Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Loss for Lust towards Spouse

Kailex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have a question here for all of the men who have been married and have had children... I know it's a specific niche here in SoSuave, but I've been interested in something that came up through a conversation over the weekend.

Basically, the conversation boiled down to the differences of why a man or a woman would lose their appetite for sex over the course of the marriage.

For women it seems to stem from everything to having their needs for security realized to having the knowledge of a provider present to just maternal instinct overruling spousal "love".

For men, it seems to boil down to losing attraction towards a woman who is no longer as fit as she used to be.

I know women sometimes go through changes in marriage (cutting their hair shorter, gaining a few extra pounds, etc...), but I wondered if this was ever child-birth related. Does this help contribute to the fact that men start looking elsewhere once their women hit their 40's?

Or am I just going off the opinions of two jaded men?
Do men really ever feel a loss for a sexual desire aimed specifically at their spouse simply because of the physical changes she undergoes as the marriage progresses?

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've read that men experience a drop in testosterone once they have settled down with their married partners. This supposedly helps keep them from straying, as men have a natural drive to seek sex with many women. This makes them more likely to stay with the woman and help raise the kids.

I've also heard that men will desire a woman for a certain number of years, long enough to raise the children to viability (mission accomplished), and then will lose interest in her and develop the wanderlust again.

Not sure if either of the above is true, but it makes a certain amount of sense.

Rollo Tomassi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Heheh,..I knocked it out with my wife of 14 years last night and it was great.

I realize my marriage is an exception to the rule, but what your friends are relating is true. I've yet to meet the married man who told me he's getting more intense, more frequent sex after marriage than when he was single (myself included).

The problem boils down to this; people subscribe to popularized myths about how life after marriage "usually plays out." What I mean is that there are a whole slew of social conventions and myths fueled by pop culture media that feed into all these rationalizations and excuses for getting comfortable, losing your edge, letting yourself go, etc.

For example, women, especially ones who struggled with maintaining their body image while single, are only too happy to buy into the socially reinforced notion that a woman is going to unavoidably "put on a few pounds" (more like 30 - 40lbs) after marriage, and her "body will never be the same after childbirth - evil 'shallow' men just don't understand." And men of course are encouraged to accept this at the risk of being shamed by the same social convention. The expectation then becomes one where she's predisposed to accepting herself becoming fat.

Men have their own set of post-marriage social conventions as well. He's supposed to be improving his lot in life and becoming a better able provider, irrespective of career or personal choices, or circumstances beyond his control. If he was an AFC prior to marriage, the associated ideologies and behaviors then carry over into his own self-expectations and his readiness to compromise and excuse his wife's rationalizations - though privately he'll grind his teeth about it. He is stuck with the the knowledge that, barring infidelity and shame, his wife is the sole arbiter of his sexuality and he's forced to play by her rules of rationing sex for him.

Now add to all this that familiarity is anti-seductive. Most married men will never be in a position to restoke the competition anxiety and excitement that made them attractive to their wives while single. The average married man is often too busy or too deeply invested psychologically in his own social conventions to ever challenge himself in questioning how he came to be in the position he is, much less attempt to come up with ways to prompt his wife sexually that might rock the comfort boat and have her withhold sex even more. Married guys wont risk shaking up their wives by experimenting with ways they think would upset the mediocre flow of sex they do happen to get.

At this point in my life I'm in a very unique position for a married man of 42. I work in an industry (liquor) where I'm around beautiful younger women on a weekly basis. I'm in peak physical condition, and my job is such that I have demonstrably high status. My wife knows I have game and I use it, on her and at work - even with our daughter when appropriate. She's always known I have an impossibly high physical standard for women, and I've had "a lot of girlfriends" in my past. I travel frequently and have any number of opportunities to hook up if I chose. The competition anxiety is ever present.

To the average married woman (and far too many feminized husbands) all of this may sound like a recipe for insecurity and neurosis for my wife - nothing could be further from the truth. Women don't want a man to cheat, but they love a man who could cheat. That's the DHV element that is severely lacking in most marriages. What's ironic is that most men wouldn't need to turn into James Bond to achieve setting DHV (demonstrating higher value) with their wives. Women are very perceptive of subtle changes, and often this is enough to trigger a husband's (and DJ's) most valuable tool - her imagination. Just getting in shape or prioritizing yourself before her are enough to get the hamster wheel spinning in her head. Humans are creatures of habit with an insatiable need to see familiarity in other people's actions. Your predictability gives her a sense of control.

After 15 years, I still want to bang my wife, and as often as opportunity (not convenience) permits. How many husbands can say that? We don't have sex as often as we did when single, or as often as I'd like ideally, but I still do enjoy Mrs. Tomassi's body when we do. It is entirely possible to achieve this, but the seeds for it are sown BEFORE you get married. If you enter marriage as an AFC or with her controlling the frame you'll spend a good portion of your marriage fighting to re-establish that frame; and that's assuming a guy can unplug and come to terms with his own AFCness.

davewe

Don Juan
Reaction score
I had, what I found out later, was a pretty common middle-aged scenario. The last couple years of my 13 year marriage, sex was down to nearly nothing and frankly neither of us seemed to care. I was past 50 and I rationalized by thinking, 'Well they say the libido goes down at my age, so I guess this is it. It's not so bad, I guess.'

We eventually decided to divorce because of all our issues (the sexual issue not one of them, I thought), and I bought a house. The day I moved into my new home, set up my furniture and put together my bed, I collapsed from exhaustion. But I couldn't sleep. What the hell was this? My libido was back and back big time. It's been 4 years, and my libido is comparable to my pre-married 30s. And while I don't have sex as often as my body tells me it wants, I certainly have it lots more often than I did when married.

I told this story to a person wiser than I am and he said that often a couple having problems will "telepathically" communicate their desires (or lack of) which is why my ex and I seemed to be on the same page as far as our sexual desire.

Nutz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It helps to understand what drives that animal lust in human beings. Men are attracted instinctively to the hallmarks of fertility and good health. My guess is she's getting older, put on some weight, and isn't someone you'd lust after if she was a stranger walking down the street. That is the magic bullet of maintaining long-term attraction.

For men to remain attractive to their wives it's a whole other ballgame, but maintaining your level of fitness does indeed play a part of it.

sodbuster

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
When you are running all over town for the kids first, then doing all the stuff it takes to run a household[as in house and lawn for the kids]. You have less energy than you did single living in a 1 bedroom efficiency apartment. When you are dead tired now do you feel like getting some? or getting some sleep?

BUT the other factor is-she's the cause of much of your stress[shopping for furniture,clothes,remodeling the house,planting the garden etc],so if you resent any of it--- your desire to tap it goes down. And she WILL cause you stress-just by being a woman.

5string

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
davewe said:
I had, what I found out later, was a pretty common middle-aged scenario. The last couple years of my 13 year marriage, sex was down to nearly nothing and frankly neither of us seemed to care. I was past 50 and I rationalized by thinking, 'Well they say the libido goes down at my age, so I guess this is it. It's not so bad, I guess.'

We eventually decided to divorce because of all our issues (the sexual issue not one of them, I thought), and I bought a house. The day I moved into my new home, set up my furniture and put together my bed, I collapsed from exhaustion. But I couldn't sleep. What the hell was this? My libido was back and back big time. It's been 4 years, and my libido is comparable to my pre-married 30s. And while I don't have sex as often as my body tells me it wants, I certainly have it lots more often than I did when married.

I told this story to a person wiser than I am and he said that often a couple having problems will "telepathically" communicate their desires (or lack of) which is why my ex and I seemed to be on the same page as far as our sexual desire.
Oh boy. Same thing with my first marriage. I could have cared less about gettin some the last few years. Just did not matter. The attraction was gone.

I think I would have rather had a root canal than tap my first wife at the end.

Of course everything changed when she went through menopause in her mid forties. It was like Dr.Jekyl and Mr.Hyde. :crazy:

Now well into my second marriage, the desire is back more than ever. :D

Excuse me now, gonna be going home from work. My wife is usually in the kitchen when I get there. You won't need a field report. Consider it in the bag. :up:

Zarky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think it's simply because men get sick of banging the same body every night. Men didn't evolve from men who only banged one chick. The drive to inseminate as many women as possible is very high, I think the brain naturally looks at a well-used female and goes, "Ok, you've banged her enough, time to find something fresh."

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
When you are running all over town for the kids first, then doing all the stuff it takes to run a household[as in house and lawn for the kids]. You have less energy than you did single living in a 1 bedroom efficiency apartment. When you are dead tired now do you feel like getting some? or getting some sleep?
I think you've given us the answer, Sodbuster. We should all move back into one bedroom efficiency apartments!
:)

sodbuster

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well it was much easier to vacuum and dust 2 rooms instead of 10. The 4 hours I spent outside doiing yardwork today? could have read,lifted, cleaned the apartment and still had time left over. NOW, I still have a house to clean{watching Nebraska football now}

Only have the kids half time,but I still need a full time house for them.

djroc

Reaction score
Even if a woman goes through changes (gains weight) and you still love her body and want to enjoy it she'll still hate herself for going from a hot body to a lumpy ass and belly that jiggles. And if you take yourself from being a guy with a large beer gut to being in shape she'll hate you for that.

Visit a doc and pay the $20 copay to get a vasectomy, its worth it to never have to worry about kids if you dont have them already! lol

Greasy Pig

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Women don't want a man to cheat, but they love a man who could cheat.
This is so true! I haven't realised it until just now but I'm thinking of this mate of mine who is in exactly that kind of relationship. A woman is far more likely to have sex, cook nice meals, keep fit and generally be the perfect partner if she fears her man will stray.
If she knows she's got him in the bag, she knows she doesn't need to bother about any of that stuff. Wow.

I think it's simply because men get sick of banging the same body every night.
My best mate has been in an LTR for over a year and says: "I like her a lot, she is fantastic, but I just get sick of pounding the same vagina every day."

Zarky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Greasy Pig said:
My best mate has been in an LTR for over a year and says: "I like her a lot, she is fantastic, but I just get sick of pounding the same vagina every day."
Hope he's seeing other women too...

omkara

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Greasy Pig said:
Why does he have sex every day then? The problem with sex is that it's a limited source of enjoyment and it's temporary. Those who who rely too much on sex for happiness are unbalanced and should seek higher sources of fulfillment.

thegator39

Don Juan
Reaction score
Are romantic love and sex two separate things altogether?

I’m wondering from the more experienced guys (dating/LTRs as well as hook-ups) if there’s less lust in an LTR and more of a natural high kind of feeling. I really liked my ex (we didn’t sleep together but we fooled around and did “everything else”) but I never once fantasized about her or have fantasized about her sexually. When we were in bed fooling around once, I wasn’t sexually turned on by her…it was more of “Wow I’m fooling around with a girl I like”…more of an emotional thing.

I have sexual dreams 3 or 4 times a week and she’s never once popped in them. But when I’m in public, and see a girl with her hair length/color/fashion style and so on, I have flashbacks and see her face clear as day in my mind and get all those fuzzy feelings, and I’m not even a romantic guy. I think about the way she tilted her head when she was thinking or making a decision. I think about her eyes. Yada yada yada. Yet I don’t even regret not having sex with her.

Meanwhile there are lesser looking women, with perhaps bodies that appeal to me more, but a face nowhere as good, and I get off to them. I was talking to a girl on okcupid, and immediately dropped to one to her pictures, which usually never happens and she’s nowhere as pretty as my ex. We might be hanging out, and the anticipation of the possibility of being with this woman is also a great feeling but a completely separate one…almost one of adventure.

I’m wondering if romantic love, from the experienced man’s point of view, can have that adventurous lust, or if they’re two separate things altogether?

Scaramouche

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Dear Gator,
The love-lust question is one that has exercised my mind too....first lets accept that there is a dichotomy,women can certainly love without sex...As for us,I think it depends on the Man,or rather on his sexuality....In general the higher the sexuality the more Lust and Love become a continuum...A Lady gives me good svx and I love her for at least 3 hours driving home,if she is staying over,and comes across in the Morning as well,I probably love her for 18 hours,but generally it's just lust....Several Mates of mine have been unlucky enough to contract Prostate Cancer....Their Bvalls are burned out and they can't do it at all....Paradoxically the attachment between the couples thus challanged seems stronger...Some Men even quite young,form Platonic relations very easily,such Men generally have a low Svx drive...I think most DJ's look at every Woman as a potential Fvck....Or do they.