Musical no talent bums such as nickleback and other pop music

cant think of a user name

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Man, everyone is bagging Nickelback. Got to feel bad for them...

Nickelback Get Pelted By Rocks In Portugal
Wednesday August 21, 2002 @ 03:30 PM
By: ChartAttack.com Staff

Nickelback
Nickelback

Nickelback are in the usually enviable position of being a Canadian band that's loved throughout the world — all the world except Portugal, it seems.

The band were playing the Ilha do Ermal festival in Portugal on Monday (August 19) when they were forced to walk off the stage in the middle of their second song. According to a Portuguese television report, the Portuguese public were looking forward to the concert and are generally well behaved — in fact, no band in recent memory has had to cut a show in Portugal short. But the Portuguese just weren't digging the ’Back.

While in mid-song, singer Chad Kroeger was suddenly sprayed with a full bottle of water, hurled from somewhere within the audience. Kroeger immediately tore off his guitar and confronted the crowd.

"Are there any Nickelback fans in Portugal?" he asked into the mic.

"Are you sure?" he asked, after the crowd let off little more than a grumble. "It's up to you, do you want to hear some rock 'n' roll or do you want to go home?"

Obviously, they wanted to go home. Just as Chad turned around, he was pelted in the back of the head with what looked like a large rock.

"See ya," he replied with a wave.

With that, the entire band followed him off the stage. Both Kroeger and drummer Ryan Vikedal (who's sporting a Rick The Temp faux mohawk these days) gave the audience the finger as they strode off.

Nickelback's label, Roadrunner, has posted video footage of the entire incident on the Blabbermouth section of their website. Luckily, it appears that Kroeger was unharmed by the rock.

Check out Chart's Nickelback cover here.

Cached

Mandiblard

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Wow, what ungrateful sad excuses for human beings. Nickelback haven't done anything wrong, i'm not a fan of their music but that's ridiculous, the world is f*cked up.

Road Demon

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Cile said:
If you want good music dont focus on the radio, that's nothing but a sheppard for the sheep. Look outside of mainstream. Try bands like:

Porcupine Tree - Rock, Progressive Rock with Pink Floyd influence
Riverside - Progressive Rock, heavy but with Punk Floyd Influence
Angra - Power metal
Isis - Post metal, pretty heavy but not a lot of vocals
Wintersun - Death Metal with Prog, very technical and beautiful melodically, this will rip any thing you listen to guaranteed, just stay open to harsh vocals
Agalloch - Very good Prog Metal
Children of Bodom - Standard Metal but nice starting point
Blind Guardian - Cheesy but you might like it
Dragonforce - Also cheesy at points but great guitar work
Ensiferum - If you like wintersun give this a try
Explosions In the Sky - Instrumental rock stuff if youre interested in exploring
Giant Squid - Prog Metal/Rock, very good but after a few listens
Kalmah - Death metal
Mogwai - Instrumental rock
Opeth - Prog Metal/Death Metal, another cornerstone band, much better than bands like Tool
Phideaux - Prog Rock
Sigur Ros - Very mellow rock
Symphony X - Prog metal
Transatlantic - Prog Rock/metal
Rosetta - Heavy stuff even for Post Metal but if you want to hear real musical exploration try this

Note, none of this stuff will ever be on the radio, but all of it is supperior to all the new music garbage out, referring to rock bands such as Nickelback

Hope this helps if youre serious about wanting some good music.
I agree 100%...

Tool & APC good in the mainstream.

Add Dreamtheather & Pain of Salvation to that list...

Brak86

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
cant think of a user name said:
Man, everyone is bagging Nickelback. Got to feel bad for them...

Nope. Nickeback blows so hard it isnt even funny. Have you heard their new "hit" single called Rockstar? It's trash. One of, if not THE worst songs I've EVER heard. While we're on the topic of terrible bands that I loathe, Creed sucks too.

For real music, check out Del Castillo (awesome band that fuses rock with flamenco spanish guitar), The Electric Light Orchestra rocks, too.

You all should check out some NUEVO flamenco artists like Strunz & Farah, Armik, Gipsy Kings, and Rodrigo & Gabriela.

Bonhomme

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There's always good and bad new music in any era -- mostly bad, because there are many more people who want to inflict their hideous sounds on others than there are people who have genuine talent. The older stuff seems to be better, because much of the bad stuff tends to be forgotten about 2 seconds after it becomes unfashionable.

Nickleback and the countless bands who sound just like them (why?) do blow moose meat.

Emo? On some level it disgusts me more than anything else because it originated with a great, super-intense punk band called Rites of Spring, 2 members of which resurfaced in Fugazi shortly after they disbanded. I wonder if any of their performances are on You Tube...

Often one does have to look outside the mainstream to find good bands and artists, such as Analog Missionary (middle eastern-influenced prog-goth), The Decks (nerdy kids playing wigged-out guitar new wave a la early Talking heads), Eleni Mandell (ecletic avant-Americana), Justin Clayton (great jangle-pop/rock with psychedelic and prog elements), Ethos (shimmering, catchy shoegaze pop), The Nice Device (New wavey guitar pop-rock), Brazilian Girls (eclectic dance music), Amp Fiddler (eclectic soul), The Hard Lessons (gritty, catchy rock-n-roll), Audra Kubat (dark acoustic folk), The High Strung (edgy power pop influenced by the Who, Buzzcocks, Beatles, etc.), Starling Electric (pop with superb songwriting), and Blanche (very strange dark humor gothic country with a post-punk edge). Sad thing is most of those are Detroit area bands I'd not even know of had I not lived here.

Appreciators of 60s rock who want a real treat, go to You Tube, and find A Quick One, by The Who, from the Rolling Stones' Rock-N-Roll Circus, in which they thrash the living hell out of what is essentially a pop song so righteously that it suspends belief. It's totally off-the-hook, yet tight as a watch spring. In fact, I'll go check it out now.

diplomatic_lies

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed how quickly modern music (anything made after 1960) tends to fade, but classical music tends to last for centuries? In 100 years nobody will know who Britney Spears is, but everyone will still know Mozart...

Bonhomme

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think everyone will know The Beatles, too.

djbr

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bonhomme said:
I think everyone will know The Beatles, too.
They last for ever I think. :D

Bonhomme

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
IMNSO, The Beatles were to 20th century music what Beethoven was to 19th century music, Mozart to 18th century music, and Bach to 17th century music.

Desdinova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
"Are there any Nickelback fans in Portugal?" he asked into the mic.

"Are you sure?" he asked, after the crowd let off little more than a grumble. "It's up to you, do you want to hear some rock 'n' roll or do you want to go home?"

Obviously, they wanted to go home. Just as Chad turned around, he was pelted in the back of the head with what looked like a large rock.
Kudos to Portugal :up:

It seems to me that the music industry just tells people what to like, and the followers nod in unison. But I've been seeing a lot of people giving up on the mainstream and discovering their own taste in music with bands that get no airplay. That also includes me. I'm personally tired of the force-fed garbage that is pushed upon the listeners.

BTW, metal fans should check out Altaria :)

Roly

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Some of the best musicians out there aren't famous at all. It's no brainer, but let's face it, it's all about making a trend these days.

thefonz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I blame the media

Look at American Idol, they bash the people who don't have "The total package" because America just won't go for that. Did Janis Joplin have the total package? Pink Floyd? These were ugly people that by today's standards would never make it in a market that has this ridiculous filter system set up to keep anyone who isn't 'perfect' from entering the limelight. The only bands relevant enough for me to listen to today are The White Stripes and Tool. The only reason Tool has even had a career this long is because they've gone to great lengths to avoid media exposure and let the music and work stand on it's own. They figured out long ago the media is overrated and parasitic and if you buy into it you're practically selling your livelihood.

Seriously, does anybody here really want to be famous?

I doubt it.

comic_relief

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
thefonz said:

I doubt it.
I do, but on my own terms :box:

comic_relief

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
thefonz said:
I blame the media

Look at American Idol, they bash the people who don't have "The total package" because America just won't go for that. Did Janis Joplin have the total package? Pink Floyd? These were ugly people that by today's standards would never make it in a market that has this ridiculous filter system set up to keep anyone who isn't 'perfect' from entering the limelight. The only bands relevant enough for me to listen to today are The White Stripes and Tool. The only reason Tool has even had a career this long is because they've gone to great lengths to avoid media exposure and let the music and work stand on it's own. They figured out long ago the media is overrated and parasitic and if you buy into it you're practically selling your livelihood.

I doubt it.
I like American Idol, because there are a lot of very talented singers you get to see for the first time on the show...but the producers are idiots. They cut the best people a lot of the time, though...or they "pimp" the ones they think are more "commercial". This year they cut a woman named Tami Gosnell who was amazing. First time I ever saw a woman sing Whipping Post and sound damn good. Last year Elliott Yamin had the best voice but he had messed up teeth and wasn't considered very good looking...but he has a voice reminiscent of Stevie Wonder and Donny Hathaway (he sounds so much like Hathaway). On a positive note, they have a couple of people I think have staying power...Lakesha Jones who can be seen on youtube singing And I'm Telling You I'm Not Going (from DreamGirls) and a Seattle guy who beatboxes AND can sing. Lakesha might stand a chance at winning, but they'll probably keep that lousy singing Antonella just because she's really pretty even though she couldn't sing her arse out of a paper bag.

Roly

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
There's a couple of Good Mainstream bands out there. I have to say that Incubus is one of them. I barely started listening to them today, I thought they were pretty good.

Reaction score
Ya most modern music sucks! Everything sounds the same rap/pop is filled with AFC type boring lyrics, the only good rap is old school! tupac, biggie, dre, snoop, old eminem, nas, jayz, NWA and others. Someone needs to shoot Paris Hilton, Fergie, Gwen Stefani, Beyounce and a bunch of new rappers in the face. Emo music sucks! they try to include punk or hardcore bands cuz they suck so bad, blink 182, sum 41 and Bullet for my valentine aren't EMO! they're punk. Also modern country sucks they sing the same sh*t over and over. Where is Johnny Cash! Only good new stuff are metal/hardcore like disturbed, KSE, Tool, BB, Godsmack, Rage and such.

Kinda pissed that WAAF 107.3 (used to be the best rock radio) started to play p*ssy rock like HINDER (barf), Creed and Nickleback.

comic_relief

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My roommate's punk-rock recommendations:
Choking Victim
Disrupt
Dead Kennedys
Unseen (lower class crucifixion)
Cheap Sex
****sparrer
Sham 69
Leftover Crack

My roommate's most hated musicians/bands:
Nickelback
New Metallica
Anything Hair metal
Any pop music
Anything Emo or country (excluding Johnny Cash)

Jello Biafra is an awesome musican and political activist. Listen to some of his speeches on youtube and alternativetentacles.com (My roommate and I are going to see him live on his "Spoken Word Tour" on Monday).

comic_relief