Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

limited resources....you know..

DJ_Mind_Tricks

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey guys, do you think it is possible to get a full body workout with just a full set of dumbells, a curlbar, and a barbell and bench? I have weight training as a class in school, but the year is coming to an end and i wanna keep lifting.

Im low on money and i think i can only buy dumbells,a bar w/ weights, a curlbar, and a bench. In school i had some machines i used like the tricep pushdown, the lat pulldown, the seated row, and most of the cable stuff.

So far i know how to work my chest, biceps, triceps, traps, shoulders and a few other with what i can afford.

so i wanna know how can you work your back muscles with just dumbells or a bar? im poor lol

falloutboy

Don Juan
Reaction score
so i wanna know how can you work your back muscles with just dumbells or a bar? im poor lol
If you're getting a bench, kneel on it with one knee and lift dumbells from the ground to your chest (bent-over rows). For your lats don't forget the most obvious--pull-ups. You can do them with weights on your feet for more resistance if they get too easy for you.

hardwork

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I personally don't even believe in weights…

It's possible to get a full-body workout without weights. In fact, it's even better on your joints and tendons.

Think of the Shaolin Monks: how many hours a week do you think they spend deadlifting and bench pressing? Zero. But they're some of the most flexible (IE, mobile), strong, explosively powerful people around.

It's stupid to deny that a good weights program won't augment any physical activity you do, but I find it pretty senseless to just get "puffy" muscles that are immobile and without the endurance it takes to be active all the time.
From Outside Magazine, May 2004
What—you just wanna get buff? Please note world champion surfer Andy Irons, our fitness adviser and cover icon: ripped, yes, but also in the kind of shape that lets him play hard every day. "And going out every day is one of the best ways to stay motivated," Irons says. Cantaloupe biceps and cobblestone abs are great, but they don't mean much if they won't open the door to a lifetime of fun. Think of it as your freedom physique.

semag

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's stupid to deny that a good weights program won't augment any physical activity you do, but I find it pretty senseless to just get "puffy" muscles that are immobile and without the endurance it takes to be active all the time.
It's all a matter of balance for each individual person. One must try weight training programs, body weight resistance, and find what suits him/her best. If you do weight training, combined with things that keep your body flexible, why would this not be the most optimal solution?

Bodybuilding uses weight training to sculpt physique. Power lifting uses weight training to generate power and strength. Gymnasitcs creates flexibility, grace and balance. Find the balance that fits your individual lifestyle.

hardwork

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by semag
It's all a matter of balance for each individual person. One must try weight training programs, body weight resistance, and find what suits him/her best. If you do weight training, combined with things that keep your body flexible, why would this not be the most optimal solution?
That's what I was saying. Too many guys throw themselves into the gym to get big, then either quit because the gains aren't there, it's boring, or they get hurt; or they get big, but can't do anything with their newfound size.

It is about balance, and that's what I was stressing.

DJ_Mind_Tricks

Don Juan
Reaction score
hmm

actually im just trying to cut up right now,

i do muay thai and other martial arts throughout the week so i gotta stay flexible.

also can you guys elaborate on the bodyweight exercises?

sounds interesting it might supplement my Martial arts training.

i wonder if its possible to just not buy any weights,, save some $$$

anyway, i just started seriously lifting 3 weeks ago, so im not all that strong anyway

earlier in the year, my weight training class was just for hitting on chicks and trading stories with the boys. you get graded for showing up to class anyway.

i wonder if bruce lee used weights, hes my idol lol. he was ripped, he was also very fast and powerful which was amazing for his size.

hardwork

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by DJ_Mind_Tricks
also can you guys elaborate on the bodyweight exercises?
Originally posted by DJ_Mind_Tricks
i wonder if bruce lee used weights, hes my idol lol. he was ripped, he was also very fast and powerful which was amazing for his size.
Yeah, he did. He really messed up his back, too, doing a god-awfully heavy good morning without warming up. ;) But he also did standing barbell pushes, which are one of my most favorite body-destroying lifts.There's one more that I can't find right now, but watch this space and I'll post it when I find it.

Otherwise, do a Google search on "calisthenics" and you should be able to find a number of great bodyweight exercizes. There's scads of books about it, too.