Marriage Denied

Rollo Tomassi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I thought I'd relate a story about my nephew here since it seems like it may help someone else considering this in the same situation.

Last May I attended the graduation ceremony of my 21 year old nephew Martin. He's my sister-in-law's son and everyone flew into town to see him graduate. I like the guy, a lot and after his father died I tried to relate to him as a man a bit more since he's entering an age where he needs masculine guidance in a bad way. Martin had a girlfriend named Rachel.

After meeting Rachel and seeing how the two interacted socially I could tell that it was a bit of a one-sided relationship. He needed her more than she needed him and this was apparent to me. Martin had a well paying job lined up and so did Rachel. Martin was (and is) very independent in most other areas of his life, but women isn't one of them.

At the graduation party Martin's grandparents, aunts and uncles (and his mother's new boyfriend), including my wife all covertly talked about them getting married and what a lovely girl she was and what a perfect match they were. I was the lone voice in the wilderness in all of this and told my wife, "They'll be broken up before the end of the year." Suddenly I'm an asswhole for being the prophet of doom. "How could you say something like that?" I was repeatedly asked. Boy was she pisssed, but I could see in her body language, mannerisms and what she talked about that Rachel wasn't interested in settling down any time soon. In fact I got the distinct impression that she would soon be splitting up with my nephew.

But I was vilified for even thinking this. "Things aren't always what you think they are mister. You don't know everything, stop over-analyizing this and let love take it's course."

Yesterday, my wife informed me that her mother called to say that Martin had proposed to Rachel and she turned him down. They are apparently splitting up as of this week. And like a good husband I kept my "told you so's" to myself and the wife pretended like I'd never said it would happen, but actually I was glad that this had finally happened because now I have the liberty to tell Martin what I've wanted to for almost a year, that he is an AFC and he needs to get back on track.

Martins is a good looking guy, he has good prospects and a good job and a lot of ambition, thank God Rachel had the foresight and strength to put him off under the pressure I'm sure her parents and Martins family have no doubt implied for quite some time now.

Just something to think about.

She makes you weak in the knees.

But she won't give you the time of day.

Here is how to get her.

AverageFC

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
you still can't help but feel bad for the guy. I think it sucks for anyone having a proposal turned down, that's gotta take some balls in the first place.

And like a good husband I kept my "told you so's" to myself and the wife pretended like I'd never said it would happen
Man I dunno if I could do that. I'd bring it up every day for the next week. "So remember when I said they'd be broken up by the end of the year?" heh.

ThunderMaverick

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
How scary. If I didn't go to this site, i'd proably end up in the same situation.

How manipulative the va-china can be.

Nightspark

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Well Rollo Tomassi, Martin's going to be grateful when you show him the "DJing Ropes"

Most people who are AFC just need a good role model to teach them the Ropes... i know that's all i needed :)

Teach Martin well!

Rollo Tomassi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Same age as Martin. And that was kind of a giveaway I suppose, but either I've developed a better judgement of character or she was an easy read for me. I also took into consideration the events that go on in relationships in college. What works in college dorm life never gels with real life.

It was very obvious to me, but both her family and my wife's are very religious (they both graduated from Concordia U) and this never entered any of their heads that they wouldn't get married. Unbeknownst to my wife or her family I even told him during this time not to consider getting married until he was at least 28, to which he emphatically agreed with me at the time, but it just goes to show what desperation will do to a guy.

Nightspark

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
i reckon it was some outside source that wouldve pushed him to ask her to marry him...

i dont get how someone can agree to something and then do a complete 180 on it?

Rollo Tomassi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
'Eh, well, it's kind of different expectancies for different people. I talk to him like a man, not a kid and he picks up on that so his responses are going to be what he thinks I'd want to hear. It's a lot like talking to a pvssywhipped friend when his wife's not around. He'll man-up and talk like 'one of the guys', but let his girlfriend or wife enter the conversation and he'll change his attitude and responses to meet her expectancies. Not that Martin is whipped like that, but he'll be pre-whipped for the next girl if I don't intervene now. I can only hope to get to him and have things sink in while he's not with any girl.

oda

Don Juan
Reaction score
Rollo, I try to be the guy you are being in my everyday life, and there is nothing better than helping somebody to realize their foolish mistakes =] Preach on!

AlwaysExcel

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
You know him better than me but a lot of guys aren't ready to hear that they suck with women. That is really devastating for a guy's self image and feeling of self worth. I mean think of the connotations of not being able to get a mate on a biological level! So don't be surprised if he gets mad at you. On the other hand, maybe he'll be so shaken by this rejection that he'll ask you why he failed and he'll be ready to accept the answer.

00Kevin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My words of advice to any one his age is that women between the ages of 18-24 are too imature to take seriously. Your story is just further evidence of that.

This guy Martin needs to be told this. You have to snap him out of fantacy land. At the same time you have to tell him not to grow up hating women.

I wish someone (even my father) would of told me about modern women. The problem is that women have changed since he grew up. So even a good father figure wouldn't know enough to help a guy.