Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Mainstream music that girls dig?

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My taste in music is pretty out of the way. I like a lot of obscure electronica and indie bands 99% of people have never heard of. Most the stuff I dig, I pretty much dig alone because nobody else knows about it. I was driving in the car with some girls today and even though they were just friends, I realize how important it is to have music on in the cars that girls can relate to. It seems like most cute chics dig music that's kinda mainstream with a good melody, not to "out there" as far as experimentalism and something you dont' have to think too much about. Luckily I had a burned copy of the recent John Mayer album that they liked that kept them happy. I don't listen to a whole lot of mainstream stuff myself, but I actually did like the Mayer album.

I want to at least get some other stuff that I think chics with more mainstream tastes in music would like to get them in a fun mood. And don't give me any DJ crap about "who cares what they like". You have to put on music girls are going to vibe to so they'll be in a fun mood. I'm thinking of just making a whole playlist on my mp3 player that I'll have for when girls are in the car and I need some fun mood type of stuff that's fairly mainstream and appeals to a wide variety of girls.

Any suggestions on stuff to get? I know a LOT of girls dig Jack Johnson, but he bores the sh*t out of me.

ValleyDJing

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Women are fickle creatures. Just turn the radio on to any hip-hop station and you should be good to go.

Ace of Flames

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Everywhere you want to be.... I'm like a Visa card
Valley pretty much said it. Just flip through the radio stations until they say "ooh ooh I love this song!"

If you want to have the mp3 playlist thing instead, just go onto Vh1 or MTV's websites, and find a top 10 or top 20 list of the current hit songs. See if you like any of the bands in there and grab some songs you can stand that the chicks will like too.

Its a lot easier if you like the songs as well. I could recommend Maroon5. Pretty much all of their songs are about sex, so you could surely find a few you like.

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
As a 31 year old, I just can no longer tolerate most the rap that's put out now. It makes my ears bleed.

ValleyDJing

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I didn't realize you were 31. I was referring to girls from like 16-25. I have no idea for the age group you're pursuing.

monster squad

Don Juan
Reaction score
Personally, I would probably not socialize with anyone, man or women, who is so vapid that they would listen to modern, mainstream music.

Having said that, most of the girls I know are into a lot of this hipster, indie stuff. I don't know what to call it, since I'm not into it in the least, but bands like Band of Horses, Yo La Tango (spelling?), The Decemberists, Modest Mouse, yadda yadda yadda... I can't think of the names.

I usually put on something I can tolorate. Hooverphonic, Radiohead, Portishead, Massive Attack and Bjork go over well. Girls usually don't dig it when I pop in some Aborted though :(

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
monster squad said:
Personally, I would probably not socialize with anyone, man or women, who is so vapid that they would listen to modern, mainstream music.
Unfortunately, that would elimate about 95% of all available women.

I usually put on something I can tolorate. Hooverphonic, Radiohead, Portishead, Massive Attack and Bjork go over well. Girls usually don't dig it when I pop in some Aborted though :(
You and I are on the same page as far as music. Never heard of Aborted though, but the rest of those groups I love. Based on your music tastes, you should check out this group called Alpha. On the same lable as Massive Attack I believe.

monster squad

Don Juan
Reaction score
Heh, Aborted is a death metal band. Most of what I listen to is of some metal subgenre, but I've always tried to remain as open minded about music as I can. I just don't like a lot of what's been mainstream in the last decade.

I'll check out Alpha. Never heard of 'em. But you'll have to check out Katatonia (at least the 5 most recent albums, since they started off as a doom metal band, and I don't know if you'd be into that). They're kind of like what The Cure, Slowdive, Tool and Jeff Buckley would sound like if you threw them all in a blender with some balls, and hit puree. They have a few songs up on their Myspace, but right now it's mostly B-sides, and not representative of their work as a whole.

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I just can't get into metal, or anything loud, thrashy and angry. I'm usually diggin' stuff with a mellow vibe. I did love Slowdive though!

monster squad

Don Juan
Reaction score
It's an aquired taste, and I grew up on it.

Having said that, there are a lot of really good bands that are unfortunately stigmatized as metal bands, even though that's pretty far from the mark. They usually start off as metal bands when they're teenagers, and after a decade they evolve into something totally different, but because they started off as metal bands, they only get press coverage in metal magazines or their CD's are in the metal section at shops.

For example:

The Gathering
http://www.myspace.com/gatheringofficial

Anathema
http://www.myspace.com/weareanathema

Ulver
http://www.myspace.com/ulver1

Antimatter
http://www.myspace.com/antimatterband

Katatonia (though they still have loud guitars, the vocals are too mellow to label them a metal band anymore)
http://www.myspace.com/katatonia

Fallen33

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Dude props for posting Katatonia!

It doesn't matter what girl is in my car, I ALWAYS play some metal music.

Its just WHO I AM and it not changing for anyone.

Desdinova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
And don't give me any DJ crap about "who cares what they like".
If you want a non-DJ opinion, go to another site.

I don't supplicate to women when it comes to music. I'm not going to listen to Celine Dion or James Blunt just because women like it. If they choose to drive me around, they can listen to whatever they like. If they're in my vehicle, they listen to whatever I like.

Obsidian

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
hell yeah, pop music with strong melody is the best anyways! girls are right on this one :rockon:

but I can't stand most hip-hop

Victory Unlimited

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Most women I've been meeting lately have a preference for Old School R&B. And I've found that it's NOT an age specific thing either. I've dated women from 19 to 40 over the past 2 years...and there seems to be something about the sound of a jazzy SAXOPHONE that turns them on...lol.

monster squad

Don Juan
Reaction score
Fallen33 said:
Dude props for posting Katatonia!
I can never shut up about 'em. Always telling people to check them out. It's mind boggling to see a band as talented, and accessible, as that go so criminally unknown.

Now, back on topic:

I can see where the OP is coming from. Four years ago I was living with this guy who listened to nothing but punk. Fair enough. One night I was out at a bar, and met these eight exchange students from like Holland, or Denmark, or somewhere. Somehow I convinced them all to come back to my apartment. So we walk in the door, and this guy decides since it's his stereo, he's gonna play what he wants.... *sigh*... Fvcking guy couldn't even do everyone a favor and play some G rated, happy sh1t that anyone can listen to. Instead, he pops in some GG Allin, blasts the hell out of it, and these girls immediately went from all smiles and looking forward to having fun, to looking like they walked into the Texas Chainsaw Massacre. No powers of mine could fix the situation, and they all left within 20 minutes.

ER!C L!VE

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Check the myspace profiles of hot girls in whatever age group you're interested in dating. It's probably best to make sure you're checking in your area as well...:cheer:

Serialized3

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The three bands that a lot of girls really dig are the Dave Matthews band, 311, and Incubus. A lot of girls also like Sublime, not just the party/stoner girls. Also, if you ever want to shut up a car full of girls, just put on "I like the way you move" from the Speakerboxxx/Love Below Outkast album. That's actually a really solid double album.

Personally, I'm not interested in changing my tastes to accomadate women in my car. Like Monster Squad, I listen to a lot of metal, but I don't expect the ladies to.

I usually just have some "electronic" music in the car like some loungy Drum n Bass mixes, or maybe some EBM/IDM like VnV nation, Mortiis, or Autechre. Those albums are actually my driving music.

I also have a few compilations of 70s and 80s funk songs that are just sort of fun to listen to with a girl in the car.

Finally, one of my favorite bands is the Mars Volta, an experimental/"progressive"/latin/whatever rock group. I usually have this on most of the time when I have a girl in the car. I know quite a few girls that are into this band, and even girls that have never heard of them are interested ("What band is this? This is cool!")

Anyways, thats what I play. I usually keep the music sort of low just for a little atmosphere, and then keep the girl engaged in conversation.

Speakeasy: you said you listen to obscure electronica. Why not put some of the more accessible stuff on in the car, keep it as background, and just see how the ladies react to it? Or learn to love the Dave Matthews Band. :D

Monster Squad: Man, that new Katatonia SUCKS. It's nothing like the glory days of LFDGD or Viva Emptiness. I don't even think I'll see them on their fall tour.

monster squad

Don Juan
Reaction score
What didn't you like about, if you don't mind me asking? My favorites are Discouraged Ones and LFDGD, but TGCD comes in a close third. I honestly hated it at first, and had to force myself to listen to it for a month, because I was expecting something more diverse and bombastic, like Viva Emptiness. I thought it sounded kinda flat, and repetative, and Jonas sounded like he was losing his voice again, since he limited his range this time around. But then I started latching onto individual songs, like I think I got addicted to Increase, Follower and Deliberation first, and the rest of the album just fleshed itself out more and more every time I listened to it. I've kept in it constant rotation since.

Ravenous

Don Juan
Reaction score
Don't compromise musical taste for anyone, especially girls. That's possibly one of the worst things you can do.