Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Money management help!! Spending addiction!!

Ken785

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i have this spending addiction...

i just ordered $510 worth of clothes at abercrombie....i dont know why i have such a big spending habit and not much money coming in...

i currently have about $1400 in my visa credit card debt on one card and now another $1400 on my discover.
i currently make about $470 every 2 weeks at my workplace. used to be about $700 every 2 weeks when i was working 40 hours a week. i only get paid $10.50 an hour.

any suggetions on how to manage what i have to get rid of my debt and not be stone broke for a few months??? i seriously need help dude...

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sure. As soon as you get the clothes, send them back. You can't afford them, you don't need them, you shouldn't get them - it's that simple. Then, either increase your hours, find a different job, or take on an additional job and pay off your credit cards. Don't spend money eating out, don't buy frivolous things you don't need. In other words, use your money wisely. You're 3k in debt, the last thing you need is a new t-shirt.

Ken785

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
you should see my wardrobe.....its crap. i need this sh!t man. a DJ has to look good too right?

quest

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ken785
you should see my wardrobe.....its crap. i need this sh!t man. a DJ has to look good too right?
you'll look real hot sitting in your bedroom, because u have no money to go anywhere..

WesCottII

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I hate using these "what a dj should be" crap, but.....

Yes. He should look good. However, he should also be in charge of his finances. Priorotise (sp) man, clothes?......crippling debt?.....your choice.

alphawolfx

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
return half of them

keep only the best ones

your real attraction comes from how you carry yourself in whatever clothes

sometimes over-dressing is bad because then you're uncomfortable or too aware of how you look

clothes don't make the man

the MAN makes the man

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ken785
Not if he can't afford to. All flash and no substance doesn't exactly make a man that great - it's like one of those $25 Rolex's you buy in Chinatown. :rolleyes: Your priorities are in the wrong place, that's all.

diplomatic_lie

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
One of my friends wears $5 t-shirts you buy from K-Mart, and he looks better than those homo guys wearing $500 silk shirts.

PoloBlue

Don Juan
Reaction score
buy your clothes at TARGET - they have decent clothing styles and low prices

WastelandWarrior

Don Juan
Reaction score
Get some scissors and cut up all but one of those debt cards. That one single debt card you save is your emergency debt card. If your car breaks down and you're flat broke, you've got your life raft.

If you want something, save your money and get it.

Trust me, the last thing you want in life is sh!tty credit. Don't make the minimum payment, give them every dime you can afford to until your debt cards are paid off and learn from your mistake.

The next time you want clothes, go to goodwill and buy some with the money you've saved. If someone asks you where you got your clothes, tell them you got them off the retail shelf and wait for them to prove you wrong.

Get another job and you'll have that much more money coming in and that much less time to spend it.

"Credit" cards are a giant trap.

AverageFC

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sure. Step 1:

Get rid of your credit cards, or put a $1000(or less) limit on them

Step 2:

If you have a job, make sure you get "direct deposit" so your paycheck goes directly into your savings account and you dont spend.

Step 3:

Get some style man. AF sucks.

Page

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have ZERO in credit debt. I enjoy being a free man. I own one card, and if i have something on it, I pay it off in full that month. Debt is slavery, and I do not walk this earth with the purpose of being a slave to a credit company.

the only debt I could live with is on something that will make more money for me. Most stuff you buy depreciates in value by about half the first timde you use it. I choose to put my money in things that last or even appreciate in value.

I am very strict with myself about what I buy. (other than food and other essentials--- we all need to eat, after all) I buy good clothes occasionally, but no one needs a new expensive shirt every week. I even wear old clothes around sometimes... it really doesn't matter. as long as you feel good, people will be drawn to you, so it matters not what you have on. I wear shoes until the soles are so worn they begin leaking when they get wet.

I make money for my general expenses as well as investing. Every dollar you own is something that can be put to work for you, so rather thasn piss it away on your first opportunity, you should invest it in things that constantly make money for you w/o you having to do any actual work. That's the only real way to get rich.

Alpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You can never have enough of what you don't want.

I haven't read all the posts but I'm sure someone was about to say, 'Have you seen Fight Club':rolleyes:

Spending makes you feel FANTASTIC, for a while, the pain of reality is just around the corner. Focus on that for a few minutes, then pick yourself up and start focussing on how to make more than you spend.

Now that can be a real rush once you understand what it means.

Disconnect

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yes. I have an answer - spend cash. Ditch the credit/debit cards. You see, it's much easier to spend your money if you can't see it. What so many people don't realize is that credit cards do not equal more money.

An average thinking may go something like this: "Well, I have a credit card, and I have $500 limit a month, so this means I have 500 dollars." Thats A1 bullshìt right there. You don't have those 500 dollars. It just means you can get in debt. Most people, including my gf's parents, are hooked on this kind of thought. They own a shìtload of stuff, 2 cars, a dog, a big house, a huge tv, they eat out 3 times a week, but they have no college money for their kids, and are in debt half the time (the woman's fault, btw. No job, likes to use credit card too much, while the man spends as little on himself as possible, and is the only source of income).

The ONLY thing credit cards are good for is buying airplane tickets, simply because you can't do it any other way. You call, reserve a flight, give them your credit card number. Wouldn't work with debit, because you need a PIN, and they don't do cash.

What to do, Ken? Sort out your priorities. Take a step back and re evaluate your life. Do you REALLY need 500 bucks in clothes, especially from abercrombie? It's not the cheapest place on the block, you know. "A dj needs to look good?" What kind of bs is that? A dj has his life in order. He is free. You are not.

You want to look good for other people by sporting expensive clothes. But trust me, people will have a real view of your financial situation once they find out you're in debt up to your ass. Don't deceive them.

Giovanni Casanova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I wrote this for another forum for advice for people wanting to get rid of credit cards. It might help you also.

STEP ONE: Get rid of your credit cards. I realize this isn't always an easy thing to do. But it's necessary, and it's liberating. Remember: these are the motherf*ckers who are preying on poor people and then getting legislation passed to anally rape said poor people with a splintery broom handle. They are the enemy. Cut those cards up and send the pieces back to the credit card companies with your next scheduled payment. You may still want to retain one credit card, though (we'll talk about that in a minute).

STEP TWO: Try to consolidate. Loan interest varies widely depending on the type of debt and the company and terms you negotiate. Some credit cards have interest rates around 25%, while other loans can have single digit interest rates. Paying off a $5000 credit card debt at 22% interest and $125 monthly payments will take 6 years and cost a total of $9000 (practically double the original debt!) Consolidating that debt into a loan at 12% interest will take two years and $2600 off that amount... not too shabby.

STEP THREE: Negotiate a lower rate. Particularly if you're a cardholder in good standing, credit card companies will often oblige a request to lower your interest rate if you just take the time to ask them. It's not a guaranteed shot, but it's certainly worth an ask. Often, credit card companies will lower your interest rate down to 11-12%, which will give you the same effect as the above example. (Make no mistake... they're still making a killing. You're not taking any food off their families.)

STEP FOUR: Get them to stop sending the offers. For some, getting offers from the credit card companies is too great a temptation to resist. Having the offers for more credit cards with great introductory rates sounds good at the time but usually ends up getting people into more trouble than they're worth. By calling 1-888-5-OPT-OUT, you can get those offers to stop coming. (It basically keeps companies from selling your info, they have a web address also.) You can also do what many others have suggested, and send junk mail or other miscellany back to the credit card companies in their Business Reply envelope. This will eventually stop their assault on your mailbox as well.

STEP FIVE: Reduce temptation. If you have a credit card (and since some things like car rentals often require one, it's still a good idea to own one), the problem a lot of people have is with temptation. If I only use cash and I only have $20, I can't get tempted too much by something that costs $100 -- I just don't have it. But if I have a credit card, it allows me to afford things that I cannot actually afford. This is the problem some get into. Here's an idea that works for me. Get one of those large "disposable" Tupperware-style bowls (or even a large butter container or the like). The bigger the better (but still small enough to fit in your freezer). Fill it with water. Put your credit card into a small zip-lock bag, get all the air out of the bag, and seal it. Place the bag into the water, ensuring that it submerges fully. Freeze the bowl, locking your credit card into a block of ice. The next time you need to use your credit card, you'll be able to, but you'll have to thaw it out in your sink first. This will also give you a "cooling off period" to be sure that you truly want to make the purchase you're about to make (not just something really cool that came on Home Shopping Network).

STEP SIX: If possible, use a debit card instead. Many bank check/debit cards have the logo of Mastercard or Visa on them. If you just aren't good with cash, try to use these instead of a credit card. This way you are spending money that you have, not money that you hope to have at a later date.

STEP SEVEN: Pay more than the minimum. The minimum payment is typically barely enough to cover interest. Banks give you this "minimum payment" to basically keep you in debt in perpetuity. Try to make at least double the minimum if you can at all afford it. If you can't afford it, try to find a way to afford it (selling fluids? j/k). If you still can't, at least put as much as possible at it. Paying down these debts has a much higher rate of return than most investments and much better than even the best savings plans.

STEP EIGHT: Attack the cards with the high interest first. Seems simple, and maybe goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway. If you have two credit cards, and one has a 22% interest rate and the other one has a 14% interest rate, throw everything you can afford at the 22% interest rate card and make only the minimum on the 14% interest rate card. It does not make mathematical sense to make more than the minimum on a 14% card when you are still carrying a balance on a 22% card. Take care of the high interest rate debts first, then work down.

STEP NINE: Use your savings. This sounds counter-intuitive, but it really isn't. It's silly to have $1000 sitting in a savings account earning 2% interest while you're paying off $2000 on a credit card charging 18% interest. Empty that piggy bank: paying off your credit cards pays a much higher dividend than does your savings account.

STEP TEN: Don't carry a balance. Once you get your cards paid off, you'll want to try to use credit cards as infrequently as possible, and only use them for charges that you can afford to pay now. But sometimes, there are benefits to using a credit card that WILL benefit you more than the card company. My mom has a Discover card with a 2% cashback incentive. This card can be paid in person at any Sears store. My mom will often buy something at Sears and then after charging it on her Discover card, she will then turn around and pay the Discover card off with cash. So she buys $100 worth of stuff with the card, then pays $100 in cash to pay the card off instantly, and Discover pays her $2 for the priveledge. This definitely adds up over time. Oh, and they absolutely HATE her for this, which just adds to the glee. She never carries a monthly balance which means she never pays a dime in interest or fees. Credit card companies call people like her "deadbeats", which is pretty comical when you think about it.

This is by no means a comprehensive guide, but it may come in handy for you.

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
freeze your credit card in a jar of water.

if you need to use it so badly that you would actually thaw it out, then maybe you need to use it.

if you just want a spur of the moment thing that you shouldnt be buying, chances are you arent going to go home and thaw it out for that.