Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Low Carb dieting and testosterone

Jariel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've been trying to drop bodyfat the last few months via a low carb/high protein diet. The results have been amazing and I'm looking great, but my sexual and mental drive is taking a beating.

I'm finding my sex drive is very low at the moment. Additionally, I'm not finding the usual anger and drive for my workouts. During my bulking phase I usually get into a zone where I'm just ready to tear it up, the adrenaline starts pumping and I feel like an animal. Whereas I'm not feeling that at all right now.

Worst of all, I'm actually feeling emotionally sensitive?! I swear, I keep getting down and wanting to cry.

Just wondering if anyone else has had similar issues when cutting or dropping carbs? I plan to even out my diet soon, but still got a little way to go before I'm fully ripped.

Is there any way I can counter these effects while dieting or is it just one of the sacrifices I must make?

Onlyliveonce

Don Juan
Reaction score
i have had luck with Tribulus Terrestrius. It sounds like your testosterone is low. There are plenty of supplements besides Terrestrius. Try a few you should see some results in about three or four days.

Jariel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks man, I'm actually using Tribulus. Usually I find it works like magic, but lately it's not having much effect. I've even tried a stronger version. I'm also trying Argnine, but nothing there either.

However, I've been reading elsewhere I might need to add a high carb day to my week or every 3 days. I've been a bit too strict by the sound of it.

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Jariel said:
Thanks man, I'm actually using Tribulus. Usually I find it works like magic, but lately it's not having much effect. I've even tried a stronger version. I'm also trying Argnine, but nothing there either.

However, I've been reading elsewhere I might need to add a high carb day to my week or every 3 days. I've been a bit too strict by the sound of it.

What does your diet look like?

heroshima

Don Juan
Reaction score
I've found that during weight loss phases that my sex drive drops as well. My acupuncturist friend recommended taking fish oil and siberian ginseng. That helped me quite a bit.

Jariel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
EFFORT said:
What does your diet look like?
On an average low/no carb day...I usually try to eat every 3hours..

Breakfast - Casein Protein shake + scoop of peanut butter
+3hrs - steak or minced beef (sometimes with mixed vegetables)
+3hrs - 3 hard boiled eggs
+3hrs - casein protein shake
+3hrs - 2 chicken breast fillets
+ 3hrs - Casein protein shake

I also add a whey protein shake post workout somewhere between.

I'm also taking multivitamins, tribulus, argnine, codliver oil and creatine.

On my more lenient days I'll add vegetables with the steak and chicken fillets and might have some bran flakes or oatmeal with my protein shake for breakfast.

It's the cleanest I've ever dieted, but I'm getting lean pretty quickly and maintaining muscle mass.

Jariel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
heroshima said:
I've found that during weight loss phases that my sex drive drops as well. My acupuncturist friend recommended taking fish oil and siberian ginseng. That helped me quite a bit.
Thanks. I've been taking some fish oil, but maybe not enough. I'll give the siberian ginseng a try too though.

Boxer

Don Juan
Reaction score
Are you having a cheat meal? You can eat what every you want once a week and not hurt your progress, it's actually good for your progress because you will refill your gylocen stores.

Just a little side note. Your diet is very acidic. You can ruin the pH levels of your blood and that can possibly be a reason for decrease in sexual drive. Eat MORE veggies. 30+ of carbs a day coming from green leaf vegetables won't hurt you at all.

Jariel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks Boxer, I'll take both points into account.

Rather than a cheat meal, I just increase my carbs every few days, but might start adding veggies to 2 meals each day.

I actually had a bit more fruit than usual today (blueberries, apple and a pre-workout banana) and have felt a big improvement this evening in my mood and energy.

j0n24

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
In MOST low carb/high fat or high protein diets there is a day or days where your SUPPOSE to have high carbs.

This replenishes your glycogen in your muscles as well as shocks your body to start using carbs as an energy source again.

I think you need to start adding a carb up day into your diet due to most dieters having a mandatory carb up/ refeed.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you do real cardio, then it's fine to eat carbs afterward. For the 6-8 hours or so after an intense cardio workout, the carbs you eat will go to build muscle and not fat, even simple carbs. Notice I say "real" and "intense" in regard to cardio. That means your lungs are burning and you're gasping for air. Sprints, circuit training, and a lot of other methods can be good cardio, but most people have no idea what "intense" means. You have to really push it.

Hauser

Reaction score
j0n24 said:
In MOST low carb/high fat or high protein diets there is a day or days where your SUPPOSE to have high carbs.

This replenishes your glycogen in your muscles as well as shocks your body to start using carbs as an energy source again.

I think you need to start adding a carb up day into your diet due to most dieters having a mandatory carb up/ refeed.
Yes carb refeeds works good for many people. Your problems could also be that your not eating enough good fat sources, preferentially from meats, cocoa-fat and butter. Remember fat is not a problem too many calories is.

Another alternative (or complementary tool) may be Intermittent Fasting, it controls the right fat burning hormones the same way low carb does leaves you with a bit more freedom with macro composition. Look up Brad Pilon, Martin Berkhan or Ori Hofmekler for more info

Onlyliveonce

Don Juan
Reaction score
I eat nuts(cashews almonds mixed nuts) and dates as a meal at least five times a week. In addition a protein shake with a handful of different vitamins every day. I eat red meat twice a month. I get my protein from fish and chicken. No soda, no bread or pasta. My cheat is fruit and vegetables. Nuts are high in calories and fat. The fat however in nuts help you LOSE bad fat, thus getting shredded. I have lost 33lbs in four months with this plan.
My exercise consists of 4 days of running 2 miles a day and lifting twice a week. Different body types require different foods to lose weight. I gain muscle quickly but always remain puffy if I don't do cardio. If this is your build try this diet.

P.S Drink at least a half gallon of water throughout the day. It moves waste out of your system once the nutrients from the food have been absorbed by your body. Very important.

Jack Wealthy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
noooo, This can seriosuly screw up your hormones. Eat a CHEAT meal every week. Fruit is NOT a cheat meal. Fruit is REQUIRED in a good diet, it has vitamins which are absorbed far, far better then those in vitamin pills. Same with vegetables, and the carbs they supply are going to be burnt. You WANT carbs, no matter how lean you want to get you still want some carbs. Just get them from 2-3 fruit and 5-6 vegetables. It will keep you functioning better.

Jariel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well, I've relaxed my diet lately, added some more carbs, fruit and veg. I'm still eating very clean (no simple carbs except for pre-workout) and I'm maintaining my abs and definition, but feel so much better now!

I'm thinking the strict carb cutting will do for a week here and there to shed a little extra bodyfat, but I don't think I'll attempt it for any longer next time, or at least not as strictly as this.

JDiddy

Don Juan
Reaction score
drink olive oil off the table spoon and eat plenty of raw oysters

see if that helps further