Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Max-OT in 30-40 minutes, how?

One on One

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The Max-OT guys advocate doing 6-9 work sets per muscle group with 2-3 minutes rest between sets. They say this can be done in 30-40 minutes, but since I started doing Max-OT my workouts are going 60+ minutes (longer than before). I'm not saying Max-OT doesn't work....it does! But, I want to know if I'm doing something wrong.

Let's say I'm doing Biceps and Triceps. I've got 3 warm-up sets and 2 acclimation sets for each. Then, I'm doing 2 exercises for each so that's another 12 sets (6 for each muscle group).

Sets Breakdown:

Dumbell Curls: 3 warm-ups, 2 acclimations, 3 work sets
Barbell Curls: 3 work sets

Tricep Pushdown: 3 warm-ups, 2 acclimations, 3 work sets
Tricep Extension: 3 work sets

So, that's 22 sets and each set takes at least :30 to perform. That's 11 minutes of training (probably more).

If you throw in 2 minutes rest between each set, you're looking at over 40 minutes of rest.

So, in total you're lucky to finish in 50-60 minutes and that's only doing 6 work sets. How do these guys say you can finish a Max-OT workout in 30-40?

Reaction score
Originally posted by One on One
The Max-OT guys advocate doing 6-9 work sets per muscle group with 2-3 minutes rest between sets. They say this can be done in 30-40 minutes, but since I started doing Max-OT my workouts are going 60+ minutes (longer than before). I'm not saying Max-OT doesn't work....it does! But, I want to know if I'm doing something wrong.

Let's say I'm doing Biceps and Triceps. I've got 3 warm-up sets and 2 acclimation sets for each. Then, I'm doing 2 exercises for each so that's another 12 sets (6 for each muscle group).

Sets Breakdown:

Dumbell Curls: 3 warm-ups, 2 acclimations, 3 work sets
Barbell Curls: 3 work sets

Tricep Pushdown: 3 warm-ups, 2 acclimations, 3 work sets
Tricep Extension: 3 work sets

So, that's 22 sets and each set takes at least :30 to perform. That's 11 minutes of training (probably more).

If you throw in 2 minutes rest between each set, you're looking at over 40 minutes of rest.

So, in total you're lucky to finish in 50-60 minutes and that's only doing 6 work sets. How do these guys say you can finish a Max-OT workout in 30-40?
The warm-ups and acclimations don't count as "sets" because under Max-OT you're not working at overload level. Max OT quite clearly states that you shouldn't be going to fatigue on warmups or acclimation... you shouldn't be taking full two-three minute breaks between warmup acclimation sets...

Easy. You're doing 2 separate body parts at 6 work sets a piece. The Bi/Tri combo will take about that long on Max OT.

However, Chest, Back, Delts, and Legs, can be easily completed in about 40 minutes.

Last edited:

Shiftkey

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You're fine as long as you don't go over 75 minutes. Make sure to get a lot of simple carbs (dextrose/maltodextrin drinks) immediately after your workout.

California Love

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
dude, you don't need that many sets for such small muscles.

max-ot works, but still has some flawed principles. Personally, I only use their "warmup" method with compound exercises like the db bench.

if u wanna do easy stuff like bis and tris, just go full out. Light stretching before you start.

3x6 alternating db curls
2x6 weighted chinups

3x6 tricep pushdowns
3x6 skullcrushers

Reaction score
Originally posted by California Love
dude, you don't need that many sets for such small muscles.

max-ot works, but still has some flawed principles. Personally, I only use their "warmup" method with compound exercises like the db bench.

B]

flawed how? Please elaborate.

didn't you just prescribe 11 worksets for the kid when he originally was doing 12? It's not much of a change!

~UnDisputed~

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
you rsets are repititve

dunbell and barbell curlls are hitting the same muscle from the same angle. there is no need to be repetivite like that. try htting just one set of these. besides your hitting these areas in other excersises as well.

Bonhomme

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Why so many sets?

I've had the best results doing 3 sets, max. If you're doing 2 or 3 sets with heavy enough weight and proper intensity, anything greater would be overkill, and break your muscle down more thn it builds it up.

In fact, by the third circuit, my muscles are pretty well fatigued.