LOVE in the Time of Cholera

Interceptor

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I got another amazing newsletter from Dr. Paul Dobransky.

http://doctorpaul.net/

He utilizes the themes of the movie, "Love in the Time of Cholera" to illustrate many things that we are dealing with and discussing on this board.

http://jumpcut.com/view/?id=6F9F9C2C7D0911DC9F83000423CEF5B0

This article is so powerful, I had to share it with you.
So without further ado, Dr. Paul Dobransky:

LOVE IN THE TIME OF CHOLERA

If you have never read this beautiful novel by Nobel Prize Winner Gabriel Garcia Marquez, now is your chance to encounter the story anyway. It just now came out as a beautiful film for the first time. It takes place in early 1900s Latin America.
I think this story and film are landmark masterpieces for men to learn from.
There isn’t a man on earth who hasn’t been at some time in the predicament of the main character, Florentino, played by Javier Bardem.
His character begins in his teens, falling for the lovely Fermina. He is not merely charmed, but taken to ecstasy just by the sight of her. And soon, while never having even kissed, the flurry of letters they write to each other leads the young Florentino to the clumsy, ill-advised, but heart-felt urge to propose to her.
Not surprisingly, Florentino is a boy whose father has died young, and whose mother is a doting, nurturing woman who does her best to coach his efforts at romance.
Not only is he too young to have well-developed boundary skill, but he has not had the kind of solid initiation into manhood that the fathers of old could provide.
Later, when Fermina’s father absolutely forbids the beauty to marry a mere boy of low birth – a mere telegraph operator with seemingly no wealthy future ahead of him – he suffers in agony not just for months to come, but for fifty more YEARS.
He obsesses on Fermina his entire life for lack of a father – for lack of a true male initiation. And eventually, he discovers the pleasures of sex without the magic of “soulmate love.”
Florentino begins to tally his sexual exploits, keeping a journal about every woman he has bedded. Meanwhile Fermina has married into wealth. A famous doctor has taken her as his bride.
I think that those of you who have taken advantage of learning the KWML method of assessing people’s personalities may not be surprised to find out that Florentino is Lover personality, Fermina is a Warrior, and her doctor husband is ALSO a Warrior – but one with fantastic and mature sexual attraction abilities.
So you can see this is a story that is not only dramatically beautiful, but scientifically so as well.
I’ll tell you what. It is so beautiful that even as a manly man, you will probably cry.
This piece is so full of lessons for an ENTIRE man’s life that it is astounding. It doesn’t matter if you are early in your development and just now learning how to date, or if you are getting over heartbreak, or are actually quite talented at attracting women, Love in the Time of Cholera has something that will affect you deeply.
This young guy Florentino has something unnerving yet endearing about him. He is so very obsessive, so enraptured with the idea of love as opposed to mature masculine connections to women. His attempts at wooing the girl armed with only a violin and his exposed heart just reminds me of so many guys (including my former self) who approach women with a great deal of talent, authenticity, and emotion to offer, but go so far in exposing the “heart on the sleeve” that it sabotages the very earnest efforts at connecting.
Even may remind you of that famous scene from the film, Swingers, where Jon Favreau calls the beautiful woman ten times in a row until he has annoyed her so much she says to never call back.
After years of this and having moved on into a secure, stable, but passionless marriage Fermina even goes so far as to tell her female friends that the “poor Florentino” is “not a man, but a GHOST” – an empty shell.
Those of you who got the Omega on CD will immediately recognize this as missing reptilian-brained, masculine instinct. It is boy psychology at its tragic worst, and simultaneously touching and endearing and tragic.
There is something more going on though.
Yes, none of us wants to be in that awful situation of falling head over heels for a woman to such a degree that we surrender our every thought and feeling to the point of turning her off. Of course.
But in Fermina’s youth, even though she is rough and tough and annoyed by Florentino, there is something deeper going on than just a failed sexual attraction. Both of them recognize the soulmate in the other – the KWML opposite personality polarity. He is a true Lover at his most immature but honest, and she is a true Warrior at her most impatient and harsh.
The only thing keeping them apart (which does so for over fifty years) is the lack of maturity of character to hold one’s cards a bit closer to the vest, and to work patiently on one’s masculinity to see a growing character lead to rewards and wealth in the man’s career.
And that does indeed happen though Fermina moves on to the doctor. Florentino has such a writing gift that he makes a career out of it, eventually, by the ripe age of ninety, succeeding in becoming a fairly wealthy president of a company. While the doctor had always been handed good fortune on a silver platter, Florentino, in a painful life without his soulmate, had still managed to reap the rewards of growing up eventually.
And he as been very busy. By ninety, Florentino has managed to sleep with over 630 women, documenting each romantic encounter. He says to himself that it makes the pain of his lost love a little bit less. And this is a lesson for the men in the community about what happens when you are into personal growth ONLY for the purpose of sleeping around and bedding many women. This is not the final state of being a man – an “Omega” – someone who can attract many women but can be selective enough to find just ONE who is right and perfect for him. No, Florentino has discovered how to build both his character through business, and his masculinity and sexual attraction through all his encounters…
…finally to arrive at a place as a man where he, at the age of ninety, is completely developed enough to be a mature fit for the quality Fermina has reached as a woman on her own path in life.
On her end, Fermina also learns a painful lesson – that just because the feminine instinct drives women to seek security and resources from men – that does not guarantee real love, or even sexual attraction that lasts. She has lived a kind of stable, but painful marriage of convenience, absent of her real match.
Star crossed lovers not unlike Romeo and Juliet, only in this story, we end not in bitter death and suicide, but in a happy death of a life’s purpose finally realized in a true soulmate.
Throughout the tale, their star-crossed love is contrasted by the death ravaged on the people by the disease, Cholera.
One of the most profound bits of drama occurs when Florentino discovers that on his father’s death bed, he states that his only regret in life was not finding a true love. And while many a man might laugh at such a statement, put it down as wussy or overromantic, or silly – there can be no greater truth than that.
Don’t be that guy.
Our instinct to seek women, and the right woman, and our instinct to stave off death both come from the same place – the reptilian brain. Yet too few men ever get the chance to beat the fear of death (in what used to be male initiation) and thereby fear nothing else in life again.

When you do this, you become truly free to love in a mature masculine way.

You won’t sacrifice your life’s mission just to cling to a woman who will leave you anyway.
You won’t live in pain all your life, hungering for a woman who is never coming back.
You won’t find yourself one day on your death bed BOTH fearing death itself, AND fearing a life truly unlived, truly without real love.

You’ll be a real man.

Nighthawk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I tried to read 100 Years Of Solitude but I got bored halfway.

BlackWidow

Don Juan
Reaction score
worst novel ever.

I hated this book. I wanted to shove that fiddle straight up that 'star-crossed' lover's a$$. I think this book says nothing of what being a real man really is, because even after he slept with all those women, he STILL pined for the 'soulmate'.

BARF.

I'm sure this book is one of Oprah's Vagina Club's picks....

Latinoman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This place is not the correct place to debate or talk about Literature as it will openly expose ignorance.

The book is actually a master piece. Also, you have to understand the times where the story took place, the location, the culture, the civil war issue, the sickness, the issue of death and age, and for that matter the issue of love/fidelity/loyalty/cheating to truly understand the book. But as importantly…you must understand the author and his background. The novel is about love, time, illness, aging, social class, and death…plain and simple. And in the book, there is no one definition of love but instead many kinds, all complicated, all unpredictable.

Gabriel Garcia Marquez (a Nobel Prize winner in Literature) is one of the best writers of the 20th Century...that goes without saying.

I do agree about one thing...whoever noticed the fact that one of the main characters in Love in the Time of Cholera came from a single-mother's home...that person made a great observation.

Note to BlackWidow: Oprah will NEVER pick a book about a man that although in "love" with the same woman for 50+ years...managed to sleep with over 600 women in his life and managed to go from a lowly telegraph boy into a powerful owner of ships. Or a book about another main character that cheated on his wife.