Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Management is overrated

Pandora

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So ive been at this company for a few years now. Manager recently quit. I am being groomed for management and it sucks. If an employee does something dumb you get the blame. If an employee is lazy then you have to deal with it. If someone calls out then you are responsible. Upper management is clueless and likes to make ridiculous demands. Oh and you get to take your work home with you.

The only thing good about management is the pay.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
So ive been at this company for a few years now. Manager recently quit. I am being groomed for management and it sucks. If an employee does something dumb you get the blame. If an employee is lazy then you have to deal with it. If someone calls out then you are responsible. Upper management is clueless and likes to make ridiculous demands. Oh and you get to take your work home with you.

Then leave the company. If you work for a bad company then blame the company not the position.

No idea why people know the company they work for sucks but yet still stay there year after year.

Leave. Take action. If you want to change your situation then do something about it. Complaining does nothing.

If you are staying only cause they pay you a lot then you are choosing to accept the issues for money and have no real right to complain.

Borknagar

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Pretty much, and often the uppers are dumber than ****.

That and if any hotties that are under you have a thing for you, you can't do **** **** it. One of my co-workers employees wants me, I can't do **** about it.

Yet. As I'm going to leave to a more Sr position elsewhere.

Then. Perhaps lol

Westminster

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score

I tend to agree, although middle management is, in my experience, worse than senior management inasmuch as you're effectively the meat in the sandwich as a middle manager ie. caught in the middle with pressure from both above and below.

Middle managers are also often more vulnerable when it comes to restructures and redundancies as well.

Millard Fillmore

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's not for everyone and it's definitely not for me. Some people are good at it - to me the best managers use a hands off approach most of the time. I've never had the goal of managing others, I prefer working on my own as much as possible.

Pandora

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Pretty much, and often the uppers are dumber than ****.

That and if any hotties that are under you have a thing for you, you can't do **** **** it. One of my co-workers employees wants me, I can't do **** about it.

Yet. As I'm going to leave to a more Sr position elsewhere.

Then. Perhaps lol
You are so right man. Upper management tends to be so out of touch with the reality on the ground. They are an impediment to efficiency. I is a negative that you cant bang your co workers as a manager lol. I never thought of that because I dont have any hotties working directly under me.

Pandora

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I tend to agree, although middle management is, in my experience, worse than senior management inasmuch as you're effectively the meat in the sandwich as a middle manager ie. caught in the middle with pressure from both above and below.

Middle managers are also often more vulnerable when it comes to restructures and redundancies as well.
Yup totally right. Middle managers are the whipping boy for the workers and upper management. Senior management can make you life hell if they are too overbearing. The workers can make your life hell if they are too lazy.

AmsterdamAssassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's only bad if you have no other options.

CAPSLOCK BANDIT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's called Middle Management Hell for a reason, you play the scape goat so the higher ups have protection, you take on their workload so they have free time, they take your ideas and receive credit for them.

#1 rule of management is don't look after the higher ups, they are gonna look after themselves, guarantee that, instead look after the little guy, realize that Management isn't fair, a guy who's under you can very easily maneuver to a position above you simply by being dumb and unqualified, they want people in these positions who aren't going anywhere, who feel this is the pinnacle for them.

Reincarnated

Don Juan
Reaction score
This is going to be industry/company dependent. Having to take the heat for the poor choices of those under you is called leadership, you have to set the tone and deal with it, that's why the buzz phrase "tone at the top" has caught on the last decade.

I think that middle management having to take a lot of flack is just part of paying your dues in the corporate world. Remember, practically everyone in "upper" management was once in middle management, and dealt with the same flack.

Also, I think that at a lot of places, the perception of management is that they're lazy or clueless, but more often than not they're competent, and a lot of their core responsibilities are out of view of the rank-and-file.

Working in a smaller public company the last few years I've gotten a great deal of CFO/CEO level exposure, and because their roles are so strategic thinking based, they don't always have a perfect pulse of everyone else's day-to-day, things that for you might seem obvious.

The situation you're in may be worse, but that's my experience. Also I think you understand the last line. The pay is a big deal, that's kind of the whole point of work. Take this opportunity to show that you're a leader, build efficiencies in your team, and grow.

Pandora

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Damn there is a lot of great advice in this thread. I really appreciate it guys.

FlirtLife

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
It sounds like your resume has no management experience, and this company offers it. Consider two scenarios: looking for a job now, with no management experience - how long before this offer comes up again? Or if you become a manager, don't like it, and then look for a new job as a manager - that could get you another job as manager that you like better.

New managers tend to be given the more difficult situations - the ones other managers don't want. Expect a bad situation when you are starting out. The question is if you want to have management experience on your resume next time you search for a job.

Borknagar

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You are so right man. Upper management tends to be so out of touch with the reality on the ground. They are an impediment to efficiency. I is a negative that you cant bang your co workers as a manager lol. I never thought of that because I dont have any hotties working directly under me.
Oh yeah, I'm honestly more confident a elementary school student would understand employee ROI better than most upper managers. Making money costs money. It's called investment. Just like you spend money on a new machine, paying employees a competitive wage as well. Temp agencies are laughing all the way to the bank from these suckers who think a rotating door of 30 dollar an hour(20 to the employees 10 to the agency) employees who suck, vs spending 25 for the experienced employees who can produce with less down time and stick around.

They are so damn stupid, it's scary.

Reincarnated

Don Juan
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I'm honestly more confident a elementary school student would understand employee ROI better than most upper managers. Making money costs money. It's called investment. Just like you spend money on a new machine, paying employees a competitive wage as well. Temp agencies are laughing all the way to the bank from these suckers who think a rotating door of 30 dollar an hour(20 to the employees 10 to the agency) employees who suck, vs spending 25 for the experienced employees who can produce with less down time and stick around.

They are so damn stupid, it's scary.
You guys must have worked for some pretty bad organizations in your careers. I know I'm definitely lucky having worked for and with a lot of good people, but I understand that's not everyone's experience.

Pandora

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Doing this small stint as a manager I realized how valuable good employees are. A manager needs to be able to rely on a couple good soldiers. Its not easy finding good people. This is esp true of the Gen Z population.

There are 2 Gen z people and they are so bad. Lazy and other things. It is so stupid for a company to let go a good employee.

BeExcellent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
@Pandora you are gaining experience and that is valuable and marketable for your future, whether it be for yourself in your own endeavors or in a corporate capacity.

You are always managing someone. Good managers guide, support, course correct & get out of the way. Good managers reward solid employees and hold shaky or sub par employees to account & if required, fire them (sub par people). It’s important to fire the bad apples because otherwise good employees are demoralized by the bad or lazy ones.

The thing that struck me as a senior management professional is just how much interpersonal drama you end up dealing with. Employee A doesn’t like employee B; employee C doesn’t appreciate middle manager D’s management style, etc. Fully 40% of the role is personnel personality management.

I reported to the owner & chief medical officer of one company as Senior Site Director and had three other senior level people lateral to me & three middle managers (and their teams beneath them) below me. We set up this structure during my tenure in that role based on competency but each person had different strengths & weaknesses and each middle manager needed to be guided & supported accordingly.

One guy was very technically brilliant & efficient but he had an acrid and at times off putting sense of humor and if his team wasn’t doing something well he tended to take over that task. He knew he could do the task quicker & better. So he needed better social calibration/awareness/sensitivity and he needed to learn to teach & empower his people up to his level & then let them learn by doing the work themselves. Neither was easy for him to do but he grew as a manager in that role & his team grew as well as far as competency.

To be able to do that takes 3 things:

1. Ability to accurately evaluate strengths & weaknesses in your team
2. Willingness and diplomacy to have the difficult conversations (Gee, your humor rubs people the wrong way….Gee you can’t just do it all yourself)
3. The recognition of improvements and encouragement of the better way of doing….

Which assumes

4. The knowledge of what the best or better way of doing is.

The final bit of advice Id give is this:

Credit and recognize people publicly for good ideas and outside the box thinking or solutions; implement great ideas and credit the origin, nothings builds confidence like that, nothing encourages solution based thinking like that.

Criticize and guide privately.

Good management invokes trust. Without trust things get very rotten very rapidly.

Just my $0.02.

Pandora

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
@Pandora you are gaining experience and that is valuable and marketable for your future, whether it be for yourself in your own endeavors or in a corporate capacity.

You are always managing someone. Good managers guide, support, course correct & get out of the way. Good managers reward solid employees and hold shaky or sub par employees to account & if required, fire them (sub par people). It’s important to fire the bad apples because otherwise good employees are demoralized by the bad or lazy ones.

The thing that struck me as a senior management professional is just how much interpersonal drama you end up dealing with. Employee A doesn’t like employee B; employee C doesn’t appreciate middle manager D’s management style, etc. Fully 40% of the role is personnel personality management.

I reported to the owner & chief medical officer of one company as Senior Site Director and had three other senior level people lateral to me & three middle managers (and their teams beneath them) below me. We set up this structure during my tenure in that role based on competency but each person had different strengths & weaknesses and each middle manager needed to be guided & supported accordingly.

One guy was very technically brilliant & efficient but he had an acrid and at times off putting sense of humor and if his team wasn’t doing something well he tended to take over that task. He knew he could do the task quicker & better. So he needed better social calibration/awareness/sensitivity and he needed to learn to teach & empower his people up to his level & then let them learn by doing the work themselves. Neither was easy for him to do but he grew as a manager in that role & his team grew as well as far as competency.

To be able to do that takes 3 things:

1. Ability to accurately evaluate strengths & weaknesses in your team
2. Willingness and diplomacy to have the difficult conversations (Gee, your humor rubs people the wrong way….Gee you can’t just do it all yourself)
3. The recognition of improvements and encouragement of the better way of doing….

Which assumes

4. The knowledge of what the best or better way of doing is.

The final bit of advice Id give is this:

Credit and recognize people publicly for good ideas and outside the box thinking or solutions; implement great ideas and credit the origin, nothings builds confidence like that, nothing encourages solution based thinking like that.

Criticize and guide privately.

Good management invokes trust. Without trust things get very rotten very rapidly.

Just my $0.02.
Wow @BeExcellent this invaluable advice. It resonated when you wrote " 40% of it is personel personality management".
I really appreciate the tips and I will implement them.

Redwood

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Doing this small stint as a manager I realized how valuable good employees are. A manager needs to be able to rely on a couple good soldiers. Its not easy finding good people. This is esp true of the Gen Z population.

There are 2 Gen z people and they are so bad. Lazy and other things. It is so stupid for a company to let go a good employee.
Too bad a lot of companies take this route :confused: