Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Looking for books on filing and archiving systems

Credos

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I strongly believe that good business can only be done with the proper administration and good filing/archiving systems, that being said, I can't really find the right books on the topics... Been trying to get more into this, anybody who knows some good books on this topic?

Thanks in advance!

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Don't know the type of environment you're in or the types of document you need to file, their lifecycle and any necessary security measures so I'd suggest that you search Amazon for books on Document Management.

Credos

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi Francisco d'Anconia,

Thanks for the reply, by now I kinda lost hope on this post so it's a nice surprise. I'm in the Marine Industries, specifically technical department - maintenance, so I have a lot of topics to cover. (hydraulics, pneumatics, engines, steelworks, piping, etc...). This combined with my own business so I gotta cover finance and all the rest too, which means I have internal documents to cover and external documents. I really wanna eliminate redudancy and that can only be prevented through good planning and a proper set of houserules.

That's why I wanted to get more into the topic, I found already one book when searching on your topic on amazon, which is "Engineering Documentation Control Handbook", I think that might already be a bit of a step in the right direction (this is mainly focused on design, but might work well for maintenance as well?)...

We'll see how it works out :)

synergy1

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I work in a similar field as you and I can tell you that there isn't one and there needs to be. Its actually been a business idea of mine until I realize the headache that would be involved in trying to get it into the right hands.

Are we talking paper or electronic...or both? If you want, PM me.

ThatGuyTR

Don Juan
Reaction score
I work in IT Service Management and have ran a business on the side.

I would make the documents electronic and file the hard copies in a filing cabinet. Therefore if you need to look up a policy or procedure while in the field or in a meeting, you can do so without flipping through books.

My suggestion would be to find a system that tracks when updates are made to the document and who makes them for accountability.

If you are limited on funds, using a Content Management System like Drupal or Wordpress could be used in this manner. Some companies, mine inlcuded, use software called Documentum for this, which is not cheap.

Credos

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
synergy1 said:
I work in a similar field as you and I can tell you that there isn't one and there needs to be. Its actually been a business idea of mine until I realize the headache that would be involved in trying to get it into the right hands.

Are we talking paper or electronic...or both? If you want, PM me.
Hey guys,

Thanks again for the replies! As for this question, I'm thinking mainly about electronic.

I'm thinking of a waterfall system.
Like:
Your topic is it:
  • a power producer? No -> one lower
  • a power transformer? Yes ->
  • - is it mechanical to hydraulic? No ->
  • - is it hydraulic to mechnical? No ->
  • - Is is electrical to mechanical? Yes ->
  • * Electro motor:​
enter maker and maker reference.
if unknown: ->
add specs.
Now add report/remark/question/rootcause analysis

Save in database. Give the item ID per maker + maker reference. I'm collecting data of a fleet about all items, same items share same problems which should be shared. So archiving properly and linking proper metadata is ESSENTIAL.

The system needs to be made monkey proof, because on some vessels they use another system... They all need to be linkable to one general system, whilst being able to keep the old system as well, this to prevent people from having to learn something new, cause people are lazy...