Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Mayan calendar and the end of the world

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Espi said:
Well, as society evolves, it becomes a little less superstitious and religious.
Indeed. The Mayans were ritually sacrificing children. Not just once in a while, but continually over a period of hundreds of years. Archaeologists have found the beheading stones with centuries of dried blood on them. The walls had pictures, just in case there was any doubt.

Julius_Seizeher

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The fact that so many regard these prehistoric savages as a valid source of knowledge, or somehow possessing some superior mystical wisdom, is a testament to the fact that the intellectual advancement of man has left many in the past.

Given the choice between a radical new nanomolecular drug or the chanting of a witch doctor, which cure would you choose?

Rogue

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Espi:
Well, as society evolves, it becomes a little less superstitious and religious. Logic and time and rationale replace superstition and religion. Back in the old days, cultures truly believed that much of life's events were controlled by dieties. In my opinion, we're a lot more rational about things compared to the days of mythological gods and virgin sacrificing.
As much as I want to co-sign with agreement with this naivety, I disagree.

Society has only barely evolved. Here we stand five hundred years since the Renaissance and Enlightenment and, according to two Gallup polls, 80% of Americans hold at least one paranormal belief, like ghosts, telepathy, pre-cognition, UFOs, and fairy leprechaun unicorns. There are strong anti-intellectual anti-scientific sentiments among the general population. Whenever I write on a scientific topic of skepticism of a paranormal or superstitious belief, I always receive fire from commenters how science has been wrong in the past and how intellectuals are in their Ivory Towers, away from common sense and out of touch with reality, supposedly. Carl Sagan held a candle in the dark with his book The Demon Haunted World and there is not enough darkness in the world to extinguish the light of a single candle. There may be more candles now than yesteryear but the darkness will always remain. People enjoy the fruits of technology but despise science when it deflates their fantasies.

People tend to become superstitious when there is a psychological external locus of control, periods of stress, uncertainty, and danger when they need to survive. Cultures have more superstitions the further out and more tumultuous the ocean depths their people travel; baseball players have superstitious rituals before batting but not when they are in the outfield where statistics favor them. People see patterns to adapt from their environment and spot dangers, and people see more patterns when they are about to jump out of an airplane. People with higher levels of dopamine are more creative; experiments show people who tend to have paranormal experiences tend to have more dopamine and are more creative thinkers. It's good to be open-minded to new ideas but not so open that your brain fails out.

There was a period of time during the 1980's when intellectuals like Carl Sagan and Michael Shermer thought the candle of rationality would triumph over superstitions and religion, but the tides of religion fought back. As James Randi once pointed out, belief is like an unsinkable rubber duck. It keeps floating no matter how much contrary evidence and reason is presented otherwise.
Julius_Seizeher:
Given the choice between a radical new nanomolecular drug or the chanting of a witch doctor, which cure would you choose?
Many governments in Africa reject AIDS medicine for holy water.

f283000

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The mayans didn't say the world would end, they said THIS AGE would end.

If you want some deep knowledge on 2012 check this out

Brother Polight 2012 Divine Teaching

Although I don't believe the world will end in 2012 I do believe something might happen. If not why would the united states and other governments be spending millions of dollars in secret over the past decade building huge underground bunkers for their elite?

Jesse Ventura: Secret Underground Bases

Alex DeLarge

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
5string said:
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/2012-end-world-countdown-based-mayan-calendar-starts-101657134.html

OK. If the Maya were so fvckin smart so as to predict the end of the world 12/21/12, how come they did not forcast the extinction of their entire race and do something about it? :confused:
Mayans aren't an extinct ethnicity of people, they still reside in southern Mexico, and central America. Mayan languages are still spoken today in their regions (although Spanish is the main language). Their civilization was just conquered by Spain.

If you take a look at their writings, nothing says "This is the end of the world".. It's just the end of a cycle of time. Much like how our year ends on December 31st and a new year begins on January 1st. A B'ak'tun ends on December 21st, 2012 and a new one begins on December 22nd, 2012.

Also, not pertaining to mayans (but roughly genetically a same ethnicity..) The Aztecs actually have an old folklorish tale of one of their leaders leaving their civilization and returning as a god (Quetzlcoatl) at a certain date.. And when that date actually came, Hernan Cortez arrived in the ancient capital of the Aztecs (Tenochtitlan) and eventually conquered Mexico for Spain. Obviously, there might be some historical implications of that interpretation (history is written by the conquerers) and Cortez wrote about that in his journal. Interesting stuff though!

I just want to say, the Mayan societies of the Pre-contact New World were absolutely spot on with mathematics, astronomy, and government (empirical evidence in the archaeological record for this). A lot of the stuff in highschool textbooks is very biased information. You might ask "Well, how come they couldn't defend themselves then?"

If you look at historical documentation of when Cortez went to conquer the Aztecs in Mexico, his men were VASTLY outnumbered by the Aztec military.. Although they did have superior technology (steel) but the main reason why the Indigenous populations of the new world were so easily conquered was because they had not been introduced to small pox before, therefore there was no immunity in the gene pool of their population which lead to mass die-outs.

Just wanted to clear some stuff up in this thread.. Don't mean to sound like a "know-it-all" :)

r0cky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
5string said:
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/2012-end-world-countdown-based-mayan-calendar-starts-101657134.html

OK. If the Maya were so fvckin smart so as to predict the end of the world 12/21/12, how come they did not forcast the extinction of their entire race and do something about it? :confused:
The mayans predicted their land would be invaded by the "blonde blue-eyed men". But the Mayans also understood destiny, and understood that their society would be basically destroyed by the conquistadors. This is part of their calendar's prediction based on time cycles, a prediction that indicated that the world would go through a "dormant state" for the next 260 years. (mid 1700's to now).

From what i gather,Mayans divided time into cycles of evolution. The super cycle lasts 26,000 years, and this is divided into 5 great cycles lasting 5,125 years, which are divided into 20 mini cycles of 260 yrs.
Supossedly, consciousness evolves in each cycle. Each cycle is different, and each cycle begins with a consciousness shifting experience for humanity. The cycle we're presently in started with revolutionary wars, the previous cycle began with the discovery and colonialization of the Americas. The death of Jesus sarted one of the cycles.

So you can see there's a pattern of powerful events for each mini cycle. Some mini cycles are good and some are bad, some produce powerfull change, others are subtle, but they all are part of the evolution of consciousness, or of "God", the mind, or whatever your understanding of reality is. The bigger the cycle, the more powerfull the change. For example, we don't have any recorded history previous to the present great cycle which started 5,125 years ago, ( and the things created before then, we don't really understand. ie The Pyramids) and some studies estimate that the Great Flood took place around this time.

The end of the mayan calendar marks the end of the current 26,000 super cycle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Rd6VWLbv9w&feature=related

Last edited:

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Julius_Seizeher said:
Depends on how close to the bible belt am I living and how uneducated I am.

ArcBound

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I agree with Rogue.

Anyone remember 2000 and how all computers were supposed to crash and kill us all?

Anyone remember Harold Camping just a year ago predicting the worlds end and actually swindled millions of dollars from his many followers? And when the world didnt end he said we were momentarily saved and the actual date was moved to a future date? Which people still believed and he was wrong yet again?

How about all the people who STILL believe in ghosts and spirits and haunted houses despite there never being any tangible existence or proof? Yet that superstition exists over hundreds of years.

How about the popular term: Dont jinx it?

Superstitions still exist in different forms just not in a lets burn a witch or get virgin blood sort of way.

backseatjuan

Banned
Reaction score
NO WHERE DID MAYA SAY THE WORLD WILL END.

Find me a place where it says so and I will construct a flying carpet for you and we'll fly across the world partying and getting b1tches.

r0cky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Julius_Seizeher said:
The fact that so many regard these prehistoric savages as a valid source of knowledge, or somehow possessing some superior mystical wisdom, is a testament to the fact that the intellectual advancement of man has left many in the past.

An ancient mayan or a phd engineer, which would you choose to build you a stone pyramid?

Lets keep this in context.

backseatjuan

Banned
Reaction score
I'd choose shaman for cure, and ancient Egyptian to build a pyramid. Keep in mind, it is document that shamans are able to cure what our medicine can't, and our engineers are to this day baffled how pyramids were constructed with such precision.

Now, let's don't forget what I said in my previous post. SHOW ME WHERE MAYANS SAY WORLD WILL END?

Perhaps it's YOUR interpretation of a long forgotten language that's flawed?

Jitterbug

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
2012 is when the world of fat white people ends and the dirty Mexicans (ex-Mayans) take back theirs.

Ken785

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
People will come up with all sorts of silly things like this...

First they said the world was going to end in 2000. Nothing Happened.

Now they're saying 2012...nothing is going to happen.

If there are any true believers out there who really believe this, hey!, how about i'll bet you 1 billion dollars and give you 1000 to 1 odds??

Also, I have a bridge in Brooklyn id like to sell you...interested?

ArcBound

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
r0cky said:
An ancient mayan or a phd engineer, which would you choose to build you a stone pyramid?

Lets keep this in context.
A pHD engineer.

Engineers of today never said it is impossible to build a stone pyramid today.

Engineers of today just say they are surprised that people from a long time ago had the technology or tools to accomplish it.

If we wanted to we could whip up a stone pyramid today, we just don't because there are better uses of money on more technologically complicated architecture such as skyscrapers, rotating skyscrapers, artificial islands like Dubai has been making this past decade. The skyline of New York City is infinitely more beautiful and much more architecturally complex than any pyramid ever made.

Julius' point still holds even in this context.

r0cky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ArcBound said:
A pHD engineer.

Engineers of today never said it is impossible to build a stone pyramid today.

Engineers of today just say they are surprised that people from a long time ago had the technology or tools to accomplish it.

If we wanted to we could whip up a stone pyramid today, we just don't because there are better uses of money on more technologically complicated architecture such as skyscrapers, rotating skyscrapers, artificial islands like Dubai has been making this past decade. The skyline of New York City is infinitely more beautiful and much more architecturally complex than any pyramid ever made.

Julius' point still holds even in this context.
..and I'm sure the buildings of today can last thousands of years without any maintanance, right.... My point is that if they know how to build a pyramid they probably have their **** handled and might just be more intelligent than some of us give them credit for.

BTW. I doubt you are even somewhat educated on the Great Pyramid. Sure, if engineers today put their time to it, we might come up with ways to move a stone weighing a thousand tons, cut it, and stack it many stories up on top of another, but there's more that. The Great Pyramid contains halls, secret rooms, and doors that we havent been able to open. Its more than just some stones piled up on top of others.

ArcBound

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
r0cky said:
..and I'm sure the buildings of today can last thousands of years without any maintenance, right....
No one ever made that claim, if we wanted to build buildings out of stone than yeah they would last pretty long. But guess what, we don't live in stone houses anymore. It's called technology

r0cky said:
My point is that if they know how to build a pyramid they probably have their **** handled and might just be more intelligent than some of us give them credit for.
I agree we can't precisely pinpoint the level of technology or knowledge a civilization had thousands of years ago. Still doesn't change the fact that pHD engineers today could probably handle any job that ancient Egyptians could thousands of years ago.

r0cky said:
BTW. I doubt you are even somewhat educated on the Great Pyramid.
BTW. You'd be wrong. Watched a lot of documentaries and news articles about the complexity of it.

r0cky said:
Sure, if engineers today put their time to it, we might come up with ways to move a stone weighing a thousand tons, cut it, and stack it many stories up on top of another, but there's more that. The Great Pyramid contains halls, secret rooms, and doors that we havent been able to open. Its more than just some stones piled up on top of others.
It's not we might, it's we CAN and WILL if anyone in today's age actually cared to build it. The small halls secret rooms and etc. etc. you mention can be figured out eventually as well. Just because we haven't figured out how to open a door doesn't mean zomg ancient people are suddenly vastly more knowledgeable on architecture and physics than thousands of years of progress and knowledge acquired and taught.

Modern buildings, modern bridges, modern artificial islands are infinitely more complicated and advanced than any pyramid on the face of the earth. And the Great Pyramid you mentioned took an almost unlimited budget from the pharaoh, 200,000 men and the best minds in the Egyptian empire. We put that to shame all the time.

As Julius mentioned:

SamTheHobit

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Jitterbug said:
2012 is when the world of fat white people ends and the dirty Mexicans (ex-Mayans) take back theirs.
lol xD

Vice

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
backseatjuan said:
NO WHERE DID MAYA SAY THE WORLD WILL END.

Find me a place where it says so and I will construct a flying carpet for you and we'll fly across the world partying and getting b1tches.
Let's just do that anyway.

Vice

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
r0cky said:
..and I'm sure the buildings of today can last thousands of years without any maintanance, right.... My point is that if they know how to build a pyramid they probably have their **** handled and might just be more intelligent than some of us give them credit for.
They were essentially people just like us, their understanding of mathematics and science wasn't up to par with what we have today.

But for the most part, if you went back in time you would find that human behavior and relationships, and just society in general will be similar. What would really blow their minds is the random sh*t you'd remember from math and science class, and explaining modern society to them. They'd probably proclaim you as some god that dropped by to say hi.