Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Most neglected exersice for hams/gluts/lower back- Weighted Hyperextension

reyalp

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
yeah spesmilitis i'm going to run into the same problem. we have the mini-BBs and they only go to 120 or 130 or so. i might end up having to use a big DB somehow. the whole weight selection thing would be a lot easier if my gym just had a reverse hyper bench.

i can't tell if anyone is checking me out, the hyperextension unit is on the outside edge of the machines section and it faces the cardio equipment. but i'm sure there are women watching me do the thrust :)

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
spesmilitis said:
Yeah, accessory work is not essential to improve on the main's. I do it cuz I have extra energy after my mains.

Any reason why you don't want to? If you want to do extra sets of a main, that is not a good reason. After a 5x5 deadlift or 20 rep squat, you should do something else (work different muscels or the same muscels a different way). .
Um if you are doing deadlifts and 20 rep squats and you have "extra energy" you "need" to work off you need to work harder on those lifts.

reyalp

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
mrRuckus said:
Um if you are doing deadlifts and 20 rep squats and you have "extra energy" you "need" to work off you need to work harder on those lifts.
agreed.

i do hypers because it's in the modified rippetoe, and i think the intensity of the rippetoe is accomodating to do hypers. i really push hard on the hypers because it's helping my squat go up. my quads are strong enough but my glutes are the failure point right now.

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hockey Playa said:
im confused what u mean by THRUST haha, i just cant picture what u mean, u lower your upper torse, than raise, to full extension...i dont see how your hips can thrust, do u have a better video or slides show to depict?

Also you know the video u posted originally i dont know why the guys legs are so high?? the one at my gym my body is in a 'V' Shape if u know what i mean...
It'll be a while before I can post a video.

Even though your hips are pressed against the cushins, at the bottom of the movement, you can still 'push' your hips forward into the cushins. When you push the hips forward like that, it creates momemtum that forces your upper torso upwards. Instead of just raising your upper torse, think about simultaneously pushing your hips forward and your upper torse goes backwards. Since your hips are against the cushins, instead of your hips going forwards, your upper torso will just go backwards more.

Think about it. Stand up still. Now thrust your hips forwards. Your legs and upper body will be around the same position, but your hips will be forward (it will be in front of your upperbody, not in the same vertical line as your upperbody and feet). Now do that, but with your hips against floor (you are now lying down, on your front). When you do thrust forwards, your hips will be in the same potision, but your upper body will behind(above) the rest of your body. Its cuz when you thrust, your hips want to be in front(below) of your upper body, but since your hips can't go forward (the floor gets in the way), your upperbody goes backwards (so that your hips can be in front of your upper body).

Now apply this concept to the santosh hyperextension (I'll name this exersice after myself). Don't only 'use' your upper body momentum to come up. After all, the target of this exersice is the lower body. Thrust/Push your hips into the cushin. Since your hips have no where to go, this momentum will be transfered to your upper body, and your upper body will go back (upwards).

Doing the exersice this way, not only will you recruit more muscels, you also recruit more target muscels. You can also lift heavier since you are using more muscels.

Last, this way makes it easeir to keep perfect form (keeping the arche in your lower back; keeping the spine straight and only bending at the hips).

reyalp

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
did the thrust today, nobody noticed. oh well

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
reyalp said:
did the thrust today, nobody noticed. oh well
You'll know for sure they're checking you out when, due to popular demand, they rearrage all the equiment in the gym, and they put all the chick machines (stair-masters, ellipicals, hip abducts, ect.) in a semi-circle with the reverse-hyper machine in the middle (back of the rerve-hyper machine facing the chicks).

This hasn't happened at my gym yet, but i'm sure the girls are requesting it. lol