Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

LAW SCHOOL Q's! (Bible Belt???)

Teflon_Mcgee

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So I've decided I want to go to law school as soon as I finish my BS in engineering.

But I have no idea where to start.

I'm just looking for any pointers or info from anybody who has done anything from applying to actually graduating.

My main concern is being able to work (FT) and go to school part time. I understand that there are ABA accredited schools that have a part time schedule? How hard is it really to do?

Also, since I'm going to have an eng. degree my ultimate goal is to go onto patent law. Any tips or comments?

Obsidian

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
take about 10 practice LSATs

My main concern is being able to work (FT) and go to school part time....How hard is it really to do?
I think it's unadvisable to work during any kind of schooling (high school, college, etc.), but the time commitment required for law school is overblown, imo.

Monster

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I think it depends on what you want. If you want to get into a really competitive program and graduate and work in Big Law and get the $160,000 job then no, do not work full-time while enrolled. If you are looking to just get the law degree and don't care about graduating top of the class then choose an easier school and you should have no problem working with studying.

SmoothTalker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Wait.. top students from top law schools only make 160,000? Seriously? Perhaps he should stick with Engineering. I mean 160,000 isn't bad, but I would have thought it'd be way higher. Or does that shoot up considerably after a few years?

Suicide

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
One of my best friends is a mechanical engineer. He works full time at his firm and is doing law school at night. He's almost always in a work-induced coma because of his intense schedule, but he's making it. He is going to go into patent law, where the starting salary is extremely high with a J.D. If you have an engineering degree (or even better, a PE) and a J.D., you can pretty much write your own ticket.

Engineers aren't a common law school major. He did well on his LSAT but not incredible, your major is going to be a commodity for any law school you apply to. If you have any specific questions (since he's doing exactly what you want to), let me know and I will try to ask him.

You're getting your BS now I assume?

Silvertip

Don Juan
Reaction score
Decide when you want to take your LSAT and practice accordingly. I was signed up for an early morning test, so I woke up at that time every day during the week and did one section of a practice test. Be prepared to take the first section of the test when you're half-asleep.

Unless your school is a top-10, go within 300 miles of where you want to practice.

Don't work at all during your first year if you go full-time.

Teflon_Mcgee

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Suicide said:
Engineers aren't a common law school major. He did well on his LSAT but not incredible, your major is going to be a commodity for any law school you apply to. If you have any specific questions (since he's doing exactly what you want to), let me know and I will try to ask him.

You're getting your BS now I assume?
That's good to hear. I take it then the law school will take the difficulty of engineering classes into account when looking at GPA? Does your friend attribute his entrance into law school to his engineering degree?

And yes, I'm in my junior year.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I take it then the law school will take the difficulty of engineering classes into account when looking at GPA?

That would be fair if they did, but they don't. Schools might tell you they care, but they don't. All they care about is your gpa and lsat, and your race if you are an underrepresented minority. These are the criteria by which they are ranked. Schools will bs you a lot about how they don't care about rank, but they do. It's money.

Part-time programs are few and far between. None of them afaik are prestigious at all. The prestige of the school affects your starting salary. I would not recommend anyone go to law school who cannot get into a top 25 school, at least if you want to make money. Take a few LSATs. You should be scoring in the 160s if you want to forgo engineering for law. You have more to waste in that your 4-year degree is actually useful. Mine was political science. My university has a higher average starting salary for 4-yr engineering degrees than for a law degree, which is three years more than a bachelor's. Law students in the top ten percent of their class at less prestigious schools do well in getting a job. The rest of us don't. And keep in mind that everyone at law school was in the top ten percent back in undergrad. The academic competition is at another level, like an all-star game. And don't think that being an engineering student will get you anywhere in law school. One of my buddies, who actually managed a lower class rank than me, had just graduated with some ridiculous double major - nuclear physics and mechanical engineering. Like me, he always had good grades until he got to law school. He also wanted to do patent law, but with his lack of academic credentials, I don't think he ever found a job, or even got decent interviews.

Patent law does pay well, but you still have to get through law school with very good grades, or else you won't get a job out of it. Because it pays so well, it is very competitive. To get that six-figure biglaw job right out of school, you still need to be at a top school or have top grades. Have them both, and you can really cash in. I have heard about biglaw jobs in L.A. starting at $250k+ for new grads. By comparison, I have crappy grades from a very mediocre school. I am looking at a probably $40k/year government atty job when I get around to passing the bar, if I wanted a job. I will more likely start my own office or one with someone I know, but law school does not teach anything useful like how to make money.

Most people who are considering law school should not go. It's a miserable three years; you can rack up a giant debt; and you might not have many job options when you do graduate. Your lsat/gpa is very important. The other way to go besides going into the best school that will take you is to go to the best school that will give you a scholarship. That's what I did, and coming out with so few job options, I am very happy to have not taken on any debt in getting my law degree. Most law students graduate $60-$80k in debt, which is bad, but not getting a decent job with which to make the loan payments is worse.

just so suave

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
If you aren't working as a lawyer, why did you get your JD?
I made a ****ing mistake going to law school, OK, get off my back. There was a time in my life that I thought I wanted to be a lawyer, but I was terribly mistaken. I didn't know that you had to give up your soul to work in that field.

Should I get my JD? What is your advice for someone thinking about going into law school?
Do you want to waste three years of your life debating stupid and utterly irrelevant minutia? Then yes, get your JD. Do you want to get a degree that allows you work the rest of your life in a tedious, ****ty, unrewarding job? Then yes, get your JD. Are you a boring, facile, socially retarded *****, desperate for the illusion of money and success, regardless of the cost to your life and the lives of those you love? Then yes, get your JD. Do you want to squander your existence sitting in a lifeless office, churning out ultimately meaningless paperwork? Then yes, get your JD. Listen to me people: There is a reason that lawyers have the LOWEST job satisfaction of any profession in America. THE JOB SUCKS. It is horrible. If you know any lawyers, ask yourself: Are they happy with their job or their life? 90% of the time, the answer will be no. If the answer to that question is yes, then ask yourself, "Do I like that person." The answer will be almost always be no. The only lawyers who like their jobs are the sketchy ones that are the reason lawyers jokes are so prevalent and popular. Do you want to be that person? If so, then yes, get your ****ing JD.

Thats Tucker Maxs view of law School. Obviously you're not him, but that seems like a pretty honest view.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There is a reason that lawyers have the LOWEST job satisfaction of any profession in America. THE JOB SUCKS. It is horrible.

oh yeah, that too.

TyTe`EyEs

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bible_Belt said:
There is a reason that lawyers have the LOWEST job satisfaction of any profession in America. THE JOB SUCKS. It is horrible.

oh yeah, that too.
LMAO

I used to think about pursuing law school, but then I started reading www.philalawyer.net and changed my mind.

Suicide

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Teflon_Mcgee said:
That's good to hear. I take it then the law school will take the difficulty of engineering classes into account when looking at GPA? Does your friend attribute his entrance into law school to his engineering degree?

And yes, I'm in my junior year.
No, as BB said, they don't differentiant. Your major will help you because most schools have a desire to have diverse graduating classes. My friend doesn't have a single amazing thing on his application: decent undergrad grades, good LSAT score, a few excellent recommendations and several years of work experience all contributed.

Silvertip

Don Juan
Reaction score
just so suave said:
Thats Tucker Maxs view of law School. Obviously you're not him, but that seems like a pretty honest view.
I went to law school for a year. That view is dead on.