Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Man faces 75 years in jail for videotaping a cop

Ninja Dude

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I didn't even realize this was illegal in some states. I could understand some of the rationale, in terms of people trying to target police, but 75 years?? They are trying to make an example here because too many people are recording police beatdowns/murders and apparently that has to stop so the brutality can continue at the desired pace SMH

http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshhI0vH50966IuLh4ql

joverby

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't get that logic what so ever. I won't bend on it. There's no reason that you shouldn't be able to record a cop. They are at your service to protect and serve. If someone really had it out for them. They wouldn't need to record them to do it. They also probably wouldn't get caught.(If you recorded for commercial use you would blurr out their faces)

There is no real reason you shouldn't be able to video tape them other than cops not wanting proof of beatings, like you said.

What happends if there is a beating and someone has evidence? They submit it to the court and go to jail themselves for doing it. I see this similar to how corporations want anti-whistler blower laws. Saying you have to "whistle-blow" to your boss first before the gov. Ya, that makes sense.

Boss:"Interesting, I had no idea those scandals were going on."
Boss:*Simultaneously plotting destruction of evidence and termination of employee*

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Illinois' corrupt politicians passed that law, making it a felony to record someone without that person's consent. They did so to protect themselves from being recorded taking a bribe. Believe it or not, it's a bigger crime for you to record them taking the bribe than it is for them to take a bribe.

And there are no exceptions to the law. It does not matter if what you are taping is illegal, the taping itself is still a felony. If your neighbor is screaming death threats at you, it's still a felony to record him.

Ninja Dude

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Bible that last post got my blood boiling. Is there really NOTHING we can do to combat such blatant legislative corruption? Is there any hope left in reform or does this whole system need to collapse?

Rogue

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
In some good news, the U.S. First Circuit Court of Appeals just affirmed, in a Massachusetts case, the right for people to audio/videotape the police without their consent, but if the recording was unconcealed. The ruling only applies to the Northeast but it does establish precedent.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's the Chicago political machine at work. Everybody's corrupt at some level; you usually have to be to get the job in the first place.

Four of the past eight Illinois governors have gone to jail for corruption. Back when Blago was still in office, I looked up the list of his biggest campaign contributors and compared it to the list of largest state contracts awarded. They were exactly the same list, even in the same order. Apparently a campaign donation of about 20% of the value of the state contract you wanted was appropriate.

There are some honest and decent people that get elected to government, even in Illinois, and I know this because I have known some of them before they got elected. They might be naive academic liberals, but they're decent guys. However, the political machine is much, much larger than any one man. No one can stop it alone.

And I think that's why the US is so corrupt at a Federal level, despite who is president. We had a clueless conservative that we replaced with a naive liberal, and still nothing changed. The system's too big and the power is too well-entrenched.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Why hasn't this guy skipped town? If I was facing the rest of my life in prison I'd be making a run for the border.