Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Meta analysis: Resistance Bands provide same strength gains as free weights

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
I have to say I was a little surprised, but not really.

Meta analysis of 8 different studies was used to reach this conclusion.

I have used resistance bands consistently for the past 3 years now and they are both super effective and much easier on the joints than free weights. The soreness I have experienced with them in terms of DOMS is the same as what I got from free weights when I am getting used to different training modalities and/or amounts of weight.

IKO69

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I love the versatility of the bands, they take up minimal space and are easy to carry around on trips or whatever. I take a couple with me from time to time to the beach. We have a "calisthenics park" beach and I use the bands to do some exercises on the bars.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
I am skeptical of the probability for a recreational lifter to go from a complete novice to deadlifting at least 400 lbs just by using resistance bands.
I've deadlifted and squatted well over 400 lbs, and I can say my joints would be in much better shape right now if I hadn't.

Lifting heavy for long periods of time isn't all it's cracked up to be, especially once you start splitting the seams on every pair of pants you own the first time you bend down and have to start buying pants 2 sizes to big that look stupid with the bunched up waist.

It's possible you may not get "as strong" at the higher limits, mainly because most people will run out of resistance band weight, but I do deadlifts with resistance bands all the time around 300 lbs now and those are no walk in the park.

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've deadlifted and squatted well over 400 lbs, and I can say my joints would be in much better shape right now if I hadn't.
You are already trained. I’m talking about the untrained novice that wants to become strong. I am skeptical that resistance bands are comparable to progressively loading a barbell.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
You are already trained. I’m talking about the untrained novice that wants to become strong. I am skeptical that resistance bands are comparable to progressively loading a barbell.
There may be some validity to that as you always know exactly the amount of weight you are using with free weights and it's not always possible to tell that with resistance bands as it provides variable resistance.

Money & Muscle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Honestly, I should have adopted bands in 2020 when gyms shut down. I stupidly thought that California couldn't possibly stay closed for more than 2 weeks... 6 months later.

Anyways, I highly doubt strength gains are truly equal to actual weight, particularly where the band is least-stretched. BUT it certainly is better than nothing, and could be used well when no other options are available.

Thanks for the study.

Ricky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I wonder if its because they increase the true time under tension which is probably more important than the number of reps used for a lift (although they are somewhat correlated)

f(x)

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I have to say I was a little surprised, but not really.

Meta analysis of 8 different studies was used to reach this conclusion.

I have used resistance bands consistently for the past 3 years now and they are both super effective and much easier on the joints than free weights.
Which brand do you use? I’ve been following John Jaquish and his X3 band system but have not yet purchased. Also thinking about flywheel training, but it’s big $$$

Money & Muscle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I wonder if its because they increase the true time under tension which is probably more important than the number of reps used for a lift (although they are somewhat correlated)
TUT does little for strength. It is more important for hypertrophy, but still secondary to mechanical tension.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
The resistance provided is different as it is variable and at it's highest when stretched at the top of the movement. Researchers theorize that this is causing some type of benefit above what they would expect as the reason for similar strength gains since this is very different from free weights.