Modeling.

Disconnect

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So, anyone doing it? What are some advantages/disadvantages? How's the money? How's the schedule?

Do you enjoy it? Or is there better things to do with your free time?

Nex

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I think I'm going to go into it, but I know very little about it so I'd appreciate answers as well.

I don't have the physical but I have the face / height they're looking for so I was pretty much selected and it's up to me to make the decision.

So BUMP. Although it's the second topic.

Mr. Mystery II

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm no expert, but I know abit about the subject.

Male models are usually shipped to Europe or Asia to built their tearsheet, then return to America most likely NY once they have built a strong enough tearsheet.

If you want to get started you MUST be in a certain area (if your in US): NY, Chicago, Miami, or LA. Otherwise you will not get work, and any agency outside of those areas is most likely a scheme.

It costs money and persistance to get into it. Being discovered on the street is a very very rare thing in the modelling world. The best thing to do is to get exposed any way you can. Find photographers in your area that will take your pics and share the photos with you, this way both of you built your portfolio.

For male runway models you need to be 6'0 and a 40R. Size doesn't matter so much in other types of modeling, like say commercials or magazines.

If you want to do it, know that it will take alot of work and persistance.

Mr. Mystery

Layla

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm interested in modelling also.

In Miami once a scout asked me if I wanted to model. I told him I lived in NY and he gave me his card. I lost the card though!!
Its supposed to be really hard work if your serious about it...

jiza101

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Mr. Mystery II
I'm no expert, but I know abit about the subject.

Male models are usually shipped to Europe or Asia to built their tearsheet, then return to America most likely NY once they have built a strong enough tearsheet.

If you want to get started you MUST be in a certain area (if your in US): NY, Chicago, Miami, or LA. Otherwise you will not get work, and any agency outside of those areas is most likely a scheme.

It costs money and persistance to get into it. Being discovered on the street is a very very rare thing in the modelling world. The best thing to do is to get exposed any way you can. Find photographers in your area that will take your pics and share the photos with you, this way both of you built your portfolio.

For male runway models you need to be 6'0 and a 40R. Size doesn't matter so much in other types of modeling, like say commercials or magazines.

If you want to do it, know that it will take alot of work and persistance.

Mr. Mystery
Wats 40R

CLOONEY

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Search previous posts, there have been a few threads over the time on this topic, and the information has not changed. Key is, sign up with one of the big agencies, Elite etc. DO NOT sign up with a small one unless you want a $400 add, advertising your local government garbage collecting agency, and then be put on the shelf for the rest of your "career". Other than this, you cant really make a career out of it unless you are exactly what they are looking for and get very very lucky. It will just be abit of extra money in your pocket. Hard work? LOL, once again, only if you are a top model. For the rest, like I said, it is just a bit of on the side work and extra cash. Sometimes if you get lucky, and score a major part in a commercial for a large company, you can earn some big bucks real quick. But these parts are usually one off, unless again, you make it to the top.

Also, sometimes acting agencies will see your picture and might ask you to audition for a part in a small TV part. I know a few people this has happened to, and one has made a career out of it. You all probably know her, but I will keep the name confidential.

Mr. Mystery II

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
A 40R is your jacket size. 40R USA, 50R Europe, ect.

I haven't been signed to any big agency, so I can't say how hard it is once you have representation, but it does take hard work and persistance to GET representation from a good agency, and as Clooney said a bit of luck also.

Mr. Mystery

tristan22

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind modeling, the perks seem to be pretty good; decent money, hot girls, great parties. Although i must admit, a lot of the male and female models i see in magazines look pretty average to me. And to think, they are making tons of cash to stand in front of a camera and look average.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but aren't a lot of homos decision makers in the modeling biz?

Climax

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Let me help...

Modeling:

I have been doing modeling for a while now.... Its a really nice way to make money... easy? well, I wouldn’t say that. Sometimes u have to spend a few days at a shoot somewhere which involves you posing etc, changing clothes, running around etc for hours and hours. But over all, modeling is enjoyable if u LIKE it. You get people that don’t enjoy standing in front of a camera all day, u get people that just don’t know HOW to pose properly no matter how much they try, u get people that cant help but look nervous in a picture which ruins the whole picture.... but becoming a successful model you need to be good at it and u need to practice all the time.... Your poses, your walk, your confidence in front of LOTS of people AND the camera, just everything visual about yourself is vital that u have 100% control over, and this will only come after experience and lots of practice. You DO get some people that it just comes naturally to, but those people are really rare.

The money depends on the shoot that you are in.... you can make from lets say 50 dollars, to like 5000 dollars... it depends on the shoot, what is for, WHO its for, etc... But yes, generally there pay is well worth the work.

Advantages:

- Well obviously the pay is good

- You are known to be a "model" which is a good ego boost:D

- It makes u into a confident person in general, keeps u up to date with fashion and just makes you able to bring out the most out of your looks.

- Opens opportunities for other companies around the world to want you (such as TV/MOVIE companies) which could lead to you becoming an actor etc

I'm sure there are more, but those are the few that I can think of at the moment.

Disadvantages:

- Times of shoots can be awkward (like a sunrise shoot where u will have to wake up at 5am for a shoot)

- The length of some of the shoots can be very straining, especially if it means standing in the hot sun for many hours

- The pressure of trying to be the "best" is always there, because every model wants to get chosen for as many shoots as possible, and the competition is high, but i personally enjoy the challenge, makes me do my BEST and not get lazy;)

- Some people sometimes tend to call u names like "model-boy" or "pretty boy" etc, but I know that its just their jealousy that’s speaking, so i just grin to myself:D

Otherwise there aren’t many disadvantages in modeling.

Getting into modeling isn’t that hard either.. people think that becoming a model is so kewl and that they will never be able to do it etc, well you are wrong if you think like that... Anyone that is decent looking and fulfils the requirements of a modeling agency is legible to become a model. A lot of agency's will require that you be a certain height, most require a MAN to be about 1.80m tall (I don’t know what that is in feet) but i am only 1.75m tall and I am in.... I guess my looks make up for my height:rolleyes: :cool: anyways... Overall I enjoy modeling a lot and it’s a really nice experience. You meet people (hot people too:D ), you go out there and have fun, you earn ALOT of money from doing something u ENJOY doing, etc.

Well, I think k I pretty much covered most of the things about modeling, if u have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

Laterz...

Climax

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
To answer your question...

Originally posted by jiza101
What are they looking for? a unique look or a decent sqaure jawed face? I heard they like a unique face with a bit of mystery to it.:confused:
Well yes... for most of the shoots they have a specific look that they look for, but anyone that is decent looking will be chosen for a shoot sooner or later, because everyone, well, at least MOST people have their OWN unique look which someone somewhere out there might be looking for, so when they page through different people port folio's looking for the look that they are looking for, and they come across YOUR port folio, and you have the look that they are looking for, they will choose YOU for that shoot. I hope you understand now;)

Laterz..