Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Lifting straps

Mr.Positive

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm considering purchasing lifting straps for the deadlift.

I've been stuck at 315lbs, at 5 reps, however the 5th rep the bar is slipping through my fingers on the lift. It doesn't seem to be a grip problem, as in forearms, but more of a finger strength issue. I know I can do more reps, and hopefully keep gaining, however this seems to be holding me back.

I've noticed that most people at the gym doing deads at this weight or more, are using lifting straps.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/gl/big.html

Any thoughts on this? Do you guys recommend this, or use them?

Drum&Bass

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
MORE WEIGHTED PULL UPS, MORE BARBELL ROWS, Never drop weights, when you return your plates use your fingers to pinch them. Climb more things.

Any thoughts on this? Do you guys recommend this, or use them?
you can use straps if you want..your back will only get stronger..But for guys like myself its more of a preference and personal matter to NOT use straps or anything that helps to make things comfy. If your grip is failing its easy to do some simple exercises to bring up your forearm strength.

I've noticed that most people at the gym doing deads at this weight or more, are using lifting straps.
thats cause there HUGE PUSSIES !! there weren't any lifting straps when we were cavemen..or what happens when you need to lift an obscure object in real life and you don't have any straps, what are you gonna do ?? call a bigger stronger guy to come rescue you.

Flyer

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I had a problem with losing grip as well.

With a bit of hesitation, listened to WBA, or effort..
bought straps and now I'm lifting more than before. (by 10kgs)

I'm only using the straps on the work sets. warmups are done without them.

U can always train grip strength another way.

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Defititely get a pair of straps. My grip was struggling with 125kg 7-8 months ago on deads, I did 172.5kg without straps the other day.

I only had to use them for a month and my grip adapted very quickly, I don't need to use them now. They stimulate forearm growth, not prohibit. Popular misconception.

MrS

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
improve your grip.

Mr.Positive

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips guys. I definitely don't want to become dependent on using straps, but it sounds like it will help me get over this hump.

Quagmire911 said:
Defititely get a pair of straps. My grip was struggling with 125kg 7-8 months ago on deads, I did 172.5kg without straps the other day.
Nice gains Quagmire! Inspiring. Also, what particular straps to you recommend? Is there any difference between the brands?

I-tallionStallion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Funny enough i got stuck in a rut around 315 with my grip too. It took me two weeks and a new diet but I kept toughing it out and eventually my grip for the dead lift became a lot more solid. I now do about 365 lbs raw 1x5 with little grip problems.

You could always try chalk ;)

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I only used a cheap pair from golds gym for straps.

They did me a hell of a lot of good, however it might be very individualistic as to there effectiveness. You will only know if you try. As I say, I only used them for 4 weeks or so and my forearms saw tremendous strength increases; so much so that I haven't needed them since. I agree you shouldn't become dependant on them, for me that wasn't nearly the case.

Quagmire

Ps-Like Stallion says, chalk it a must. An absolute must.

Flyer

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Quagmire, did you keep using alternate grips when you had straps?

It took me a bit before I got used to lifting without alternate grips with straps. And during that process, may have relied more on the straps to pull than otherwise necessary.

fireguy

Don Juan
Reaction score
Use chalk. You get really greate grip frm it. Feels like your hands are glued to the bar :) Before you purchase straps, atleast try chalk to see how it feels.

wolf116

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Flyer, Why is your squats heaver then your deadlift?

This is physically impossible, Poliquin said so.

Are you going ATG?

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I just kept an underhand/overhand grip. Although I have been thinking about trying to mix them a bit, will have to see though.

Definitely try chalk, can make a big difference.

wolf116

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Dose anyone else experience uneven muscle development from the apposing grip?
Maybe it is from years of boxing.
Or I'm just naturally uneven.

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I know my right forearm is stronger, it always has been, but I have thought that perhpas the different grip will be doing something differently. This is why I am thinking to alternate grips sometimes.

Grip still gets hit pretty hard from rows/chins though so it shouldn't be too much of a problem I don't think.

Quagmire