Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Lifeforce Weightlifting Journal

Lifeforce

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I just got my supplement stuff so now I'm off to the gym. Thought about keeping a small journal here to track my progress and to get some feedback.

Current Size when starting:

1,77 meters (5,8 feet)
65 Kg (142 lbs) and hardgainer!

Goal
75 Kg (165 lbs)
<8% body fat

Supplements:

Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey (vanilla - tastes GREAT!)
Dalblads Nutrition Weight Gainer (vanilla)
Dalblads Nutrition Micronized Pure Creatine
Multivitamin and minerals
Flaxseed oil (haven't got this one yet)

18/5 2005 Leg Day

Just tried new exersices and kept around 10-12 reps to get used to the weight. People at the gym was really nice, met the instructor and we got along real well. In the beginning it was scary going to the gym but now people come up and chat between sets, its like a second family!

Straight-back and Straight-leg Deadlift (hamstrings)

11 Rep 50 Kg (110 lbs)
9 Rep 50 Kg (110 Lbs)
9 Rep 50 Kg (110 Lbs)
7 Rep 50 Kg (110 Lbs)

Squats (quadriceps)

12 Rep 50 Kg (110 Lbs)
11 Rep 60 Kg (130 Lbs)
9 Rep 60 Kg (130 Lbs)
7 Rep 60 Kg (130 Lbs)

Standing Calves Raise (Back Calves)

15 Rep 50 Kg (110 Lbs)
12 Rep 55 Kg (120 Lbs)
11 Rep 60 Kg (130 Lbs)
9 Rep 65 Kg (140 Lbs)

Seated Reverse Calf Rise (Front Calves)

20 Rep 20 Kg (40 Lbs)
16 Rep 20 Kg (40 Lbs)

Shrugs (Traps)

12 Rep 60 Kg (130 Lbs)
7 Rep 60 Kg (130 Lbs)

Diet

After all the expensive supplements I was a little short on cast. But noodles are great. :rolleyes: This is my daily diet for now.

Meal 1 - 2 sandwiches with peanut butter and 1 glas of milk and Creatine

Meal 2 - Egg Noodles, soy, sambal oylek, orange juice mixed with multi vitamin pill

Meal 3 - 2 Scoops of Weight Gainer and 3 dl Milk

Meal 4 - 2 Scoops of Whey protein and creatine (on training day) mixed with 3 dl milk and 2 dl water.

Meal 4 - 2 Scoops of Whey Protein and a small portion of Egg noodles

Meal 5 - Portion of Egg noodles 1 Scoop of Weight Gainer, 2 dl Milk and creatine (on regular days)

Meal 6 - something small, varies

Protein - 182 g
Carbs - 354 g
Fat (mostly unsaturated) - 73 g
Lots of water

19/5 2003

Since monday I have succeeded in losing 2 lbs! Think it has to do with lack of sleep, with all the exams I have only gotten 8 hours of good sleep in three days.

Resting my body and eating as above.

Big N

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
First of all, good work. Your leg workout was nearly impeccable. My only suggestion on that is to do squats first because they work the most leg muscles out of all those exercises. Generally, you want to go from largest muscle groups to smallest muscle groups. Whatever, it's not a big deal. I'm sure you'll be decreasing the reps as you go (I find that 5-8 reps packs the mass on like none other).

Now, your diet. I don't know if you've heard this, but muscles are made in the kitchen. Don't sweat it on the flaxseed oil...it's not as essential as people say it is. Ok, I'll take you through:

1) What the **** are egg noodles? OATMEAL is what you need for gaining weight. Do yourself a favor, and instead of getting flax oil, go out and buy a keg of oatmeal and steal a couple handfuls of Equal or Splenda from McDonalds. Have at least half a cup of oatmeal for every meal. My favorite (which I have eaten for the last 2 years):

One cup of oatmeal w/ water. Put 2 packs of splenda on top, mix it in. Eat about 2/3 of it. Then put in a scoop of chocolate protein powder. Drink a cup & a half of skim milk to wash it down. This gives you about 500-600 calories, around 40 grams of protein (which vary between fast [whey, 20 grams] and slow [casein+wheat, 20 grams]). ****, I just noticed that you use metric measurements...sorry bro.

2) You need simple carbs in your post-workout shake. Personally, I would save the whey for normal meals and simply use the weight-gainer as a post-workout drink. The weight-gainer most likely has plenty of whey protein & simple carbohydrates (sugar, maltodextrin, dextrose, sucrose, fructose...one of those). If you decide to use the weight gainer, measure it out so you're getting 50-100g carbs and 30-50g protein in the shake. If you are dead-set on using your whey, go out and buy some gatorade powder (buy the powder only...not the drinks. The powder has dextrose as one of the first ingredients...you can get about a month's worth for $9).

3) Your last meal should be protein/fat only. Oh yeah, read up on John Berardi's Massive Eating (something like that). It outlines his whole system of P/C and P/F meals, which have become pretty mainstream in bodybuilding in the last year. Anyways, your first 5 meals should be P/C, and the last meal should be P/F. I usually eat something like

1 can of tuna, 2 tbsp peanut butter, and a tbsp of olive oil
1 can of tuna, 5 egg whites, and two tbsp olive oil
2 oz. cheddar cheese, 2 tbsp peanut butter, and a tbsp olive oil
or
1 cup cottage cheese, 2tbsp peanut butter, and a tbsp olive oil.

Anyways, you get the idea. You want a variety of sources of slow-burning proteins such as casein or meat (peanut butter is also slow-burning)...basically anything other than whey. You also want a good amount of healthy fats (I shoot for 30 grams or so). Oh yeah, you can use pretty much whatever oil you have lying around the house already. Just check the ingredients (make sure there's no hydrogenated ****) and the nutrititon facts (make sure there's no more than one or two grams of sat. fat). Flax oil would be nice (it's omega 3, it has a lot of polyunsaturated), but you won't notice a difference if you use Olive or Canola instead.

Alright, I don't know why I decided to post all this, but I may as well continue. Here are some links that are good for beginning/intermediate bodybuilding/fitness types (don't worry about the "bodybuilding" nametag...if you want to look like Brad Pitt, or a model, or something like that, "bodybuilding" is what you want):

http://www.johnberardi.com/
This guy is a tank, fun to read, and knows his ****.

http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/masseating_1.htm
http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/masseating_2.htm
Probably the two best nutrition articles I have ever read. Enjoy.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=150447
http://forum.bodybuilding.com
A pretty good bodybuilding forum. I tend to stay away from the teen section becuase a lot of the posters don't know jack, but the nutrition forum is excellent.

The bulking & cutting guides at the top of this forum are very good, too (but I'm sure you've already read them). Overall, my only advice is that it is very hard to eat too much.

Alright, good luck. If you ever need inspiration, get a copy of "Pumping Iron", the bodybuilding documentary w/ Schwartzeneggar.

Lifeforce

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hell this was a ****ing awesome post! A thousand thanks for taking the time.

By some lucky twist of fate I realized that my diet was totally ****ed up. I started eating oatmeal a couple of days ago. Do porridge work or do it have to be water/oatmeal? And what is splenda? In the Mcdonalds I am from you can only steal salt, pepper... and ketchup if you are really daring.

So... i'll do point two, eat only fat/protein the last meal and get pumping iron and massive eating. Sounds easy. And one last thing... sorry about not replying, my computer crashed just after posting the first post.

an update:

Current Weight: 67,5 Kg

Arms&Chest:
Military Press 30 Kg 66 Lbs
Bench 38 Kg 83 Lbs
Barbel 22.5 Kg 50 Lbs
French Curl 17,5 Kg 40 Lbs
Shrugs 50 Kg 110 Lbs
Wrist Curl 20 Kg 45 Lbs

Legs and Back

Squat 57 Kg 125 Lbs
Deadlift 70 Kg 154 Lbs
Straight-leg and straight-back deadlift 55 Kg 120 Lbs
Standing Calves Raise 75 Kg 165 Lbs

Lifeforce

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
just an update

Current Weight: 69.9 Kg

Arms&Chest:
Military Press 30 Kg 66 Lbs
Arnold Press 11 Kg 24 lbs (per dumbel)
Bench 42.5 Kg 93.5 Lbs
Biceps Barbel Curl 25 Kg 55 Lbs
French Curl 20 Kg 44 Lbs
Shrugs 42 Kg 92 Lbs <--- Did this one wrong before
Wrist Curl 20 Kg 45 Lbs

Legs and Back

Squat 75 Kg 165 Lbs
Deadlift 80 Kg 176 Lbs
Straight-leg and straight-back deadlift 65 Kg 143 Lbs

Goal: 75 Kg focusing on pectoral, deltoid, lat and triceps development. I will also try negative reps so I develop the stabilizing and aiding muscles. My forearms are too weak to handle the stress I put on them, so developing them has great priority!

I have changed my diet, please give me feedback

Meal one
Oatmeal porridge with crushed flaxseed in it
1 Multivitamin pill

Meal two
White Rice, sallad and soy by the side

Meal three
Oatmeal porridge, sandwich with peanut butter and a boiled egg

Meal four
1 Scoop of gainer
1 Scoop of Whey
Mixed in half a litre of milk

Meal five
Something that include
at least 10 g protein
at least 53 g carbs
0-38 g of fat

Meal six
2 scoops of whey mixed in half a litre of milk

This gives around 150 g of protein, 350 g of carbs and 30-70 g of fat.

Lifeforce

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
STARTING MAX-OT

I started MAX-OT this week and a round of creatine too, I feel stronger this week and I am sure I will punch through my current personal bests.

Had a small injury in my quadriceps, it hurted for a week and I waited a couple of days after the pain was gone before I started to train again.

I will post more at the end of the week to tell about the progress of MAX OT.

DJBen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's great to see that you're being completely realistic, honest, and most importantly up to date with this journal. Most of the time, when I see people make these types of journals, they suddenly go from benching 40KG to 60KG in a week or two [which I find hard to believe] and dont post again.

It's also great to see all the compound movements in there, and none of the icolation stuff... stay away from that to begin with, thats only for the more hardcore BB'ers.

I'd say you're pretty much set with your routine. stick at it dude :)

oh... and as a side:

you said you want to work on your triceps? what works well for me are skull crushers and narrow grip bench pressing. I think the narrow grip bench presses arent rated highly enough ;)

Keep us posted :)

Lifeforce

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the feedback Ben, great to have someone respond. I tried the narrow grip bench presses a while back, a real killer for the tris! However I must stick to the max-ot program so I can't do it right now.

Update!

Current Weight: 71.5 on monday, 71.1 today (around 156 lbs)

Arms&Chest:
Military Press 32.5 Kg 71.5 Lbs
Arnold Press 11 Kg 24 lbs (per dumbel) <-- A little too light but the next dumbell at 13.6 is too heavy for me.
Bench 45 Kg 99 Lbs
Incline Bench 42.5 93 lbs
Biceps Barbel Curl 27.5 Kg 60 Lbs
SKULL CRUSHERS! 22.5 Kg 49 Lbs
Shrugs 70 Kg 150 Lbs <--- WTF?
Wrist Curl 22.5 Kg 49 Lbs

There is something wrong with my traps, before I have only managed to do 42 kg with good form, today I did 70. I think it is because I used to do deadlifts and stiff leg deads on the same day and then traps after. Does this sound like a possible explanation?

Legs and Back

Squat 75 Kg 165 Lbs
Leg Press 97 Kg 213 lbs
Deadlift 80 Kg 176 Lbs
Straight-leg and straight-back deadlift 65 Kg 143 Lbs

NOTE! I had a small injury in my left quadricep so I have taken it easy for a while to recouperate and heal. This means I have not done any Deadlifts, calves raises and stiff leg deads. I managed to return to my normal squat weight at 75 kg (165 lbs) this monday. Hoping to be able to increase to 80 next week.

Abs

Crunches with 5 kg (11 lbs) weight on chest
Leg raises on floor attached to cable 5 kg (11 lbs)

The progress so far seems really good, I have almost smashed through every personal best I have. I'll be back with more detail later after back and chest is done.

Lifeforce

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I quit doing max-ot, I follow the rep range but training 5 times a week is just way too much stress on my body.

Current Weight: 70.6 kg 155 lbs

Arms&Chest:
Military Press 32.5 Kg 71.5 Lbs
Arnold Press 11 Kg 24 lbs
Bench 55 Kg 121 Lbs
Incline Bench 45 99 lbs
Biceps Barbel Curl 30 Kg 66 Lbs
Skull crushers 25 Kg 55 Lbs
Shrugs 70 Kg 150 Lbs
Wrist Curl 25 Kg 55 Lbs

Legs and Back

Lat pulldown 66 kg 145 lbs
Squat 80 Kg 176 Lbs
Leg Press 115 Kg 253 lbs
Deadlift 85 Kg 176 Lbs
Straight-leg and straight-back deadlift 70 Kg 154Lbs
Bent over barbell row 60 kg 132 lbs

Abs

Crunches with 7.5 kg (17 lbs) weight on chest
Leg raises on floor attached to cable 10 kg (22 lbs)

I was surprised at my increase in the bench... from 45 kg to 55... when I trained I had the feeling I could lift it and I did with proper form.

Last edited:

DJBen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Your bench weight has gone insane man. The only thing I've noticed is you are hardly gaining on your military presses. Focus on your weakest points and make them your strength. A chain is only as strong as it's weakest links. By making the chain stronger, you can begin doing unthinkable things.

My shrugs jumped about 25-30KG, I guess the first few times they werent used to them. Maybe I was being a pvssy when I did them the first time. I dont care about weight right now, rather gaining muscle. [As you may already know, amoutn of muscle is not relative to your strength]

Things are coming on good. Are you feeling slightly sick when doing squats/after a heavy back workout? thats a good sign that you've pushed yourself.

Keep up the good work. Question though:

how do YOU feel when you look in the mirror, and how do YOU feel your mood etc has come along? :)

Lifeforce

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I can't even begin to explain how great it feels to improve the body... to actually be able to see a difference in the body stature. I used to be all superskinny... with bones pointing out from everywhere... now they are all covered and I start to get some musclemass on top of them. And when it comes to the ladies... I have never been stared upon so much. I feel I have broken through a glass ceiling... now I can pick up more good looking women who never ever responded to me before. If you read my old post then you will see I used to be rejected for being so ugly. Girls actually told me that I was too ugly to talk to! Now I think those girls are below me. So it is just great, before I used to dislike what I saw in the mirror, now I find myself flexing in it all the time... how do you feel?

when I do squats I feel a little sick afterwards, it sometimes happens after deadlifts too... I figured that was a good sign... :D

I'll look into that military press thing, It may have something to do with different weights from different companies. The weights I started out with I have heard are not as heavy as the ones I use now for military press. I'll report back on my progress.

The bench thing had a lot to do that a person I truly hated was benching next to me ;) I hope he's around lot in the future.

How's your lifting?

DJBen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My lifting is coming on in leaps and bounds. Thanks to some of the guys here who I've already thanked, and some that I havnt. I've read a lot about dieting and lifting and I seem to have sniffed out all the B/S. Over the last 2 months, I have been adding on average 7lbs a week on almost all my core lifts. It's slowing down now though, and I need a week or two off to give my body a well earnt rest.

I didnt notice the change in my body until today. I've been inconsistant with my diet... cutting for four weeks, bulking for four weeks, cutting for 3 weeks, bulking for another five. I've just set out a solid routine, solid diet, and solid dates so I dont differ from my plans. However, I've still got my body growing huge. I'm at 169lbs at 12%bf. I feel, look, and believe I'm in the best shape I've ever been. Thats what matters to me.

As soon as you can, replace lat pulldowns with pull-ups and cycle between the two, as lat pulldowns actually hit muscles nothing else seems to be able to.

gav

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
that's great lifeforce. stunning gains. what do you think the biggest factor in your bulking success has been?

i'm at 156lbs just now with a low bf% and gaining slowly because i've been mixing cardio into it (not intentionally, because of sports)

whats your new goal? still bulking?

Lifeforce

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
BeN:
No better feeling in the world than feeling good about yourself, you go have that rest and enjoy. At 7 lbs a week, that's great man!

Lat stuff I'll do, I started with pulldowns because I couldn't manage pullups.. :/

Gav:

Consitensy and eating lots of food... maybe having some people around in the gym I really hate to boost my lifts. :D Yea, and eating lots of food. What's your success, you've gained A LOT too, and your goals!?

I'll bulk till I reach 75 kg 165 lbs and then I'll start cutting, I have a low fat percentage now so I'll grow a little bit more, aiming for 6 weeks of bulking and one week of rest before cutting. Next goal is 80 kg! 175 lbs! Man I can't belive I was at 62 before. Feels unreal.

At the gym today, I saw one of the snottiest persons I have ever seen, one of the most attractive too... she had like double D or something, GREAT body, perfect tan and was working out in a bikini! My gym is connected to a bathhouse... major attention***** but god it looked like her breasts wanted to pop out from her bikini. I tell you, they were the best looking tits I have ever seen in my life. That was some experience. Too bad she was rude as hell... what a turnoff. :/

Todays workout:

Chest/tris/deltoids

Bench

6x55 kg
5x55 kg
5x52.5 kg

Incline

4x50 kg
6x45 kg

(dips with no attached weights since my crappy gym lacks it!)

skull Crushers

6x25 kg
4x25 kg

Close grip bench

4x40 kg
4x37 kg

Military Press

5x35 kg
4x35 kg

Upright Rows?

9x25 kg
7x25 kg

Arnold Press

5x13.6 kg

Wrist curls

12+ x25
11x25

Lifeforce

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I found my old journal of all my lifts when I started, also I found the measurements from when I started. Since I have not posted any measurements before I thougt it could be good to do it now.

Height 5'9"

Arms 11.7"
Neck 14.4"
Forearms 10.4"
Chest 36"
Waist 28.4"
Thigh 18.4"
Calfs 14.4"

Weight: 62 kg 137 lbs

Current Measurements:

Height 5'9"

Arms 12.8"
Neck 15.2"
Forearms 11.6"
Chest 39"
Waist 29.6"
Thigh 21.6"
Calfs 15.4"

Weight: around 71 kg 156 lbs

Starting Lifts:

Squats: 35 kg
Deadlift: 55 kg at week 2
Military Press: 25 kg
Barbell Curl: 22.5 Kg
French Curl: 15 kg
Bench Press: 30 Kg

Yes, all the exercises I did :D

DJBen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I hit a consistancy block at the point you're at now. I stopped training so hard, and my diet slipped a bit.

keep it up! :)

Hows the grip with the deads btw? you use gloves?

Edit: PS. From now on dont call yourself a hard gainer. In my oppinion, it's just a word people use cause they're not huge yet and cant bench a million lbs. Hardgainer is an attitude, not a reality. Even if you do struggle with gains, remove the word hardgainer and replace it with trains-balls-to-the-wall. Much better attitude to lifting :)

Lifeforce

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey, what a coincidence, I slacked off at my diet about two weeks ago, I dropped weight so now I'm back on the wagon, or is it off? Anyway, the days of hardgaining is over I'll try your bally attitude.

Gloves are for pussies :D I don't want to be one of those guys who glove all the stuff. The grip with the deads are starting to become too week, I have started standing with two heavy dumbells to help strenghten my grip... it looks kind of stupid.

Todays workout:

Weight: 72.2 with clothes

Deadlift 5x90 198 lbs
Deadlift 3x90 198 lbs
Deadlift 5x85 187 lbs

Biceps curl 8x30 66lbs
Biceps curl 4x32.5 71.5 lbs
Biceps curl 5x30 66 lbs

Bent over row 67x4 147
Bent over row 57x6 125

Pulldown 6x63 138 lbs
Pulldown 5x63 138 lbs

Dumbell curl 13.6x5 30 lbs

Standing around with two 31.6 kg 70 lbs dumbells for a while looking stupid

Couldn't do my abs today since the machine was occupied all the time.

gav

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i thought you said you were at 169lbs. thought you had gone mental on your bodybuilding over the summer :D

still impressive gains and your weightlifting looks in good shape. i'm the same with the gloves. i tried em for a few days but there was hardly any difference. plus, i really really need bigger forearms. that's why my lifts are all so shyt.

does holding dumbbells while standing still help? i suppose it couldn't hurt.

i think i need to measure how much weight i'm lifting.
the only ones i know are

bench press: 45kg * 8
deadlift: 60kg * 8 (don't have any more weight :rolleyes: )
squat: 45kg * 8

with deadlifts and benches, i don't have anyone to spot me or hand me the weight onto my shoulders or chest, so i've got to slack off with some weight. that'll all change once i get back to my uni gym.

oh yeh, you mentioned ab machines? i'd stay away from them if i were you. inclined weighted situps and leg raises are great.

you got any pics btw? mine http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?postid=3633223#post3633223

DJBen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Static holds for grip and forearms can be good. But yeah, people sometimes look funny at you when you're at there with heavy dumbells in your hands looking at that fit gym instructors ass. not that I'm guilty of that :rolleyes:

I've got a problem with my right kidney. I think it might be stones, or a seriously bad case of a chill. I'm rather pissed off to say the least cause I wanted to shatter my limits this week [week before I take a week off :(] you two best train harder for me ;) heh

Gav, things are looking alright man. Just keep bulking :) bulk bulk bulk bulk bulk :) That bicep pic was odd man ;) mine used to do that, but then I started hammer curls and the problem resolved itself.

Use crunches, weighted crunches, leg lifts etc. The machines are ok, but no replacement for the real crunches :)

Lifeforce

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by gav
i thought you said you were at 169lbs. thought you had gone mental on your bodybuilding over the summer :D

still impressive gains and your weightlifting looks in good shape. i'm the same with the gloves. i tried em for a few days but there was hardly any difference. plus, i really really need bigger forearms. that's why my lifts are all so shyt.

does holding dumbbells while standing still help? i suppose it couldn't hurt.

i think i need to measure how much weight i'm lifting.
the only ones i know are

bench press: 45kg * 8
deadlift: 60kg * 8 (don't have any more weight :rolleyes: )
squat: 45kg * 8

with deadlifts and benches, i don't have anyone to spot me or hand me the weight onto my shoulders or chest, so i've got to slack off with some weight. that'll all change once i get back to my uni gym.

oh yeh, you mentioned ab machines? i'd stay away from them if i were you. inclined weighted situps and leg raises are great.

you got any pics btw? mine http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?postid=3633223#post3633223
Standing with dumbells are great, you become the center of attention ;) I feel very DJ doing it.

Too bad about the forearms, do you do wrist curls and train them properly?

Nice pics by the way, like your back... and the freaky bicep :D, you inspired mee to take some too, They are kind of big, 1 meg each, so if you have MSN I'll gladly send them to you.

I don't use ab machines, I attach my legs to a cable doing this:
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/RectusAbdominis/CBLyingStraightLegHipRaise.html

It is a killer for the abs! Incline weighted crunches I do too. :)

Lifeforce

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
BEN:

Sad to hear man. Hope you get better soon.