Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

making my neck thicker- any exercises like this?

Master Bates

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have a naturally skinny neck, and I hate that it makes my head look kinda big. Now, I've noticed that if I stretch my arms behind my back, it raises my traps and makes my neck a lot thicker. It's the only thing I can do that does that. Are there any exercises that work the same way? Any kind of exercise that involves extending your arms behind your back like that? Would that help at all?

and yes I know what a deadlift is.

Drum&Bass

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've tried but no luck, I can do neck bridges with 70 lbs but my neck stays skinny.

I'm thinking its genetics. Just like how some guys have a bigger wider bone structure and can give the appearance of having more muscle some guys are more densely packed and appear to be small but are strong.

If you've got a skinny neck its probably always gonna be skinny but that doesn't mean it can't become very strong.

If you want to bulk up that will definitely help.

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've got a pretty thick neck. Movements that can work neck muscles are: shrugs, deadlifts, reverse hypers, situps, band work, among others.

Genetics does play a role, but you can influence yours in the direction you want.

Chillisauce

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I need to start doing some more neck work myself, mine is ridiculously weak. By the way, with situps.. don't pull on your neck it only causes injuries. Keep them in front of your head.

MrS

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Heavy deadlifts and shrugs helped me, I had a similar "problem".
Neck bridges I find a bit useless.
Neck harness you could do.

MrS

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Quiksilver said:
I've got a pretty thick neck. Movements that can work neck muscles are: shrugs, deadlifts, reverse hypers, situps, band work, among others.

Genetics does play a role, but you can influence yours in the direction you want.
Whaaaaaaat?
Band work, excellent, though.

BMX

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
behind-the-back barbell shrugs. There is a different and more limited ROM and is good every now and then to mix things up.

wolf116

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This is something I have been working on for ages with poor success.
Synthol shots to the neck anyone?

I remember Charls Poliquin was against the neck harness because the load is not linear (it gets easer at the top of the movement). He recommended some massive, expensive machine similar to a leg extension machine.

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I dont' have a super thick neck by any means: its a bit over 16" and i'm 5'8" - 170. I notice heavy deadlifts and powercleans, especially powercleans, really help with trap development and that can make your neck thicker.

What do you deadlift/clean? What are your stats/measurements?