Lying about Jobs

xj220

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey, just signed up here and didn't notice anything about this (unless my search fu is weak). My friend claims that we should never tell girls what our jobs are (pilots) because they'll think we're pretentious and *******s, even if we don't act like it. Instead, he likes to say he's a gumball machine refiller, hot air balloon folder, etc. It certainly helps create conversation and keeps things light hearted, however I was wondering what you guys think and what are some jobs you say you do.

cockerdumbnuts

Don Juan
Reaction score
I live in vegas so i tell girls i dance for thunder from down under. i usually get a laugh out of them from that one. Some actually believe me.

guywhoneedshelp

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Haha there was a thing on TV about an old lady who has seen hundreds of those thunder from down under shows.

Demon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
xj220 said:
My friend claims that we should never tell girls what our jobs are (pilots) because they'll think we're pretentious and *******s, even if we don't act like it.
Your friend is an idiot who's attempting to apply Freudian psychoanalysis when he clearly doesn't have the training to do so. Logically, his assertion doesn't make any sense. First, if you're male, never try to guess what women are thinking, particularly if you're naive enough to believe that everyone thinks like you. Second, if dogs can't figure out what you're really saying when you don't communicate the right body language, neither can people.

xj220 said:
Instead, he likes to say he's a gumball machine refiller, hot air balloon folder, etc. It certainly helps create conversation and keeps things light hearted
Sure. You should target your job description to your audience, but as a general rule, what you say should always be interesting. "I'm a Senior Product Analyst at XYZ Corporation" is not interesting. "I work with young adults in the urban community to find direction and purpose in their lives" is interesting.

xj220 said:
however I was wondering what you guys think and what are some jobs you say you do.
Basically, anonymized: "I'm an entrepreneur. Currently, I'm President/CEO at XYZ Corporation where I'm working to further this cause and create meaning."

Rex Man

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Lol, I would say just tell the truth and tell them some interesting stories I had from working on the job. Most jobs seem to have some interesting stories you can tell about them.

xj220

Don Juan
Reaction score
Believe me, flying in the Navy generates a lot of stories. The thing is finding a balance between talking about them and talking about yourself. Another thing, being in the military, you're stuck in military towns so you have to really distinguish yourself from the other guys. Guess it's no different elsewhere now that I think about it.

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I assume you're talking about when you're first meeting and chatting up with women while out and about.

In that case, I talk about my job as little as possible other than in response to direct questioning. Unless you have a really interesting job, there's no benefit to be gained by telling "fun" work stories. Keep the focus on her.

ready123

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
it doesn't fvckin matter

if you tell the girl you're a pilot and you subcommunicate you're mentioning your job to compensate for perceived shortcomings (or a boring interaction), she'll sense this and get turned off by it. this is what your friend is thinking happens all the time. it doesn't though, because...

if you mention it as an answer to a question and then move on with the interaction, it's neutral

if the girl thinks it's a cool profession and you're not a tryhard, you gain value by mentioning it. if you give a funny fake answer, and then follow it up with nah I was just kidding, I'm a pilot, you gain value too off the humor

what the profession is doesn't matter so much as the context in which you say it

on that note, I think being a pilot is a cool profession and naturally implies a lot of things. it's not a yuppy job, it hints you're exciting and a risk-taker, etc. if you got stories that you genuinely think are fun and intersting, share them with the girl