Look down on UFC?

Belmar2009

Don Juan
Reaction score
Anybody else see UFC as a bunch of blood-thirsty, over zealous, pugnacious, ANGRY dudes?

And don't give me "they are just competitive" crap, these dudes have ANGER MANAGEMENT ISSUES!

How can one go into a ring and want to instill pain on a fellow human being like a rabid dog!

UFC fighters are animals!

Wiesman44

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I know where you're coming from, and I agree. But, it sure is fun to watch !

Damaniac

Reaction score
It is not that big of a deal imo. The guy that gets beaten like a "rabid dog" came into the fight knowing very well what could happen.

Rookie_son

Don Juan
Reaction score
i dont watch it but I dont believe there's anything wrong with it. It's a fight, thats what happens. Both competitors know what their in for and have PREPARED for it, its what they do its how they make a living... its been around for milleniums.

Strelok

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There are men that simply find most of the sports boring,many man needs challenges and they are ready to fight beyond their human limits while other men are just tired of common tv and want to see those men fight.

It's probably one of the few real sports there,im tired to see football players kicking an punching their adversaries while the referee is looking somewhere else or people pretending to be taken down to obtain a penality kick,in the ufc you know what you look and you know what they are going to do without drama or faking anything.

Inquisitus

Don Juan
Reaction score
Belmar2009 said:
Anybody else see UFC as a bunch of blood-thirsty, over zealous, pugnacious, ANGRY dudes?

And don't give me "they are just competitive" crap, these dudes have ANGER MANAGEMENT ISSUES!

How can one go into a ring and want to instill pain on a fellow human being like a rabid dog!

UFC fighters are animals!
Considering the vast majority of MMA athletes focus their violence inside the ring as opposed to in public, don't see where your comment about anger management issues come up.

Maxtro

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Belmar2009 said:
Men have been doing that for thousands of years. The Roman Colosseum wasn't exactly built to watch operas.

At least we have banned purposely killing each other for sport.

Despite our civilization and advancement, man is a violent species.

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Would you say the same about boxing?

And while there certainly are douchebags in MMA(as is true with any sport), there are some pretty cool guys like Fedor, Anderson Silva, Couture, GSP and others.

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
As Maxtro said our species still hasn't evolved beyond an intrinsic affinity for violence. This is evidenced by the world spending trillions of dollars on more efficient ways of killing ourselves, while there are numerous other, more pressing problems are staring us in the face. The popularity of contact/collision sports like MMA and football is simply a reflection of what our society values.

Most UFC fighters are not douche bags... think about how often you hear about UFC fighers getting into DUIs, gun charges, domestic violence, etc compared to NFL guys. I'm both a huge NFL and MMA fan, so I'm not pitting one against the other, simply stating a fact. Fighters are pro athletes, which means they have to train day in and day out to achieve victories and maintain winning records. Mentally unstable individuals would probably lack the discipline and mental strength to follow through on a pre-fight training camp.

There are many well known UFC fighters like Shane Carwin who are quite well educated. Guys like GSP are extremely marketable because they are "nice guys"... until you're in the ring w/ them. In many ways I think the UFC does a great job of marketing "****y bad boys" against your classic "good guy" (think Dan Hardy vs. GSP). You gotta respect Dana White and the UFC for their superb marketing skills, as the interest in MMA and UFC has grown very quickly over the last decade.

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Agree with Fuggs.

It does take certain personality traits to dedicate yourself to fighting. I am a huge MMA fan, but I have no interest in getting my face beat in for a living, lol.

Marketing plays a huge role in how the public perceives these guys. When you watch the pre-fight smack talk on TV, what you are seeing is edited and 'coaxed'; as in they sort of bait some of these guys to talk a little trash. It promotes fights and gets the fan interested. Furthermore, fighting is their JOB, their livelihood. Pro fighters aren't out breaking skulls in bars, they have legal contracts and most of them take their jobs seriously. They are paid to fight in the ring and not be sadistic meatheads in their personal lives.

As far as the brutal violence goes, dude, this isn't unique to MMA. You dont think two 300-pound men colliding head-on at full speed is brutal??? That's the NFL and pro football careers are very short. It's what the public wants to see. Every athlete assumes all risks when the take up the sport.

Inquisitus

Don Juan
Reaction score
It seems to me that many people just do not understand what it takes to become a high level athlete in any sport nor basing your livelihood on that sport.

Make no mistake, competitive (as seen in competition) MMA artists are athletes. Also, as athlete trying to make a living off fighting, it's no different than you or I making sure we don't screw up at work.

Suffering a broken hand after smashing a guy's face puts you out of a fight for at least a couple of months.

Julius_Seizeher

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I just think it's a dubious ambition for too many people.

Start a business, or create something otherwise.

wait_out

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's impossible not to respect the dedication and discipline that go into making a good athlete, be it MMA, boxing, etc.

At the same time when you see pro hockey players paralyzed as a result of throwaway cheap shots, or X-games/mountaineer types dead as a result of the inherent risk, it kind of detracts away from the achievement. These are narcissistic pursuits, not socially productive ones -- yeah everybody loves you, but do you really want to die for their entertainment?

For people who can conceptualize this, it's hard to not see all the public glory as a bit shallow. IE 'Where Men win Glory' by Jon Krakauer

Guoy Darko

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Maxtro said:
Men have been doing that for thousands of years. The Roman Colosseum wasn't exactly built to watch operas.
That wasn't a voluntary sport, so it's no argument.

Outsider

Don Juan
Reaction score
You either get MMA or you don't. Since I'm not looking to convert anyone to being an MMA fan all I have to say is yes, when they step into the ring they are animals. They become vicious beasts of prey. And you know what, there's nothing wrong with that.

I'd rather see two healthy souls beat the **** out of each other than watch two weak souls play nice with each other.

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There's no bigger Don Juan than a UFC Champion. Just saying.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Belmar2009 said:

I am only a low-level amateur fighter and won't ever be in the UFC, but fwiw myself and the guys I train with don't go out there with the foremost goal of hurting our opponents. Mostly, I just want to control the other guy so that he does not get a chance to hurt me.

MMA is the closest sport we have to a real fight, but it is very far from a real fight. In one of those, the other guy pokes you in the eyes, kicks you in the nuts, and body slams you on the pavement. And that is if you are lucky enough to just fight one guy at a time and he does not have a weapon. Real fighting, as in the type that soldiers do on battlefields, is much uglier than the sport of mma.

And as with any sport, everyone wants to know who is the best. I don't think anyone on the planet can stand and trade punches with Anderson Silva, but I am still going to pay to see GSP get his chance.

S.Y.L

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Your un educated then. They train for years and years, and many of them have college degrees.

Rookie_son

Don Juan
Reaction score
Guoy Darko said:
That wasn't a voluntary sport, so it's no argument.
wrong. it is, do some research. Plenty of fighters entered the gladiator combats as free men. What the real myth is the supposed amount of people who died fighting in it.