Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Lessons from a 13 year LTR

Panzergrenadier

Don Juan
Reaction score
Well, after 13 years I'm back here. I remember finding this site back as a junior in college, and boy was it eye opening and the lessons I found really did change my life for the better. That was around 2002. We sure walked with kings back then here. The reason I met my future wife was probably because I did have a new confidence and followed the basic fundamentals when I met her, along with not smothering her with dumb flowers on the first date etc.

13 years later, I've learned a lot. Some of it is particular to me, some may apply to others. I'll share it to give back to the site that started it all.

Falling in love was easy. I had just dated a girl with no attraction signs about two weeks prior to meeting my eventual wife, so when I met here the buying signs were pretty much illuminated with huge flashing strobe lights so obvious I couldn't miss them. I lived in a college town in North Dakota where many others were from very small towns. In that part of the country it was very common for people to marry young. I was looking for an LTR, had a girl that really matched me and was mature and family oriented without any games, and went for it. We met at 21, were married at 23.

Fast forward almost 11 years. We survived a short airline career (terrible for families), then law enforcement (also tough on families). The careers really didn't do it. What happened then? The truth is we both sort of changed and drifted apart. What were common interests in college no longer were interesting to us. Our new interests were no longer common. 13 years of intimacy, 2 kids later, and it was the most boring thing ever. Sex became like a poop, something you do because you kind of have to.

So eventually she goes on this trip and comes home and decides she doesn't want to be married. I did everything wrong, begged, etc. Nothing was going to change it. But I had to fight for my honor and for the sake of my kids. After three months of hurting me, i finally snapped and regained my self respect. Decided I didn't give a flying f@ck if we stayed together. That was the road to recovery. I realized that I was hardly the prize I had been 13 years ago. Not really exciting, didn't put any effort out. I wouldn't have dated myself either in that state!

I learned there is a real danger in marrying young, but marriage in general these days is a huge risk because people change. It takes two to keep a family, it takes just one to quit. When the times got tough she was selfish and immature and quit. This site was right on when people say once she gives up, forget it the best thing you can do is just move on too you won't get her to relove you. All the stuff I learned back in college about nurturing a relationship from here had been long forgotten, in a dusty file cabinet somewhere in the back of my head. Once I decided to move on, came back here, opened the cabinet up again it felt energizing to remember who I once was. The stuff here is truly gold. I'm the prize again. I'm happy with who I am again.

Is it sad? Eh, its life. I'm enjoying the hell of out it right now. I climb mountains again, play hockey several nights in the week, and am in the best shape of my life. I wear my hair the way i like it, listen to the music I like, and an old college friend said "it's like the old you is back." It's like I had been slowly smothered out of who I was and didn't realize it until I was freed. And I am going to meet a girl tomorrow 10 years younger and blonder.

bigneil

Banned
Reaction score
I'm sure it's difficult, but at age 36, do you really want a woman who is 36? She must have started to seem old to you by now (something that should have happened about 10 years ago). You should be with a 25 year old.

Thorninmyside

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
13 years is a pretty good run considering how young you got together, and how different a woman your own age becomes as you approach 40.

Keep up the self-respect, self-fulfillment, be an awesome dad, and you'll be bagging 20 somethings for quite some time yet. Enjoy the process! Sounds like your head is exactly where it needs to be.

Word to the wise though, as 3 years ago I was exactly where you are - keep reminding yourself of why you feel like you do now. Write it down if you have to so that positive you has a message for old you if he comes back. The backsliding is lurking and and you just need to be vigilant for permanent prevention.

Reaction score
bigneil said:
I'm sure it's difficult, but at age 36, do you really want a woman who is 36? She must have started to seem old to you by now (something that should have happened about 10 years ago). You should be with a 25 year old.
I think she should be 30+ 25-30 is problemsome as they are wishy washy because they are still growing up.

zinc4

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Meh, I'm dating a 34 year old who is extremely health and skin conscious and she looks 25 and doesn't play any games....to each and their own.

Sorry to hear about the failed marriage....how many partners did she have before you?

Marriage is risky business.

Reaction score
Panzergrenadier said:
Well, after 13 years I'm back here. I remember finding this site back as a junior in college, and boy was it eye opening and the lessons I found really did change my life for the better. That was around 2002. We sure walked with kings back then here. The reason I met my future wife was probably because I did have a new confidence and followed the basic fundamentals when I met her, along with not smothering her with dumb flowers on the first date etc.

13 years later, I've learned a lot. Some of it is particular to me, some may apply to others. I'll share it to give back to the site that started it all.

Falling in love was easy. I had just dated a girl with no attraction signs about two weeks prior to meeting my eventual wife, so when I met here the buying signs were pretty much illuminated with huge flashing strobe lights so obvious I couldn't miss them. I lived in a college town in North Dakota where many others were from very small towns. In that part of the country it was very common for people to marry young. I was looking for an LTR, had a girl that really matched me and was mature and family oriented without any games, and went for it. We met at 21, were married at 23.

Fast forward almost 11 years. We survived a short airline career (terrible for families), then law enforcement (also tough on families). The careers really didn't do it. What happened then? The truth is we both sort of changed and drifted apart. What were common interests in college no longer were interesting to us. Our new interests were no longer common. 13 years of intimacy, 2 kids later, and it was the most boring thing ever. Sex became like a poop, something you do because you kind of have to.

So eventually she goes on this trip and comes home and decides she doesn't want to be married. I did everything wrong, begged, etc. Nothing was going to change it. But I had to fight for my honor and for the sake of my kids. After three months of hurting me, i finally snapped and regained my self respect. Decided I didn't give a flying f@ck if we stayed together. That was the road to recovery. I realized that I was hardly the prize I had been 13 years ago. Not really exciting, didn't put any effort out. I wouldn't have dated myself either in that state!

I learned there is a real danger in marrying young, but marriage in general these days is a huge risk because people change. It takes two to keep a family, it takes just one to quit. When the times got tough she was selfish and immature and quit. This site was right on when people say once she gives up, forget it the best thing you can do is just move on too you won't get her to relove you. All the stuff I learned back in college about nurturing a relationship from here had been long forgotten, in a dusty file cabinet somewhere in the back of my head. Once I decided to move on, came back here, opened the cabinet up again it felt energizing to remember who I once was. The stuff here is truly gold. I'm the prize again. I'm happy with who I am again.

Is it sad? Eh, its life. I'm enjoying the hell of out it right now. I climb mountains again, play hockey several nights in the week, and am in the best shape of my life. I wear my hair the way i like it, listen to the music I like, and an old college friend said "it's like the old you is back." It's like I had been slowly smothered out of who I was and didn't realize it until I was freed. And I am going to meet a girl tomorrow 10 years younger and blonder.
Did you ever wonder how you could've applied DJ principles and maintained your attraction to keep your 13 year LTR interested?

Wisconsin144

Don Juan
Reaction score
Definitely some things to learn from your previous LTR. Hope all is going well man, wish you nothing but the best.

stevo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ah boy!

You sound like you're no longer butthurt, which is good.

Keep strong brother, some of us have been there and know how you feel right now.

She probably want to get some sexual tension off her system, get on the cork carousel for a little bit.

You being confident and self aware might make her start to fall for you again, beware.

If you were to share the blame, what do you feel you could have done better to keep the marriage or was it just doomed being with one person for so long?

Was there a good frequency of seks but not enough equality?

Panzergrenadier

Don Juan
Reaction score
Sorry to not respond for a while I've been pretty busy.

As for DJ principles helping, yes and no. 13 years is well beyond the "be a challenge" and "make eye contact and kino" stage. I think I could have done a better job leading the family and all, I tended to let her do a lot of the work but most families say that's pretty normal. I think in the end we just changed over time and she got bored with married life and it takes two to make it and one to quit.

sex frequency was actually pretty fair, a few times a week, but quality was in the toilet. She just treated it like it was a chore to do, sort of like taking a poop or something.

And I'm totally looking for someone younger and blonder lol. That girl I went out with totally digs me but its...complicated. Oh well I'm just having fun in life right now.

Wen

Don Juan
Reaction score
Panzergrenadier said:
And I'm totally looking for someone younger and blonder lol. That girl I went out with totally digs me but its...complicated. Oh well I'm just having fun in life right now.
hey look at the bright side, you are going into your peak(25-45), her peak is already over (16-28) range.

bang all the hot young girls, who wants to bang old and used up anyway.

Dgwizdal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Any posts you can share from back in the day that brought you back to life?

Kind of in a slump right now.

Sorry it didn't work out. Glad you're back on your feet.

RangerMIke

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A big part of why LTR fail is the the husband stops acting like a man and the wife stops acting like a woman.

I have a friend married his college sweetheart right after graduation and they've been married for 26 years. They are still very happy together. When I asked their secret he said it was that they refused to be defined as husband and wife and that it outs you in the wrong mindset.

He says he's her 'man' and she's his 'woman'. They don't cheat on each other but both know finding someone else wouldn't be a problem. That way they both stay on their toes and never stop being attractive to each other.

They give each other space with trust.

Epimanes

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Op..Sorry to hear your marriage collapsed.. Going on 21 years togetheer here with my wife and I. 17 married in august and have 2 kids ages 17(daughter) and 11. (Son). Lots of up and downs. There was a stage of several years where the only thing that kept us together was our promise to god when we married and the hope that the bad times would work themselves out. Trusting god wouldn't give us anything more than we could handle. But past few years things have really smoothed over. I stopped allowing my wife to be the leader and make all the decisions or default to her choices. It was my job to man up. Lead the fam and drive the ship. All along its what my wife wanted really. Thanks to www.marriedmansexlife.com and several other resources we are as happy as we were when we first started dating @ 15 (her) and 16 (me). So it is possible. I am living it and loving it.

Epi

Augustus_McCrae

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Welcome back. Thanks for sharing your story. It reinforces Rollo's opinion that a man must always perform. Sadly, even when he performs, he can still be the victim of no fault divorce.

I know that divorce is hard with grown children. With younger ones it can be incredibly hard. I hope your ex is mature and stable enough to act in their best interest.

Wishing you and your children all the best.

-Augustus-

skinnyguy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'd be down to get married but she has to be realllly hot otherwise I'll lose attraction. I have ADD when it comes to women. 3 months and I'm out .