Mma And Ufc Thread.

BMX

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Anyone with a Greco-Roman background will tend to do well in MMA because it translates into MMA smoothly. Just look at Randy Couture and Dan Henderson, of course that's not the ONLY style they've trained.

BMX

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The guy from my brother's school had to fight against a guy from the Arlovski Team (chicago). Arlovski was in the corner of his opponent and coaching. Our boy Dwayne lost in the 2nd round to the arlovski team guy.

www.uwcmma.com
2nd fight from the top in the results listings.

lookyoung

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bible_Belt said:
One of our guys has a video of last Saturday's fight on youtube. Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNsSqlAVbsA

He fought a weight class up, and the other guy had 15-20 pounds on him. He got thrown all over the cage in the first round. And then round two started...
First of all I would like to say anyone who steps into that cage I give him alot of respect. Your friend showed that he has heavy hands. What rank in bjj does he have? If he is going to take it to the next level he really needs to work on everything. Even his boxing looked sloppy. One think he showed is he is heavy handed.

I did not like his guard work. He wasn't active enough in there and let the guy posture up on him too many times. If he was in against probably even a solid blue belt he may have been in trouble. He really made alot of mistakes but I am sure he will get better. I did not like the advice they were giving him either. At the 240 mark they were telling him to hit the guy with body shots when he was in sidecontrol. They should have said put your shoulder against his chin and flatten him out.

Than again I probably sound like a monday morning quarterback, but I seen alot of common mistakes. Who is your brazilian jiu-jitsu instructor. What rank is he? And who gave him his rank?

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You are right, lookyoung. I agree with what you said. Brad does not take the bjj classes; he only trains some bjj as part of the mma training. Only a couple of our fighter also take bjj, myself included. Our jiu-jitsu instructor is an advanced purple belt; he said he might test for brown this fall. I respect his skills very highly; I would guess that he has more ability than anyone in Southern Illinois. I understand that a belt is only as worthy as the instructor's discretion in awarding it, but this guy is legit. If Brad were in bjj, I'm sure the instructor would be saying the same things as you. He had gotten used to being to just throw his opponent around, but that does not work when fighting a bigger guy. Those heavy hands saved the day. The other guy got hit so hard that he did not understand that the ref had stopped the fight.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
bmxcetera said:
The guy from my brother's school had to fight against a guy from the Arlovski Team (chicago). Arlovski was in the corner of his opponent and coaching. Our boy Dwayne lost in the 2nd round to the arlovski team guy.

www.uwcmma.com
2nd fight from the top in the results listings.

What, no video? You got my hopes up. There were some serious fighters on that card. I'm sure the level of competition was very high.

Matt Hughes' Hit Squad facility is not too far from us, so we have been getting a few Hit Squad fighters. Robbie Lawler was at our last fight working the corner of Kyle Watson, who won pretty easily. However, our heavyweight did beat a guy from the Hit Squad. He got his back, and then picked him up and suplexed him, WWF-style, getting the loudest cheers of the night.

BMX

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I filmed the Thomas Schulte-Zach Light (team punishment) fight. I'll try to find a way to PM you it. I didn't realize who Pete Spratt was until I left the arena, and he had a nice knockout.

lookyoung

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bible_Belt said:
You are right, lookyoung. I agree with what you said. Brad does not take the bjj classes; he only trains some bjj as part of the mma training. Only a couple of our fighter also take bjj, myself included. Our jiu-jitsu instructor is an advanced purple belt; he said he might test for brown this fall. I respect his skills very highly; I would guess that he has more ability than anyone in Southern Illinois. I understand that a belt is only as worthy as the instructor's discretion in awarding it, but this guy is legit. If Brad were in bjj, I'm sure the instructor would be saying the same things as you. He had gotten used to being to just throw his opponent around, but that does not work when fighting a bigger guy. Those heavy hands saved the day. The other guy got hit so hard that he did not understand that the ref had stopped the fight.
Brad is going to be in a heap of trouble if he doesn't improve his bjj skills. Even at this level.He even had a chance to lock the guillotine from the guard. I talked to the brown belts at my school and they say to fight at the UFC level you have to at the very least be a purple belt. Brad has some talent but he would be so much better with bjj, especially at this level.

Are you still planning on getting in there?

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
cool, bmx. Did you notice that the cage had six sides? Ours had seven. I think Dana White must have trademarked the octagon cage and the UFC sues anyone who holds fights in an octagon.

Yeah, Lookyoung, my first fight will probably be this fall. I'm a little busy this summer; will keep training five times a week, though. If we have a bjj submission grappling tournament before then, I'll enter that, too.

lookyoung

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bible_Belt said:
cool, bmx. Did you notice that the cage had six sides? Ours had seven. I think Dana White must have trademarked the octagon cage and the UFC sues anyone who holds fights in an octagon.

Yeah, Lookyoung, my first fight will probably be this fall. I'm a little busy this summer; will keep training five times a week, though. If we have a bjj submission grappling tournament before then, I'll enter that, too.
I have not been training that much lately. I am kind of busy. I also weightlift and I am weaker with weights because of training in bjj. I also noticed I lose muscle mass when I am training strictly bjj. Have you noticed the same thing bible belt. My school is also about 15 miles from me. I tell you if I didn't have to work I would be doing doubles. Weights and bjj everyday.

bjj is great. It gives you functional strenght, but there is nothing like weights for your body as far as appearance goes. Do you weight train also?

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have never been able to keep myself interested in weight training for more than a few months at a time, just never been a big fan. I get sore in my joints and tendons and just don't like lifting weights very much. I do concede that weight training is great for building muscle mass. bjj, however, has been great for building definition and pretty decent for building mass. I have gotten bigger, not as much as if I'd been powerlifting and drinking raw eggs, but still get a lot of compliments from girls. My instructor is pretty intense, that helps. Just the 15-minute warmup leaves me dripping in sweat. I have never found anything that is a better whole-body workout than grappling. You use every muscle, because you're doing everything you can to fight the other guy. Also, I think the fighters who are training for a fight do a lot of conditioning on their own, like dragging sleds and working out with big tires - hitting them with sledges and flipping them over.

I am thinking of trying to make weight at 145; that would be cutting 20 pounds. The fighters I have seen at that weight seem really little to me; maybe I am just thinking that because I am 6'1" but I hope anyone that weight should seem like they weigh nothing after training with a bunch of 200+ pound guys. Most of them are significantly better than me, but occasionally we get a new guy in, and I have been able to out-wrestle guys who are 230+ pounds. Within a few seconds, I am sitting on their chest in mount and coaching them on escapes. It is obviously not that I am good, it is simply that the art of bjj is very good. I know a tiny amount, but a new guy knows nothing, and just that difference is enough to trump a large weight difference. Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is powerful stuff.

And now I want to go to Brazil:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Zm2yzeBI8I&feature=related

Last edited:

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey lookyoung, there is a grappling tournament on the 24th:

http://www.nagafighter.com/chicago05-08_home.asp

NAGA COMES BACK TO CHICAGO!
The North American Grappling Association (NAGA) is America's largest mixed grappling tournament circuit! On Saturday May 24, 2008 the NAGA comes back to Chicago, Illinois for the largest grappling tournament in the Midwest

One of our female fighters is planning on competing. Are you going?

lookyoung

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bible_Belt said:
Hey lookyoung, there is a grappling tournament on the 24th:

http://www.nagafighter.com/chicago05-08_home.asp

NAGA COMES BACK TO CHICAGO!
The North American Grappling Association (NAGA) is America's largest mixed grappling tournament circuit! On Saturday May 24, 2008 the NAGA comes back to Chicago, Illinois for the largest grappling tournament in the Midwest

One of our female fighters is planning on competing. Are you going?
Yes I will be there for sure. I am not ready to compete however. have not been training as much. If I was going to compete I would need at least 6-12 weeks of competition training. If you go let me know maybe we could talk mma and grappling at the tournament. Quite a few people from my school are competing. I would say at least 10-30 guys.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I asked and got the ok from my mma trainer to enter. Tonight I will ask my bjj instructor. They have a novice class, six months experience or less and old guy brackets, 30+ years. This looks perfect for me. I started in January. After spending months rolling with 200+ pound guys with years of experience, the chance to compete against another 30 y/o novice who is close to my own weight is appealing to say the least. I can easily make the 159.9 pound cutoff.

Do most guys enter both the gi and no-gi?

armadon

Don Juan
Reaction score
Any of you guys going to the World BJJ championship this year? If you are maybe we can meet up and have a beer. I usually drink before I hit the mat.

lookyoung

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bible_Belt said:
I asked and got the ok from my mma trainer to enter. Tonight I will ask my bjj instructor. They have a novice class, six months experience or less and old guy brackets, 30+ years. This looks perfect for me. I started in January. After spending months rolling with 200+ pound guys with years of experience, the chance to compete against another 30 y/o novice who is close to my own weight is appealing to say the least. I can easily make the 159.9 pound cutoff.

Do most guys enter both the gi and no-gi?
Well alot of guys enter both, but more guys do strictly no-gi from what I hear. that means there are more guys in the no-gi divisions. Some purple belts at my school were saying that they are going to enter only one division. By the time your done with the gi or no gi and have to fight again your pretty worn down. I would personally do both. You may get knocked out early in one. and than can go to the next one. Plus each match is a valuable learning experience.

Since your in the masters division you will probably have to win 2-4 matches to take first. I heard in the menns division you have to win up to 6 matches to win first. Alot of guys at my school that compete say its a different game than rolling in the gym. Your more likely to get gassed out. Alot of adrenaline in competing.

Also make sure you look at the way points are scored and have a strategy on wether you want to play top game or bottom game.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ok, it looks like I am going. I hear sandbagging is pretty bad, some guys (not ours) show up and fight in the six-months-experience-or-less class three or four years in a row without NAGA saying anything about it. If they could really enforce the limitations on experience, that would be great, but there's no telling the actual skill level of who I might be matched against. I am still going, though, it should be good experience.

Do I need fight shorts for the no-gi competition? It said no pockets, which sounds like fight shorts. It did not say a shirt is required. It also said anything you wear may be used against you. The super hero spandex looks ridiculous, but I can understand not wanting to give the other guy a convenient handle on your hips.

As far as strategy, my best game is to wrap up a guy in full guard and tire him out, then work submissions after he is tired and frustrated. I have a very difficult guard to pass, at least relative to my overall skill level. However, I am not good at passing anyone else's guard, and I get swept a lot. It stinks that I am tall (I hope wutangfinancial is reading this); my center of gravity is too high.

The NAGA site says that I get a four-minute match. I wish they were longer, but I know it will seem much longer when it is happening. I think my own conditioning should be pretty good compared to a bunch of 30-something y/o guys. Training with the cage fighters helps a lot. I can tell that I am in better cardiovascular shape than most of my jiu-jitsu class. In the mma training, we will sometimes lightly spar with boxing gloves for 20-30 minutes and then submission grapple in 5-minute periods for another twenty or thirty minutes. It's intense, and part of the point of training that way is to teach guys how to fight while exerting very little energy. Before I started training, I would watch UFC fights and see the Brazilians fight like they were half-asleep. Now in training with mma fighters, our best guys tend to train the same way, learning to conserve energy yet fight effectively.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
armadon said:
Any of you guys going to the World BJJ championship this year? If you are maybe we can meet up and have a beer. I usually drink before I hit the mat.
Which one and where? I tried to look and I could find dates, but no location.

lookyoung

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
hey

Sandbagging is horrible. It happens frequently. There are many guys that are bluebelts that fight in the whitebelt division. Even guys at my school will fight in the intermediate nogi division and they have trained for 7 years. One of our guys is a purple belt and fought in the bluebelt division and took second place.

I heard naga is getting a little stricter with sandbagging now. I will pm you some youtube videos were I think there is no way this guy is at whitebelt level.