Mike's Food Journal (Meal Recipes)

mikeyb

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Bulking burger

So you like burgers, eh? Me too. Don't let the thought of heart disease and all that scare you, there are ways to make burgers a part of any diet. All you have to do is pick the right ingredients. The key to making a good "bulking" burger is to buy quality ground beef instead of those suspicious hamburger patties that melt away when you put them on a grill.

INGREDIENTS
-------------
-1/2 pounds ground beef (as lean as possible. If you are really concerned about fat get ground turkey meat)
-2-4 slices of reduced fat processed cheese singles (Tesco sells "low-fat cheese singles" that do the trick)
-2 buns (again, choose the "healthier" alternatives. If concerned about carbs use toast)
-Salt
-Pepper
-2 tablespoons of ketchup
-1 lettuce leaf.
-(optional) 1/2 tomato (sliced)
-(optional 1 egg
INSTRUCTIONS
--------------
1. Combine the ground beef with salt and pepper and make one, two, or three hamburger patties (depending on how thick you like them).
2. Spread one tblspoon of ketchup on each but and put one slice of cheese on each.
3. Fry (or grill) the patties and possibly the egg, and put them in the buns. The egg should go between the top patty and the top cheese single.
4. Put the lettuce and tomato in. Trim the lettuce so that it doesn't stick out too much.
5. Put the buns together and put the burger in a microwaveable dish. Heat on 650 watts for 50 seconds, or until the cheese melts.
6. Serve immediately.

simon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Quagmire911 said:
Thanks.

Is the option the "International postal service"? Seems like it may just be easier going with a home supplier, and only £5-10 more.
Yeah that'd be the one you'd choose. Shipping is way expensive for those tabs, must be heavy I guess.

Here's a good slow cooker recipe for beef stew:

Ingredients
1kg beef brisket
2 carrots
2 onions
3 sticks of celery
4 garlic cloves
rosemary (2 sprigs fresh OR 2tsp dried)
cinnamon (1 stick OR 1/2tsp powdered)
50g butter
bay leaf
400g chopped tomatoes

Method
Heat the butter in a large pot. Roughly chop the carrots, onions and celery. Peel the garlic. Chuck into the pan, along with the rosemary and cinnamon. While that's frying, cut the brisket into smallish chunks with some sharp scissors or a good knife. When the onion is semi-translucent, throw in the beef and brown all over. When browned, add the tomatoes, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Transfer to the slow cooker and cook on low overnight.

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Italian Meatballs

Italian Meatballs

1 pound ground beef
1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs -- Italian Style
1/4 cup milk
Italian Seasoning
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 small onion -- chopped
2 eggs

Heat oven to 400¼F. Mix all ingredients. shape into twenty 1 1/2-inch meatballs. Place in rectangular pan 13x9x2 inches. Or on cookie sheets. bake 20 to 25 minutes or until no longer pink inside.

To panfry: Cook in 10-inch skillet over medium heat about 20 minutes, turning occasionally, until no longer pink inside.

To microwave: Place meatballs in microwaveable dish, 11x7x1 1/2-inches. Cover loosely and microwave on high 8 to 10 minutes, rearranging meatballs after 3 minutes, until no longer pink inside. Let stand 3 minutes; drain.

can also add cheese to them and tomatoe sauce

Last edited:

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Gaining Weight is easy Shake

*Warning* Drinking a lot of these can make you fat

4 to 6 Cups- Milk
3-Bananas
1/2 cup- blueberries
1/2 cup- strawberries
1cup - oats
4-raw eggs
1 tablespoon- Honey
8- nilla wafers
2 tablespoons- Peanutbutter
4 scoops- fav whey
1/2-1cup- fav ice cream

Put in big a$$ blender, blend, drink.

I-tallionStallion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
EFFORT said:
*Warning* Drinking a lot of these can make you fat

4 to 6 Cups- Milk
3-Bananas
1/2 cup- blueberries
1/2 cup- strawberries
1cup - oats
4-raw eggs
1 tablespoon- Honey
8- nilla wafers
2 tablespoons- Peanutbutter
4 scoops- fav whey
1/2-1cup- fav ice cream

Put in big a$$ blender, blend, drink.
Can i just say.....HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :woo:

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I-tallionStallion said:
Can i just say.....HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :woo:

I was going to post something to similar effect, but the shock wouldn't let me...:)

The last two recipes by Simon and Effort look yummy.

I-tallionStallion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well if you are a lazy ass like me, and don't want to go extravagant and cook something that takes more than two minutes work, than this is for you.

My favorite meal in the whole world is a burger, and here are some varieties for you to keep you busy.

Buffalo Burger

- 1/2 lb beef - form into patty (85% lean Imo)
- Texas pete buffalo sauce (or any of your favorites
- Bleu Cheese

Yup, that's it. When cookin poke holes in burger and when it's almost done, just pour some buffalo sauce. Stick on bun, pour a decent amount of bleu cheese and enjoy a messy delcious snack haha

Cajun Burger

-1/2 lb beef
-Cajun powder
-Cheddar cheese
- JD bbq sauce (or your favorite bbq sauce)

Simpe, when burger is nearing completion, powder on as much Cajun powder as you like, top with cheddar cheese (I melt my cheese on the bun), and pour on some Bbq sauce...VERY DELICIOUS

Pizza Burger

- 1/2 lb beef
- two slices mozzeralla
- marinara sacue

Yet again, a easy burger. Cook, throw on mozzeralla, and heat up the sauce and throw on the burger.

Sour Cream Burger (These take a little work but are worth it trust me)

2 pounds ground beef
1 cup sour cream
1 (1 ounce) envelope dry onion soup mix
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
1/8 teaspoon pepper

In a large bowl, mix together the ground beef, sour cream, onion soup mix, bread crumbs and pepper using your hands...referigerate for twenty minutes, to give the flavors a chance to blend, then make some patties and enjoy

-I'll be putting up more burger ideas later

Señor Fingers

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ginger Miso Tuna Steak w/ Garlic Yuca Mash

Ingredients:

4-6 Fresh Tuna Steaks
1 medium sized Yuca
3 large cloves garlic, minced
1 small onion, minced
2 Tbsp fresh grated ginger
1 Tbsp Red Miso (asian market)
1 Orange (juiced)
1 Tbsp cilantro, minced
3-4 Tbsp soy sauce
2-3 Tbsp sesame oil
1 lime

Preparation

Combine Soy, Sesame Oil, Ginger, 2 of the garlic cloves, Miso and Orange Juice into a tupperware, mix well with spoon.

Add in Tuna steaks, cover tupperware and give it a good shake, then set aside to marinate for 20-30 minutes.

Boil a pot of water as you peel the Yuca. Cut off top and bottom then place it standing vertically. You should see a small point somewhere in the center of thee whiteness, this is the woody spine you need to remove so place your knife on that point and cut the whole thing in half vertically. Then cut those pieces in half and slice off the inner corners and throw away the spine.

Chop yuca into thin slices so they boil fast and toss them in the pot. Keep a close eye on them cause they cook faster than potatoes. Boil for about 10 minutes or until very tender. Strain the water and put yuca back in the pot and whisk with sturdy fork till it turns creamy. Add the leftover garlic and cut open the lime, adding juice to taste. Add salt/black pepper too.

Fire up a skillet on high flame for 2 minutes, then drizzle a layer of olive oil and turn flame to medium as you slap on the tuna steaks. Cooking time depends on how thick they are. Usually 3-6 minutes on each side is plenty.

Serve both on a plate and press a small niche into the yuca. Pour a small sampling of the sauce you made into it and garnish with a cilantro leaf for effect.

A simple raw spinach salad on the side also works well.

Overall this recipe takes about 25-35 minutes and its freaking DELICIOUS!

Nutrition Facts
Rich in iron, vitamin a & c, anti-oxidants, protein, omega3 fatty acids, potassium, magnesium

I-tallionStallion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey quag, sunday is my off day from diet generally and i get special binge meal. Care to take the challenge and try that mothafvcking EFFORT shake? It sounds good, oddly. Anyone else care to try it with me? haha

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I would if I had the spare cash to buy all that **** in. Maybe in a few weeks. Job was put forward a week so it'll be another few weeks till I get back in black.

I-tallionStallion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
haha I'll do it when you've got some spare cash. It would be hilarious. And when your back in black, make sure you hit the sack.

BMX

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I-tallionStallion, thanks for the burger recipes, I'll be doing the pizza burger soon as I just bought the ingredients. Also to the OP for the pasta one.

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
mikeyb said:
Great recipe. As for the shells being annoying to remove, try draining the hot water and pouring enough cold water into the pot/saucepan to cover the eggs. Then leave for a few minutes. I don't know why, but this makes the shells easier to remove.
it shrinks the now cooked egg slightly, forcing the little bit of steam you've created inside the egg to just inside the shell. this creates a very thin layer of air when everything finally cools. it's marginal, but every little bit helps when peeling those suckers.

as a side benefit, if you time this properly it prevents that nasty grayish green ring around the yolk (mostly harmless but unsightly & sulfurous -- a recipe for nasty gas!)

BTW -- you'll get better results if you hard cook them by bringing them just to a boil then turning off the heat (truly boiling eggs makes 'em rubbery -- yum!)

one final tip -- fresh eggs are great for everything EXCEPT hard-cooked. try to use eggs that have been in your fridge at least 10-14 days before you boil 'em -- less moisture, more air -> easier to peel.

useful guide: http://www.post-gazette.com/food/20021024mailbox5.asp

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
simon said:
a good knife.
cooking tip: nothing beats a great knife. they REALLY don't have to be expensive. pick up a good sized chef's knife w/ a white plastic handle from a restaurant supply store or a warehouse club (costco & sam's sell 'em by the pair). make sure you're cutting on a plastic or wooden cutting board and it will last quite a while before you even need to figure out how to sharpen it. pair with a paring knife or swiss army knife and you'll have all the knives you need for cooking unless/until you start cutting up your own meat. have a third knife handy for when you want to wolf down a steak -- this one can be total crap.

uk/aus/nz guys: i'm sure you can get such knives but i have no clue where. i have to get the hell off this continent sometime, just for kicks.

mikeyb

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Dirty Burger

They sell these at a pub near where I live. They have a note on the menu saying that anyone who finishes one of these in a sitting gets the second free. Drink an Effort shake along with this and then take a very long nap.

To give you a rough idea, this burger is basically a 4-decker with bacon, cheese, and fries.

The quantities here are approximate, I've never actually made the burger myself.

Ingredients
-----------
-1 pound lean ground beef
-2 bacon rashers (get the lean kind)
-1 egg
-2 buns
-1 medium tomato
-lettuce
-4 cheese singles
-(optional)fries

Instructions
-----------
Slice the tomato, make four patties from the ground beef, cook it, fry the egg, fry the bacon, and stick all the ingredients except the fries in between the buns as follows (from top to bottom):
BUN
cheese single
Egg
Bacon
Patty
cheese single
Patty
Tomato
Lettuce
Tomato
Patty
cheese single
Patty
bacon
cheese single
BUN

MrS

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bacon Sandwich:

Fry some bacon, put it between bread.
Eat.

That's nearly all my culinary knowledge spilled.

I-tallionStallion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Another Burger for you guys...My brother thought of it today and needless to say it was good.

Taco Burger

*1/2 groundbeef
*Taco seasoning (comes in premade packets) - you don't need much, apply as desired
*1 to 2 slices cheddar cheese
*2-3 tbsp of Sourcream
*Medium to hot salsa - as much as you like
*Optional - you could probably add a tostito chip or two if you like

Btw....for all burgers i've suggested, you can do the same for chicken sandwiches.

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
MrS said:
Bacon Sandwich:

Fry some bacon, put it between bread.
Eat.

That's nearly all my culinary knowledge spilled.
sheer genius. i like 'em with a touch of mayo.

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bump.

Quik, I nominate this for the vault.

I also have another thought for something to add, will maybe do it later.

Something for the guys that "just can't get enough calories".