MET-RX (help)

InsidiousNstinct

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Somewhere between the cities of Lost and Found
Hey guys, my aunts husband bought some Met-Rx meal replacement with metamyosyn protein. He got two kinds, chocolate and vanilla. he doesnt liek the vanilla so he gave it to me. He said he paid 50 bucks for it (I have no idea) im into working out though and my goal is to be in shape by MAY.

Anyways to my question, is this stuff good to take if I want to gain more mass? I'm in the process of getting bigger but im kind've cutting at the sametime. I don't go to the gym. I workout at home.

my routine...

-Monday Wednesday Friday-

Push ups (pyrimid style) 5,10,15,20,25,30,25,20,15,10,5

side crunches w/ standing 25 reps of seven sets

Leg and arm extensions (Lay on back raise arms and feet at the same time to form a triangle shape) best way for me to describe it.

-Tuesday, Thursday-

barbell rows (bending over and pickin the bar bell up)

dumbell kickbacks - 5 sets of 7 reps at 25lbs

That's about all I do (I know I need to incorperate some leg excersies also. Im just afraid if I take this stuff its going to put a lot of weight on me where I don't lift hard.

Current specs....

5'6

142lbs

I'd like to get to atleast 160...

any input would be very helpful on this stuff. Thanks.

MrFitness880

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Met-Rx is good, but tends to be a little pricey. I do like the metomyasin blend though. It isnt exactly how i would do it, but its one of the better ones i have seen.

MRPs are just that, meal replacements. I would stick to real food like usual, and just save those for when you are rushed and dont have time to make and eat a full meal. Dont eat them if you dont have to. Not that they are bad, i just think it would be nice to be able to have one when you really need it.

beyond that, no, MRPs are not any better for gaining mass than a real meal would be. as long as you are eating enough protein and calories from healthy sources, there would be no reason to add an MRP

Sh0t

Don Juan
Reaction score
Meal replacements are mostly for convenience. They don't do anything special for you outside of providing a good balance of calories and nurtrients.

You are not going to gain much doing lots of normal pushups.

Put some plates on your back and then do pushups, following a similar rep scheme as you would for doing bench presses. Try one handed pushups as well along with elevating your feet.

Doing hundreds of low resistance crunches won't do much either. The abs are like any other muscle and will need a significant load in order to stimulate growth.

Try to do janda situps, crunches with weight, etc.

InsidiousNstinct

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Somewhere between the cities of Lost and Found
Well I dont really keep up with my cal or protien intake....

Breakfast (around 7:30am) I eat egg whites and toasted whoel grain bread

lunch (around 11:05am) I grab a sub from the subway on campus. I get the samething everyday... roast beef, american cheese, bacon, with chipolie sauce.

mid snack (around 2:30pm) usually macoroni and cheese (the little tv dinner kind. (its my fav food so I have to eat it atleast ocne a day)

Dinner (around 4 or 5pm) usually baked chicken

late snack (around 8pm) MRP

My goal is to be in really good shape by May. I have dumbells but I don't use them much anymore. I Have a barbell also but no bench.:(

I also drink about two BOOST nutritional drinks a day also.

That about sums it up....