Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Martial Arts-One Way to Build True Confidence

Micheal Moon

Don Juan
Reaction score
This is more a tip for inner game.

I know the most popular recommendation on this site is lifting weights but for those who don't want to/not into lifting weights or are skinny I think this is another alternative.

I've always been physically active and have an athletic build. I used to lift weights but am more into other sports in general. I did get confidence from lifting weights but since I've taken martial arts (judo, wrestiling, boxing, etc) my confidence has risen slowly and now that I look back, dramatically.

Why? well martial arts basically improves you as a person. When I lifted weights, my confidence was heavily based off of my physical appearance.

Contrast that with the fact that with martial arts you develop true physical and mental toughness, determination, self control, mental acuity, and learning capacity. It forces you too embrace/ take on challenges, to constantly improve and to conquer fear. You become a more positive person becaue you have the self belief you can deal with whatever comes up. That's confidence

Consider the fact that gaining a skill (eg, painting, playing an instrument) improves your self esteem. Now, gaining a skill in something as primal as fighting/self defense not only boosts confidence, but it is truely empowering. Mainly because not only can you defend yourself, your'e just a more self assured balanced person overall.

Plus its nice knowing you can kick ass lol.

Another bonus. Once girls find out you can/do fight they find it impressive, I know from experience. That's just a nice byproduct of it.

I didn't get that just from lifting weights. I'm not knocking lifting weights because it has a lot of benefits and it build impressive physique.

However, I just wanted to post this as an alternative. Give it some thoughts guys. Plus

Potbelly

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This is so true. I started muay thai a few months ago and in the beginning I felt so scared going in and seeing these guys brutally kneeing the pads. I was about to turn around and leave RIGHT AWAY.

But I stuck with it and every two days I go to class and conquer a little fear of mine. It's great. I am feeling stronger, in better shape, have more confidence and walk a little taller now. Great tip!

MMA Juan

Don Juan
Reaction score
I agree with ya all the way Moon, and would highly recommend martial arts ( Particulalrly MMA :) ) to anybody to build your self discipline and confidence.

MMA Juan

Don Juan
Reaction score
I've thought about doing this for a long time now. Now that I'm finally financially independent, it's possible. Does anyone have any recommendations? I want something that will actually be useful for real type situations.
As my name says it all, I'm going to recommend MMA to you. mixed martial arts covers aspects on how to defend and attack both standing and on the ground.

However, if its not your thing, Krav Maga is also quite useful.

War Against Betaism

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah I've always had plans of taking a martial arts class not only for confidence, but because so many boyfriends are after me because they think I'm cheating with their girlfriends lol.

Playing sports helps a lot too. Before I used to be so timid playing basketball. It was so intimidating seeing the court rumble from heavy foot steps of basketball players and the intense and physical play around the basket, but now I thrive off of it and it helped my game.

Interceptor

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A lot of what I learned, and especially about Self Confidnece, I learned through Martial Art.

Not only training in front of other people, but with people, and teaching and speaking and presenting myself in front of other students and instructors helped tremendously.

For me, I would recommend Jeet Kune Do primarily.
I would also look at the spectrum of arts offered in the JKD curriculums available. They include Muay Thai, BJJ, FIlipino Kali/Escrima and others.

mahon83050

Banned
Reaction score
Micheal Moon said:

I know the most popular recommendation on this site is lifting weights but for those who don't want to/not into lifting weights or are skinny I think this is another alternative.

I've always been physically active and have an athletic build. I used to lift weights but am more into other sports in general. I did get confidence from lifting weights but since I've taken martial arts (judo, wrestiling, boxing, etc) my confidence has risen slowly and now that I look back, dramatically.

Why? well martial arts basically improves you as a person. When I lifted weights, my confidence was heavily based off of my physical appearance.

Contrast that with the fact that with martial arts you develop true physical and mental toughness, determination, self control, mental acuity, and learning capacity. It forces you too embrace/ take on challenges, to constantly improve and to conquer fear. You become a more positive person becaue you have the self belief you can deal with whatever comes up. That's confidence

Consider the fact that gaining a skill (eg, painting, playing an instrument) improves your self esteem. Now, gaining a skill in something as primal as fighting/self defense not only boosts confidence, but it is truely empowering. Mainly because not only can you defend yourself, your'e just a more self assured balanced person overall.

Another bonus. Once girls find out you can/do fight they find it impressive, I know from experience. That's just a nice byproduct of it.

I didn't get that just from lifting weights. I'm not knocking lifting weights because it has a lot of benefits and it build impressive physique.

However, I just wanted to post this as an alternative. Give it some thoughts guys. Plus

Great, can't wait to start up again.

I took a hybrid sytle of Karate for a year.

mahon83050

Banned
Reaction score
Micheal Moon said:

Great, can't wait to start up again.

I took a hybrid sytle of Karate for a year.

drak_ool

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
great post! i ve been doing muay thai, jiu jitsu and some mma for 2 years now and it really helped boost my confidence AND it tremendously helped me to defend myself in a few situations...

muay thai = highly recommended

kickureface

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
how do oyu find these places? do you have to drive a decent amount of time toget there?

The Damned

Don Juan
Reaction score
Micheal Moon said:

Id love to take up something like Jiujitsu or Muay Thai but im not very agile and im worried of making a huge ass of myself going there. If I was agile I would also love to take up MMA but that would take hours of training.
Your right though the experience would be truly rewarding, these martial artists have a great sense of mind and spirituality.

LostAndConfused

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've done MA for around 10 years now, pretty much all my life. I do muay thai, tae kwon do and tang soo do right now, but I've experimented and trained in many others. It's really built up my determination, self-control, physical stamina, and the endorphin rush that you get after a good workout is great. My mental toughness has also increased drastically from martial arts.

The confidence? Not so much so. I guess MA isn't a confidence boost for everybody.

DJ Alejandro

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
ive been doing aikido and filipino martial arts [both stick and blade] for 6 years now. the confidence you get for your inner game is genuine. i recommend you try it.

Micheal Moon

Don Juan
Reaction score
The Damned said:
Id love to take up something like Jiujitsu or Muay Thai but im not very agile and im worried of making a huge ass of myself going there. If I was agile I would also love to take up MMA but that would take hours of training.
Your right though the experience would be truly rewarding, these martial artists have a great sense of mind and spirituality.
Hey don't worry about it man. I would recommend jiujitsu for you actually. Why? Because its very technical and you don't necessarily have to rely on agility to be effective. You don't have to be uber athletic to be good at it.

One of the instructors near to where I live is somewhat chubby and he destroys everyone. I recommend if your'e interested, to go to a school and take one or two classes. A lot of schools will let you grapple/roll and get a feel for what its about before you join. Some even give you a week to come in.

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I remember my first day taking Krav Maga. It was a free trial lesson just to try it out and see what I thought. I barely made it past the cardio warmup I was so out of shape. And after the hour long class, I was so exhausted I nearly threw up when I walked out the door. Despite this, I took that as a sign that I need to get my ass in shape and do this. Now it's about a year and a half later and I'm at orange belt and if I had to go back to that original warmup I did, I probably would hardly even break a sweat now. I'm so glad I decided to go through with the training.

crashbutnotburn

Don Juan
Reaction score
I used to box in high school and shortly after getting divorced 3 years ago, I took it up again. I dropped nearly 60 lbs the first two years, and now that I've had a few fights, my confidence has gone through the ceiling.

Boxing gyms are cheap -- mine is $3 per workout after 5 PM and you can work out all night. I have mixed it up with guys who have prison tattoos and diamonds in their teeth and I have walked out in one piece -- sometimes bruised and bloody, but still standing. THAT builds confidence.

Watch the way a boxer walks. Their shoulders are back, their heads are forward -- they charge into the world, not hulking or posturing, just unafraid. I really do think that that confidence translates into your everyday life. Take up any martial art and it will help your confidence, but I think that arts where you spar and/or match, and the heavier the contact the better, will help your game.

xenten

Don Juan
Reaction score
I have been thinking of taking a martial arts class for a while. There is a class at my university, Beginning Karate. Should I take it, or no? I don't want to get a crappy class compared to taking it elsewhere.