Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

lots of protein, kidneys hurt

Matlm

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi, I recently started taking 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight. My kidneys are hurting. I am pretty sure it is pyschosomatic. What are some things I could do to aleviate the pain.

Abnigh9

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
How much do you weigh?

Anyway, I believe protein has nothing to do with it, can you tell us your diet? It could be MANY reason.

You know don't assume it is the protein.

How long have this pain gone?
Have you been consuming this much protein consistently? (taking 100 today and 80 the next day don't count!!)

It'll go away. If it is, I hear rumor say it could be kidney stone.

Matlm

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I am at 160, and have been taking roughly 140 grams of protein consisently for about a week. My kidneys started hurting on the second day.

I don't have to be at school until late, so I just have a protein shake for breakfast (20 grams of protein.)

About two hours later I go out to lunch and have some steak. (60 grams of protein)

When I come home I have another protein shake.

For dinner I have some chicken (40 grams).

Like i said before, I think its psychosomatic.

livin large

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You're not drinking enough water. It's not the protein. Drink 3/4 gallon to 1 gallon per day (I'm assuming you're not on creatine). Drink more than 1 gallon per day if you're on creatine.

Go to the Doctor if it's bad.

Abnigh9

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by livin large
You're not drinking enough water. It's not the protein. Drink 3/4 gallon to 1 gallon per day (I'm assuming you're not on creatine). Drink more than 1 gallon per day if you're on creatine.

Go to the Doctor if it's bad.
Excellent! He's right, protein needs water to be digest. No water=no protein being digest=waste of protein.

Nightwing

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
No your problem is not psychosomatic, actually it's very real and can possibly not only lead to your kidneys, but also to your liver as well.

When protien gets metabolized, it gets broken down into toxic byproducts--one of them being amonia. This, in turn, causes both your liver and kidneys to work overtime to eliminate all that crap out of your body. Ulitmately, your liver and kidneys are going to fail due to the stress that you placed upon it.

Some people on the Atkins diet have also experinced similar problems as well making complaints that thier kidneys hurt after being on a high protien diet.

I think that the amount of protien is just too much for you. And remember that toomuch protien in your diet can lead to liver and kidney damage.

Revlis

Don Juan
Reaction score
How do you know your kidneys are hurting? I wouldn't be able to tell myself.

Anyway 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight isn't very high at all. I take 2 grams of protein per lb of body weight everyday and I've done that for the majority of a year and had no pain. Still that doesn't mean it's not affecting you.

I do think more water is needed and drink it whenever you can. If it still hurts after a few days of drinking a lot more water then cut back by 20 or so grams and see if that helps.

I've in the past have consumed up to 400 grams in one day and felt fine BUT I always had about a BIG glass full of water by my side.