Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Live-in GF watches too much television

AmIAFC

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I need some serious help with this because I'm on the verge of full blown hysteria.

My girlfriend of 2 years moved in with me recently and has always been memorized by my big-screen television set, always mentioning that it dwarfs the one that she owns. Off the bat, she tells me she only watches two shows - both of them crap - and I gave her those timeslots to watch them while I got other things done.

Months go by and she's developed an interest in other equally dubious programs. Two shows become four, four turned to six, and right now it's at seven. It's come to the point where I cannot avoid her programs and my small apartment is constantly bombarded with noises of CLUCKCLUCKCLUCK from weave wearing golddiggers.

I had spoken to her about it and she assured me that most of the shows were breaking for the season. The off-season lasted 2 weeks, because now she has other programs of interest to replace them. How many housewives and R&B golddiggers with problems are there in this world exactly?

I said enough was enough. I told her she could either buy a television set for herself and watch her shows in the bedroom, or she can watch them on her iPAD. She grudgingly complied and cut down her TV viewing.

Thing is, the shows are like crack to her, it's only a matter of time before it all comes full circle, so I have a decision to make:

1.) I can drop her, get some peace and quiet in my life again.
2.) Block all of her favorite stations, including VH1, BET, MTV, and Bravo.
3.) Get a second, smaller TV for her to watch her shows. I'd feel sort of bad isolating her in the bedroom and I'm concerned it would only exasperate the issue since she'd then be unrestrained.

Can I get some help?

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
the thing is, you shouldn't HAVE to do any of that.

I don't want to talk bad about your girl I really don't but that's low quality women behavior. it's textbook low quality women behavior.

It's not about her TV shows getting in the way with your TV shows it's that she finds watching that much TV acceptable in the first place, crap TV shows. it tells you her menality.

You should just leave. That's what I would. She will say "i can't believe you are breaking up with me beucase of a TV" she will say that verbatim but it's not about the TV.

one of the best pieces of advice i ever got off this site was that when you are screening a woman, make sure she has UNIQUE and NON MAINSTREAM HOBBIES

in other words, taking pictures, unless she's like hardcore into it seriously where she has the right equipment and everything is not a unique hobby.

I'd be more interested in dating a girl who said her hobbies are riding motorcycles and camping than I would be dating a girl whose hobbies are "cooking" cooking is a generic hobby that really isn't a hobby.

My wife generally, for the most part.. really doesn't watch TV. she'll watch whatever I'm watching or if friends are over they will cut the TV on but she doesn't watch TV just for the sake of watching TV. But there have been a few times where she'd just get in a mode where she won't leave the TV. Actually her big thing is netflix she will get on a TV show and just wear it the **** out lol.

This is what I do; I don't argue with her I just go do something. If she wants to sit at home and watch TV all day I'm not going to sit around with my lip stuck out I'm going to go out and do some ****.

See what most women want is for you to watch TV with them they want you to approve of their TV watching. I don't even acknowledge it i just leave or I go to the track or at worst go into my little work room and work or watch horse racing and don't come out. Eventually she gets the point. Even though I work a lot I'm usually pretty affectionate with her and I like to kiss and rub on her a lot and she likes that and when after a while I'm not doing that she gets the point / picture

anyway, this is not a good sign for you. that's the big point

AmIAFC

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Well, it's not that black and white. And before you refer to my user name and call me something in response, let me explain:

She does like to do other things. She likes to go out and enjoy life, specifically on the weekends. She enjoys walks, riding her bicycle, she enjoys being around other friends. I didn't get myself involved with a one-dimensional TV zombie, and I'm sorry if I made her out to be that.

It's on the weeknights that I'm growing increasingly concerned about. These shows are never ending, and the ones that are not available live she catches ON DEMAND. I don't know the name of that gay ass**** host from Bravo who wears the suit and is always hosting other ass**** celebs, but he's become like a brother to me -- I see him all the time.

Dumping her is a last resort, until after I've exhausted other options. I don't know what those options are, exactly, which is why I've presented my dilemma to the rest of you in the hope of finding some before resorting to the axe.

B

BeDJ

This is the first sign your relationship is waning. She is too comfortable with the relationship and feels she doesn't need to try anymore. She no longer fears losing you, this must be dealt with.

1) Get out of the house on weeknights, be vague on what you are doing.
2) Join a dance group like Salsa.
3) Hang out with female friends

You want to covertly express that you don't like what she is doing. By building on your social circle and meeting women, she will take the hint. You need to let her know if she doesn't shape up, your female friends may be something more. Soft actions are more powerful than loud words.

Read this.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
TV is escapism. You might ask yourself if she has issues in her life that she is trying to avoid confronting through overuse of TV. You could ask her directly, but she probably wouldn't be able to give you an answer.

JulieWatson31

Don Juan
Reaction score
Treat her like a child. Buy her some headphones so u do not have to tolerate this BS.

Also ration her viewing days and times.

LMFAO

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Go out and keep going out whilst she's watching TV all day and see what happens and if she changes her ways. If that doesn't work tell her she's turning into part of the sofa and that when you met her she was never like this and that she needs a psychiatrist. Then when you argue and get more and more angry at each other have sex. Then kick her out of the house when you're done, you deserve better.

Die Hard

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You sound more like a father dealing with his teenage daughter, than a guy dealing with his live-in girlfriend. Not a good sign....

DJDamage

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Television is mostly crap, I stopped paying for cable a year ago and never looked back ( I do watch the occasional sport live streamed via the internet). Unhook your cable and toss your television aside and you will have more time and more money in your pocket to better your and her life.

Down Low

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's textbook low-quality-woman behavior. You should be the center of her world. She should be making you snacks, bringing you a beer, ironing your shirts, and doing her pregnancy exercises. I know it's tough to have screened out so many worthless h0s, and have given this one so much effort and invited her into your home and into your heart, but you gotta cut her loose.

That she seems so much better than the rest, doesn't make her high quality. Rather, it just shows how bad is the New Normal.

ThunderMaverick

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Jesus Christ, you guys. Slow down for a second. Everyone is quick to help cure a symptom they don't know the cause of. Let's ask some questions, so AmIAFC can get the best sound responses (although Backy B. had some great solutions, I think. Bible had some good points as well)

How old is she?
What does she do for a living?
Does she have any career goals?
Does she go to school?
Does she work all day and TV is a way for her to wind down after a stressful day?
What did she use to do before watching all of that TV?

Die Hard

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Jesus Christ, Thunder. You are being ignorant. All your questions are meant to analyze her character, but the very fact that she watches tv programs of this nature all day long, is all the info you need to judge her character. Wise up...

This girl is NOT relationship material and I'm sure there is a lot more wrong with this relationship than just the tv problem...

Bokanovsky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Easy solution: cancel you cable subscription. I've done this years ago. In this day and age, there is absolutely no reason why any normal person would want to watch television.

ThunderMaverick

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Die Hard said:
Jesus Christ, Thunder. You are being ignorant. All your questions are meant to analyze her character, but the very fact that she watches tv programs of this nature all day long, is all the info you need to judge her character. Wise up...

No, I just like to have all the information available before I pull the trigger. You use the word ignorant. I don't think you know what that word means.

Let's say she watches TV all day. Let's say the OP forgets to tell us that maybe she got sick or injured, a friend died, she works all day at a toll booth and is dead tired when she gets home, etc. THAT would be something that should be talked about, acted at overtly, etc.

Let's say she watches TV because the OP tells us she really doesn't have any hobbies, passions, goals, etc. I understand that would probably be grounds to dump her. I'm sure everyone will agree with that. We've had enough information to come to the conclusion that this woman needs to work on herself, and she's not fit to be in a relationship with the OP.

So far, we know very little about her. He's been with her for 2 years, so something has changed for a reason. It's important to find out WHAT and WHY. If he didn't want to be in the relationship he would have dumped her by now.

Remember, there are low quality women who like to go out and do sh!t all the time too. Knowing why a person does things is important. Why is that ignorant again?

This girl is NOT relationship material and I'm sure there is a lot more wrong with this relationship than just the tv problem..
So let's find out what the FU<K it is, shall we? I mean, after all he did sign up to this site and posted his story with the hope of getting some good advice.

Or, IamAFC, if you don't really give that much of a sh!t, just dump her. You'd be wasting your time finding out what the issue is.

Die Hard

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
She is not just watching tv all day long, she is watching a certain kind of program all day long. That's where your ignorance lies, in my humble opinion...

But it's more than that. Reading the OP, I'm picking up on several signs that this relationship is not healthy. Something is off here... And it's not caused by something SITUATIONAL, as if something caused her behavior to suddenly change. You seem to believe that her current behavior is caused by some kind of change in her situation, instead of her personality, am I correct?

ThunderMaverick

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Die Hard said:
She is not just watching tv all day long, she is watching a certain kind of program all day long. That's where your ignorance lies, in my humble opinion...
God, there you go using that word again.

Asking questions is the antithesis of ignorance. Please stop saying that.

You do make a good point about WHAT KIND of programming she watches though. It's important to ask why though. What would he be doing different? What does he think changed in the relationship? What qualities did she have to keep him in the relationship for 2 years? (barring sex, because you can get that from anywhere. Unless he thinks he can't do better) etc

I've actually watched 3 episodes of Black Ink back to back with my GF. It's an awful show, but how these nutcases act is fascinating.

Die Hard

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You are being ignorant about the fact that this girl's personality is the problem. This ignorance is pointed out by the fact that you were asking those earlier questions (as well as some more questions from your latest post)

You failed to address my question, by the way.

( . )( . )

Banned
Reaction score
She sounds like your textbook dead sh!t Western woman living her non- existent life vicariously through the zombie box.

In short, she needs the love of an alpha, the pain and joy of childbirth and the nurturing of children that comes with it, her role should have been the glue of the family unit. She needs to be busy with a life that is naturally suited for her but which escapes her. Thus enter the glow of the TV , the incessant clucking of weave wearing gold diggers and a thousand other lives.

She was robbed by the ruling class and these brain dead TV shows are a shiny consolation prize to distract her from her new role as a fearful worker drone. I use the word "worker" loosely, as we know women don't actually work in this new life (in the sense of building, creating, supporting etc), however they still generate a sh!t tonne of wealth for the elite.

EDIT: All that depressing sh!t aside. Isn't living with a gf one of Rollo's iron rules of what not to do? You been here since 05.

Last edited:

Victory Unlimited

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
AMIAFC,

The low quality/high quality woman question aside, do you mind sharing what made you decide to invite her to come live with you in the first place?