retail value, etc (specific to THIS model).

As far as the "it's been modded" comments... I find that most people that mod their cars are usually car guys. Thus, they tend to take better care of them (regular oil/fluid changes, etc.). While most people like the idea of a non-smoker, lady driven car, I don't. How many women do you know of that keep track of and perform scheduled maintenance on their cars? If they don't have a on-top-of-it husband/bf chances are they don't. Just because a cars been driven hard doesn't mean it's in bad shape.

In conclusion, just make sure you know what you're getting into. BMW's cost alot to maintain (like any import). As far as cost, a domestic would be far cheaper as far as repair and replacement part costs are concerned. At best you get (what appears to be) a nice, clean car at a reasonable price (still try to work her down). At worst, you get a money pit or quickly learn to be a backyard mechanic (a good skill to have IMO).

BlakeW5

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
j0n024 said:
What the hell are M3 wheels??? I didnt know that BMW MADE wheels, most of the tires are continentals DOWN HERE but over there I wouldnt know...
Wheels off of a BMW M3 perhaps?:p

All auto companies make wheels unique to their own cars

j0n024

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
BlakeW5 said:
Wheels off of a BMW M3 perhaps?:p

All auto companies make wheels unique to their own cars

They dont make wheels for their own cars they usually have a base package with mediocre tires and if you upgrade you get the "Signature," Tires...as for the M3 it seems there are some with the continentals and seems like the new tire for the 09 is from Dunlop.

Rollo Tomassi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
BMW, Break My Window.

Heheh,..sorry.

BlakeW5

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
j0n024 said:
They dont make wheels for their own cars they usually have a base package with mediocre tires and if you upgrade you get the "Signature," Tires...as for the M3 it seems there are some with the continentals and seems like the new tire for the 09 is from Dunlop.
Yes they do. Besides, we're talking about the wheels..... not the tires. Two very different things

Triple T

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
BlakeW5 said:
In conclusion, just make sure you know what you're getting into. BMW's cost alot to maintain (like any import). As far as cost, a domestic would be far cheaper as far as repair and replacement part costs are concerned. At best you get (what appears to be) a nice, clean car at a reasonable price (still try to work her down). At worst, you get a money pit or quickly learn to be a backyard mechanic (a good skill to have IMO).
Yea I've spoken to guys on several BMW forums. They all said that its a good deal regardless of the condition of the interior and scratches of the exterior. (they said it wouldn't cost much)

And I actually wouldn't mind having to work on the car. It'd be pretty fun, I work on my bikes all the time (retail about +$3000 btw) and I think its great fun.

...might be a good learning experience.
I'm just afraid of the costs of parts...
But then again, thats why theres a junkyard with a bunch of old BMWs in my city :up:

But we'll see...
I'm still doing my research. Thanks guys.

Triple T

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score

j0n024

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
BlakeW5 said:
Yes they do. Besides, we're talking about the wheels..... not the tires. Two very different things
No they dont, so basically your saying that Dodge,Chevrolet,Nissan,Mazda,Suzuki,Subaru,ect... make their own tires?

NO they dont..

Plus I thought "Wheels," WERE TIRES, if your talking about "Rims," Then me and you are not talking about the same thing.

BlakeW5

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
j0n024 said:
No they dont, so basically your saying that Dodge,Chevrolet,Nissan,Mazda,Suzuki,Subaru,ect... make their own tires?

NO they dont..

Plus I thought "Wheels," WERE TIRES, if your talking about "Rims," Then me and you are not talking about the same thing.
:smacks head:

Yes I'm talking about wheels... aka "rims". Rims are just a part of the wheel, the rim is just the outer rim of the wheel not including the spokes and hub. That's why I hate the term rim.

But no we're apparently not talking about the same thing. The car came with M3 wheels/rims. M3 wheels/rims are of course made by BMW.