Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Motorbike

search1ng

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What up all,

Thought I'd get some major input from you guys.

So I'm thinking of getting a motorbike, already in the process of getting my license (such a $$ sink - I already drive a car, should have gotten both @ the same time...would have been cheaper)

Anyway, the Kawasaki ninja 250R 2010 model looks pretty sweet and i hear it's a awesome beginner bike.

Can i get some input in regards to this bike from any motorbike riders here, also, are there any better alternatives?

One thing that is putting me off slightly are all the accident statistics. Apparently most of them occur @ intersections. Whats the problem? As a driver i always see the motorbike riders, hasn't seemed to have been a visibility problem for me...

Just reckless riding on the bikers part?

Anyway would appreciate the input, cheers!

squirrels

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A universe...where heartbreak and sadness have bee
search1ng said:
What up all,

Thought I'd get some major input from you guys.

So I'm thinking of getting a motorbike, already in the process of getting my license (such a $$ sink - I already drive a car, should have gotten both @ the same time...would have been cheaper)

Anyway, the Kawasaki ninja 250R 2010 model looks pretty sweet and i hear it's a awesome beginner bike.

Can i get some input in regards to this bike from any motorbike riders here, also, are there any better alternatives?

One thing that is putting me off slightly are all the accident statistics. Apparently most of them occur @ intersections. Whats the problem? As a driver i always see the motorbike riders, hasn't seemed to have been a visibility problem for me...

Just reckless riding on the bikers part?

Anyway would appreciate the input, cheers!
Not everyone is as aware and responsible as you. Motorcycles are smaller than cars and, for some reason, after you're under a certain size, most Drivers either don't see you or lump'you in the same group'as bicycles and assume you will yield to them.

Always be looking for them, and always have an out in case they aren't looking for you. On a public road, always think, "what if?".

Kawi recently restyled the 250 into something that looks'like it's from this century. I'd say it's a good call for a starter unless you're just huge. If you're a bigger guy, look into a Suzuki SV650S...most of them come'with the full plastics now. They have the same low-end torque as the bigger bikes without the kind of high-end power that will get you into trouble.

What kind of riding do you plan to do? If you're looking to cruise, you may want to'check out "Proficient Motorcycling" by David Hough. If you see yourself getting into some serious back-road burning or track time, you may also want to check out "Total Control" by Lee Parks. Both good books for a starting sportbike rider.

And always wear your gear. I've crashed enough to understand how important it is. :p Of course no one plans to crash, but when you do you'll be glad you gave up a little comfort for some good protection.

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
squirrels said:
Suzuki SV650S...most of them come'with the full plastics now.
Neat bike and it looks good when you take off the front end too, naked bike style.

And always wear your gear. I've crashed enough to understand how important it is. :p Of course no one plans to crash, but when you do you'll be glad you gave up a little comfort for some good protection.
You can get riding jackets and gloves that stiffen on impact thanks to this new type of Non-Newtonian fluid armor. They call it "Armadillo D30" Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VDeJ7rLUYU

They sells jackets on http://www.ArmadilloScooterWear.com

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I just sold a friend's R1 today. I had a great ride delivering the bike.

The 250 is a good idea. A 500 or 600 might also be ok as a beginner bike. My first motorcycle was a 1990 Suzuki GS500e.

Take the safety course:
http://online2.msf-usa.org/msf/Default.aspx

and always wear gear: jacket, helmet, and gloves are a minimum. Dress for the crash, not the ride:
http://www.rideicon.com/

Good luck!

Rogue

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
According to the well-known Hurt study, by Harry Hurt, University of Southern California, approximately 75% of motorcycle accidents involved a collision with another vehicle, usually a passenger automobile. The driver of the other vehicle usually violated the motorcyclist’s right-of-way, and caused the accident in two-thirds of those motorcycle accidents, often violating traffic controls.

There are no real distinguishing factors involving the drivers of the other vehicle except that they are often of the ages of 20 to 29 or beyond 65. It should be no surprise that the biggest distinguishing factor is that the automobile drivers are generally unfamiliar with motorcycles.

Most of these motorcycle accidents usually occur at an intersection. The most frequent type of motorcycle accident at an intersection is where the motorcycle proceeds straight while the automobile approaches the motorcyclist from the opposite direction and makes a left turn in front of the oncoming motorcycle. (This is also a common accident involving two cars.)

While weather is not a factor in 98% of motorcycle accidents, the view of the motorcycle was obstructed by glare or other vehicles in almost half of accidents between a car and a motorcycle. Although weather and even glare may not always be the cause, the biggest cause of motorcycle accidents with another car is the other driver’s failure to see the motorcycle until it was too late to afford the collision.

The ability of the motorcycle to stand out and be seen by other drivers is a critical factor in multiple vehicle accidents. The likelihood of a motorcycle accident was found to be significantly reduced by using motorcycle headlamps during daylight and the wearing of high visibility yellow, orange or bright red jackets. Consequently, there appears to be a good argument that loud pipes helped to reduce motorcycle accidents.

http://www.hurt911.org/articles-motorcycle/motorcycle-accident-intersection.html
While not a sports bike, I'm buying a Yamaha Vstar 650 later this year.

vatoloco

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
According to the well-known Hurt study, by Harry Hurt, University of Southern California, approximately 75% of motorcycle accidents involved a collision with another vehicle, usually a passenger automobile. The driver of the other vehicle usually violated the motorcyclist’s right-of-way, and caused the accident in two-thirds of those motorcycle accidents, often violating traffic controls.
That's why in the MSF course, they teach you to ride "like everyone's out to kill you." Because they are. That's how I ride: like everyone's out to kill me. It's saved me from several close calls with drivers who are not paying attention...

Most of these motorcycle accidents usually occur at an intersection. The most frequent type of motorcycle accident at an intersection is where the motorcycle proceeds straight while the automobile approaches the motorcyclist from the opposite direction and makes a left turn in front of the oncoming motorcycle. (This is also a common accident involving two cars.)
And I believe it's one of the deadliest too. I ALWAYS flash my high beams when in this situation. I don't care if the car is stopped and has its blinker on, I'm flashing my high beams to remind him/her and I'm coming down the road. You know, just in case the person is on the phone, texting or something... :rolleyes:

Rogue

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The link I cited, stated:
Consequently, there appears to be a good argument that loud pipes helped to reduce motorcycle accidents.
Question: do loud pipes really save lives?

I've read it's a myth, because the sound is projected backwards and motorcycles are barely audible once you are in motion. I do have to say that of all the times I've been riding my scooter and some jackass motorcyclist decided to pass me in my own lane, I never knew the motorcycle was there until it was passing me. My scooter is quiet, I hear much better on a scooter than I ever could in a car, so if I can't hear a motorcycle while in motion then a car driver probably cannot. The only situation I could imagine is a motorcycle pulling up to traffic stopped at a traffic light, but in that case you're slowing down anyway. Of much greater importance, of course, are bright colors.

Just the other day a friend advised that I should consider getting loud pipes when I get my motorcycle, but I question the wisdom, especially since I would hate to contribute to noise pollution.

search1ng

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for the link to AAAgents motorbile thread. Some really good info in there.
Man half this info is scaring me, but bikes are just so damn sexy!

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Rogue said:
I've read it's a myth, because the sound is projected backwards and motorcycles are barely audible once you are in motion.
I guess a solution would be to project the sound forwards. :woo:

Julius_Seizeher

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There is only one bike for me, the Ducati 1198.

Last edited:

The_flying_dutchman

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
The best advice I can give when it comes to bikes is, think about the exit strategy, that is, how easily can the bike be sold after you decide to move onto something else. For example, I've met guys who bought brand new 2009 Yamaha R1s (back in 08) and decided to sell it to try something else, unfortunately they had difficulty selling it becaue 08 was around the time when the economy tanked and nobody could afford to pay a fair price. They ended up having to trade it in.

So for a first bike, buy something that can be sold relatively inexpensively on the used market and thus you recapture your principal.

Second piece of advice is: don't start out too small by getting 250s and 500s because you'll grow out of them REALLY quickly. Then when it comes time to sell, not many people will want to buy a small cc bike so you encounter difficulty selling again.

Having said this, I think it's best to start with 600cc. And IMHO, you can't go wrong with the CBR series from Honda. CBRs are famous for their reliability and handling but are outshined by the gixxer in aggressiveness.

A used CBR 600rr from the years 06-08 are awesome bikes and they run for about $5000-$6000 on the used market, when it comes time to sell you should be able to get at least $5000 back so you basically maintain your principal investment.

Good luck and remember to exercise wisdom when making your choice.

OzyBoy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Motorbikes look like fun and i would get one but it's a bit dangerous for my liking. :up:

vatoloco

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The_flying_dutchman said:
So for a first bike, buy something that can be sold relatively inexpensively on the used market and thus you recapture your principal.
Yep. Agree.

Second piece of advice is: don't start out too small by getting 250s and 500s because you'll grow out of them REALLY quickly. Then when it comes time to sell, not many people will want to buy a small cc bike so you encounter difficulty selling again.
Not necessarily true. Sure, many people outgrow their small cc bikes but there's always a market for them: beginners getting into motorcycling, women, etc.

Having said this, I think it's best to start with 600cc. And IMHO, you can't go wrong with the CBR series from Honda. CBRs are famous for their reliability and handling but are outshined by the gixxer in aggressiveness.
Imma have to disagree with you on this. Recommending a 600cc+ supersport to a potential n00b is like telling an AFC to go at it with a HB9+: it's a recipe for disaster.

He wouldn't have the knowledge or the necessary skills to handle "her." ;)

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Starting with a smaller, less capable bike is also supposed to make you a better rider over time. You learn to do more with less. If you want a 500 or 600, you could look at sport-touring bikes. Most people still think they are crotch rockets, but they are not meant for knee-dragging corners and racing. My first was a Suzuki gs500e; those are great bikes for cheap. They are now the GS500f, but there are a lot of both out there.

http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/suzuki-gs/ke2126.html

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What's the point of a 500-600cc bike on public roads? Besides the nice tone from the exhaust.

The_flying_dutchman

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
vatoloco said:
Imma have to disagree with you on this. Recommending a 600cc+ supersport to a potential n00b is like telling an AFC to go at it with a HB9+: it's a recipe for disaster.

He wouldn't have the knowledge or the necessary skills to handle "her." ;)
I find modern 600cc bikes to be forgiving enough for beginners to learn on, yet aggressive enough for them not to lose interest for a few years.

The average guy is about 5'10" 165 pounds, I think a 250 would be too small to start on. There's also dangers of having a 250cc in that it's not powerful enough to get you out of bad situations. Also, in Cali 250's are not allowed on the freeway due to their lack of power.

Also, another thing I learned over years when it comes to sport bikes: Don't buy bikes that are wacky colors, it's rediculous and difficult to resell on the used market.

I got another funny story share: Years ago I had a buddy that bought a gorgeous yellow Ducati 748, guess what color leathers he bought? Yup, bright yellow and white leathers. After he decided to move onto a blue R1, he still kept his yellow leathers. Dude looked like a giant can of WD-40 cruising down the road.

When it comes to bikes and leathers, always be conservative in colors. For leathers, you can't go wrong with black.

Rogue

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The_flying_dutchman said:
I got another funny story share: Years ago I had a buddy that bought a gorgeous yellow Ducati 748, guess what color leathers he bought? Yup, bright yellow and white leathers. After he decided to move onto a blue R1, he still kept his yellow leathers. Dude looked like a giant can of WD-40 cruising down the road.

When it comes to bikes and leathers, always be conservative in colors. For leathers, you can't go wrong with black.
Black is most stylish, I agree, but bright colors save lives. Anything which increases visibility, reducing the chances of crashes, is smart to be considered. It's simply a matter of striking the right balance between style and safety.

vwmaniac

Don Juan
Reaction score
If you're proficient at repairing things you can pickup and older standard bike, like a mid 80's Yamaha 650. They pretty much all come in black, and with a set of flat bars look pretty good for the age. You'll pay $1000 for it now and make it back next spring, buy a nicer bike this winter when prices are low. Since the bike was so cheap, you get insurance with no collision/comp so it's only $250/year. If you get a nice new bike as a first, something silly will happen and ruin the value. If you scratch/dent up the old bike it will just match what was there when you got it.

Additionally, loud pipes do make a difference, especially in city traffic between 25-45mph. I went a month with the stock can on my 929 because I felt it was too loud. I immediately noticed I was having more close encounters, people cutting me off, etc. I put the loud one on and will never go back again.