Leg Workout

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have been squatting seriously for a while now and within the last few weeks I have abruptly stopped making any gains. Hit 85kg (185-190lb) for 5 and tried increasing to 87.5kg and on two attempts only managed 3 reps. I had been adding 5kg until that point so I was surprised I couldn't manage the smaller increase. I don't feel as if it is my quads that are the weak link as they don't feel to bad afterwards, I think it is more in my hamstrings perhaps. I do legs once a week as follows :

Squat-2x5
Leg press-1x20
Calves-1x25
Hamstring machine 2x8

I know that the machines aren't ideal, and I intend to move away from them, but the squat is done completely freely ; barbell and squat rack. I was thinking maybe straight-legged deadlifts for the hamstrings. I would appreciate some guidance on where to go with this. Maybe s 20 rep squat instead of leg press ( :up: ) but I don't know how this would go as I tend to go all out on the 2x5. Ach well I let the guru's give some guidance and see what can be done, thanks in advance.

P.s.-Getting at least 1.5 grams protein per lb, doing plenty cardio, and am 16 at 152lb low bf%, so there is plenty of room for improvement.

SamoJednom

Don Juan
Reaction score
From most of the information I have read the general rule everyone says is if you are stalling it means you are not eating enough. So try to eat more and more then you are now.

Are you increasing weight every week or every workout?

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
5kg progress every week is awesome, it's only natural it'll end sometime. Where are you failing the squat?

20 rep leg presses are inferior to 20 rep squats for sure. I recommend them so that people learn intensity before stepping up to 20 rep squats. If you have been doing leg presses for a while then you can 'upgrade' to 20 rep squats.

As for hamstrings machines are okay if your hamstrings/hips are strong but if they need bringing up you have to hit up the stiff leg deadlifts, good mornings and glute ham raises with possibly a second posterior core exercise too. Depends on the person. However if you're gonna keep it low rep do more sets (3 x 8) as we're looking for higher reps here: 3 x 8, 2 x 15 etc.

Samo - that rule does not always apply unless the trainee is not growing or progressing in ALL his lifts. The OP asked a specific squat question.

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I am progressing well on deads up to 115 kg for 2x5 (250-255lb) increasing 5kg a week and bench is steadily increasing.

Warboss: Both times I have failed on rep 3 at 87.5kg, and generally the hardest part of the squat for me is coming back from ass to grass right before/at parallel, once past this point I sail up.

Thanks for the input...

P.s.-I'd like to add that I have increased on the leg press in the last two weeks, but not squats, even though these are done after the squats.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Easy solution, and one most serious squatters go through at some point: box squats and/or pause squats. I prefer box squats personally but they both work.

Do 2 x 5 on box or pause squats (box set at or pausing 2-3" below parallel) and then 1 x 20 on regular squats to ensure you keep growing. Do this for a month then try your regular squats again.

shaunuk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah, try adding another posterior core exercise in mate, i.e. like pullthroughs 3x10, then next time try 87.5kg for 3x3. It's alright not to do 2x5 like you normally do, as long as you're progressing. :)

-shaun

shaunuk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Warboss Alex said:
Easy solution, and one most serious squatters go through at some point: box squats and/or pause squats. I prefer box squats personally but they both work.

Do 2 x 5 on box or pause squats (box set at or pausing 2-3" below parallel) and then 1 x 20 on regular squats to ensure you keep growing. Do this for a month then try your regular squats again.
Yeah, I'm doing box squats at the moment, I think they're a good exercise. They'll hit the posterior core quite a bit as well btw. Start a bit lighter than your regular squats, you'll mostly likely be lifting less weight on your box squats.

-shaun

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Shaun, 3x3 is a viable option but in this case I'd rather Quagmire strengthened his movement out of the hole. Why do you think EFFORT's got you doing box squats? ;)

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for the sound advice guys, will try this and see how it goes. Just one other question-how do I do freakin box squats-and is there a replacment for the box? Can you just use a bench or something because I don't think i've seen one at the gym I go to, thanks.

shaunuk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Warboss Alex said:
Shaun, 3x3 is a viable option but in this case I'd rather Quagmire strengthened his movement out of the hole. Why do you think EFFORT's got you doing box squats? ;)
Indeed, indeed ;)

-shaun

shaunuk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Quagmire911 said:
Thanks for the sound advice guys, will try this and see how it goes. Just one other question-how do I do freakin box squats-and is there a replacment for the box? Can you just use a bench or something because I don't think i've seen one at the gym I go to, thanks.
You *can* use a bench, but it'll have to be a low one..there's a really low bench at my gym, which I use. I've never seen a bench so close to the ground, hehe. Otherwise, just get a box of some kind. You could even use a bucket or something, provided it's big enough for your arse ;)

On box squat form...Iron Addict posted a good article written by someone else over at ironaddicts.com. Essentially you kind of sit back onto the box, releasing the tension in your hips, and then you drive yourself back into a standing position. Don't squat to the box and touch-n-go, you actually gotta sit back onto the box. My explanation blows compared to the article on ironaddicts.com, your best bet is to read that :up:

When you're in the gym next get a light weight and practice some after you've read up on the form mate.

Right, bed time!! :up: G'night lads.

-shaun

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks, im sure there will be something I can use. Seconded on the bedtime, gotta get up for the early morning cardio :rockon:

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I use the athletic steps, they work fine as does a bench if it's at the right height.

Box squats: sit on the box, wait one second to kill any momentum or bounce reflex, stand up.