Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Lost audio on laptop, how can I restore it?

ryan killa

Don Juan
Reaction score
So like a moron I went into control panel and accidentally deleted my realtek audio software... I went to their site, but I don't think they have a software download or anything, just the drivers.

I was talking with someone knowledgable(at a chatroom), a while ago, and he said that I had to, I think, restart the computer such that all my programs and everything would be wiped out, so I did not do this.

I am now prepared to do this, if someone can show me the way, assuming it works? I have no idea how to go about doing this.

Anyone got a solution?

Thanks,

Ryan

Jimbo2k

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
but I don't think they have a software download or anything, just the drivers.
You dont really need audio software, you only need drivers. Download the drivers that match what you have and it should be fine. If not.......

I was talking with someone knowledgable(at a chatroom), a while ago, and he said that I had to, I think, restart the computer such that all my programs and everything would be wiped out, so I did not do this.

I am now prepared to do this, if someone can show me the way, assuming it works? I have no idea how to go about doing this.
This is called Formatting and reinstalling your operating system (assuming its Windows?)

- Back up all files you wish to save as everything will be wiped out.
- Insert Windows CD
- Restart computer
- When prompt comes up saying to: "Press any key to start Windows set up" , press any key.
- If that prompt does not come up and windows starts to load up again, you need to change a setting in "BIOS" which is your computers built in software that manages hardware and such.
- To make the change go here for more info: http://www-mdp.eng.cam.ac.uk/CD/bios.html
- Set the boot device to your CD rom, which will check the CD rom for any "bootable software" - such as your Windows CD.

- Once your in Windows setup, heres the rest of the instructions:
http://helpdesk.its.uiowa.edu/windows/instructions/reformat.htm
(You probably want to print out those instructions, I dont recommend printing out the images though, that would be a waste).

ryan killa

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey, thanks for helping me.

I downloade the driver(s) for my laptop, and now they are in a file, with like a million(ok, 29) different individual files. I tried using the audio after downloading the driver(s) and it still won't work, so I imagine you have to do something with the files in this folder(I'm clueless with this stuff).

Here are the names of the individual files...the first 5 are folders actually...:

(F)Ap alcrmv
(F)config alcrmv64
(F)WDM alcrmv9x
(F)Win95 alcupd
(F)WinNT94
alcchkid

Anyways, there are a few others like this and some have 'setup' in their title.

When I click on the above files, I get the message : This application may depend upon other files in this folder. For the application to run properly, it is recommended that you first extract all the files from this folder.'

No clue if this helps, just giving all the information I can offer... no clue where to go from here.

Ryan

'

Jimbo2k

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Ok,

First of all, if they are compressed (using WinRar, or WinZip, or Windows Compressed) then you will have to extract them. Depending on which program you have to handle compressed files, this is done in different ways. Look around for a button "Extract to..." then choose a spot on your drive.

Next, you will need to run the setup file. This may be in the main folder, if so, just double click it and it will install. If not, post the link where you found the drivers and I'll advise you what to do from there.

Call_Me_Daddy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Find yourself a tech forum.

Either that or reinstall the system. And make sure that you download ALL the drivers (videocard, audiocard, LAN, etc...) before you reinstall and burn them to a CD so you'll have them handy next time you do something stupid.

ryan killa

Don Juan
Reaction score
Wow. It actually worked Jimbo. Thanks so much. The key was the setup file. How the hell did you know that!? Ok, setup as the title is obvious, but I'm impressed.

Thanks again both of you,

Ryan

Jimbo2k

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
ryan killa said:
Wow. It actually worked Jimbo. Thanks so much. The key was the setup file. How the hell did you know that!? Ok, setup as the title is obvious, but I'm impressed.
No prob. I actually started up a little business going to peoples houses and doing format/resinstalls, virus/spyware removal, fixing general problems and helping them with software. This kind of stuff I'm always glad to help not just for you, but to teach myself.