Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Low Body Fat

Erpa

Reaction score
I had my body fat assessed at the gym and it was 7.3%. This is excellent, but why do I not have an obvious six-pack? Sometimes I really think this whole attaining a 6-pack is an obsession and that the only thing that matters is that I look and feel strong--which I do. I am just wondering if some people can have a low bf and not get a definitive appearance of a 6-pack.

I'm 23 yrs old and I weigh 160.8 lbs and 5 ft. 7 inches tall. And my current strength stats:

Squat: 225 lbs
OP: 100lbs
Bench Press: 145 lbs
Deadlifts: 165 lbs
Barbell Rows: 105 lbs

Thoughts?

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My first thought is that you aren't squatting below parallel.

My second, is that your bf% got measured incorrectly.

I-tallionStallion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Quag's third thought is that you should follow the where to start and simple diet thread to build muscle and strength

Erpa

Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply, fellas.

@Quag: You're right about the fact that I am not squatting below parallel. I am doing my best though to squat parallel. How much of a difference, in development of strength, does it make if I go below parallel vs. just parallel?

As, for the bodyfat percentage being measured incorrectly...how do I tell if it was measured incorrectly? They used a Microfit machine. Not that it means it may couldn't have been measured incorrectly, haha.

@I-tallion: Yeah, I should of probably taken a look at that first before posting. I will read through it.

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Erpa said:
How much of a difference, in development of strength, does it make if I go below parallel vs. just parallel?
A lot when you're 60 and you've destroyed your knees from using them as brakes in a squat that's not even a squat.

I am just wondering if some people can have a low bf and not get a definitive appearance of a 6-pack.
Because you don't have big abs because you really squat like 160 lbs and only deadlift the same.

And you probably aren't really that body fat.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
mrRuckus said:
A lot when you're 60 and you've destroyed your knees from using them as brakes in a squat that's not even a squat.
+1

I just had this argument with my roomate 5 minutes ago. Squatting deep isn't bad for your knees... it's not squatting deep enough that's bad for your knees.

kickureface

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i think parallel is just fine if they understand what true parallel means.

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
kickureface said:
i think parallel is just fine if they understand what true parallel means.
There always has to be one.

emelec

Don Juan
Reaction score
so what if your box squatting and you can only find a chair thats parralel?

Vag_Mag

Don Juan
Reaction score
the thing that cuts my abs more than anything in whole wide world is sprinting, it absolutely shreds me like nothing else

try working it into your training schedule once a week and then try twice a week

also i would get a second bf% just to make sure the first was accurate

hope that helps

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't like the whole "parallel" thing. I just go by hip joint below top of knee. There is no way you can bull**** that.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
emelec said:
so what if your box squatting and you can only find a chair thats parralel?
you shouldn't be box squatting to parallel unless you're an equipped powerlifter who has a weakness at that point of the lift. for everyone else box squats should be done below parallel, that's the whole point of them.

use some plates or athletic steps like this http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31Wwat3TusL._SL500_AA280_.jpg to build a low enough box.

in answer to the original poster, it's perfectly possible to have a low bodyfat and no visible abs. you need to build up your abdominal muscles for them to show through just like any other muscle. however I also believe the bf measurement is a bit off. :)

LovelyLady

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Kerpal said:
+1

I just had this argument with my roomate 5 minutes ago. Squatting deep isn't bad for your knees... it's not squatting deep enough that's bad for your knees.

Why is this so?

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
mrRuckus said:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
LovelyLady said:
Why is this so?
our bodies are designed to squat deeply. think of babies when they squat down to pick something up. stopping the lift at or before parallel dumps all the weight on the knees (they act as 'brakes' to stop the descent of the bar) - going down lower transfers the load to the much stronger hips, protecting your knees.

kickureface

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Kerpal said:
I don't like the whole "parallel" thing. I just go by hip joint below top of knee. There is no way you can bull**** that.
that's where parallel is, which most people don't get

mrRuckus said:
There always has to be one.
i guess mark rippetoe disagrees :p

kickureface

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Warboss Alex said:
you shouldn't be box squatting to parallel unless you're an equipped powerlifter who has a weakness at that point of the lift. for everyone else box squats should be done below parallel, that's the whole point of them.

use some plates or athletic steps like this http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31Wwat3TusL._SL500_AA280_.jpg to build a low enough box.

in answer to the original poster, it's perfectly possible to have a low bodyfat and no visible abs. you need to build up your abdominal muscles for them to show through just like any other muscle. however I also believe the bf measurement is a bit off. :)
i think most people will get confused and think the box is there to reach 'depth' which really isn't the point of box squatting.

LovelyLady

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Warboss Alex said:
our bodies are designed to squat deeply. think of babies when they squat down to pick something up. stopping the lift at or before parallel dumps all the weight on the knees (they act as 'brakes' to stop the descent of the bar) - going down lower transfers the load to the much stronger hips, protecting your knees.

Thank you for explaining this to me. The machine I do squats on has my feet not directly under me but forward on somewhat of a slope.

After reading what you said here I realized that it kind of forces me to NOT use my knees and the trainer who taught me how to use it kept telling me to keep going lower. I always thought it was because she wanted me to be challenged - now I realize it was also to protect my knees.

Last edited:

Aka

Don Juan
Reaction score
Is it really bad that I do squats using a smith machine? I really have no alternative

Gus

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
LovelyLady said:
Thank you for explaining this to me. The machine I do squats on has my feet not directly under me but forward on somewhat of a slope.

After reading what you said here I realized that it kind of forces me to NOT use my knees and the trainer who taught me how to use it kept telling me to keep going lower. I always thought it was because she wanted me to be challenged - now I realize it was also to protect my knees.
Yeah you want to squat until your hip flexors tighten up. When they do, they absorb the weight and stop the motion, instead of your knees.