Mayweather vs McGregor

playa99

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Curious to hear opinions about this fight...

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Two hurdles right now are that McGregor is still under a UFC contract. Dana White is going to insist that he get paid. The other problem is that it has to pass sanctioning. The sanctioning bodies are always very concerned about uneven matches that risk fighter safety. The promoters would have to convince them that McGregor is not dangerously outclassed.

I'd just like to see an honest fight where they don't let Mayweather stall by hugging, over and over again. tap-tap hug, tap-tap hug is all I see out of him. "No stalling" is one of the original rules of boxing, but we don't enforce it any more, and Mayweather is a master of exploiting that.

oOh Nasty

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
As nice as it would be for this fight to happen, it probably won't. Like @Bible_Belt said, a reluctant Dana White + sanctionings just makes the headlines wishful thinking.

If it were to happen - I just started watching MMA so I wouldn't know who technically has the upper hand as of now. I've always wondered how a good boxer with no other kinds of training would fair in the octagon [Edit: or how long McGregor would last]. All the sh*t talk between them is pretty exciting though. It's like a TV drama for men.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've always wondered how a good boxer with no other kinds of training would fair in the octagon

Sh!tty, honestly. The very first UFC fights were like that - everyone brought a 100% pure style. The boxer was one of the worst. As soon as he got taken down, he was helpless. Fighters very quickly learned to blend styles. Everyone needs at least one striking art and one grappling art.

As an mma fighter, striking ability, which includes punches and kicks, is the skill set that sells tickets. Even fighters who are grapplers will be pressured to stand and trade punches, because that is what the crowd wants to see. Even if you win your fight, if you're boring, the promoter is not going to invite you back to fight again.

I think a pure boxing match plays right into Mayweather's hands. He is the world's best at manipulating the rules of boxing into his favor. If we wanted a fair fight, I think kickboxing would be a perfect compromise, say K1 rules. I would pay to see Mayweather get kicked around a ring. I think it would be hilarious. He wouldn't be able to get close enough to hug and stall. Or, we could go with Muay Thai rules, where he can hug all he wants, but gets to take knee strikes while doing so.

Von

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I doubt it would happen.

Différent sport (cause its a sport before being a "selfdefence"), so they train differently.

Mayweather would lilkely kill him in a boxing duel

Connor practice "movement" and "martial arts" so he would move all the time and always go for the leg

Bible Belt said it. UFC doesnt want long ground game, which are technical. Thus grabblers and wrestlers are always in disavantage (some people would have won their matches if they could ground game for hours)

Connor coming from TKD would have a advantage also in kickboxing

In boxing rules: Mayweather 100%
In UFC rules: 50-50
In K1: 40-60

Mayweather trained for décades 8 hours a week, the same patterns of set

Connor trained for décades, 8hours à day, 3 différent sport technique

However they both have unorthodox style and are great show man