Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Kick Boxing

Keeper

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't know much about this, but am looking at non-gym ways of improving my health/endurance/body. I'm just wondering if anyone knows the cons and pro's of kickboxing, but not in a sense that 'you'll know how to fight' etc. Moreso in a 'it'll do 'this' to your body'

:)

psychgrad

Don Juan
Reaction score
your shoulders are going to get huge and toned. Shed a lot of weight

silverfox

Don Juan
Reaction score
Go to a real kickboxing class rather than one of these cardio-kick taebo classes if you can.

You will increase your aerobic and anaerobic capacity, lose weight, put on a little muscle, improve your flexibility, footwork, timing, hand eye coordination and mental focus.

It's a fantastic workout and you'll get out what you put in.

Shiftkey

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Everything silverfox said, but as a con kickboxing makes it tougher to bulk since you're burning more caleries and increasing your metabolism (though not impossible - a lot of the guys at my KB gym are still huge). You'll also only build a little muscle from kickboxing alone if you were out of shape before starting. The main benefit of kickboxing, other than self defence, is aerobic exercise and endurance.

Blowfish

Don Juan
Reaction score
My Shoulders started to get bigger after learning Muay Thai, maybe its also the Military Presses that I do. Kickboxing benefits you in every aspect as a human being, just like any form of Martial arts.

In terms of fitness, you'll build tone, get some muscles, Kickboxing is a anaerobic sport, just so you know. You'll soon learn to become faster with your punches and kicks. I started Kickboxing (MT) with a flabby body, that, along with weights and cardio had me lose my gut, I built muscles, and I was punching faster and more powerful. My endurance levels are better than before.

In terms of mental aspects, it'll make you more confident, just like all forms of exercise. But me personally, I like to look at Kickboxing as something that'll eliminate fear. I don't spar, but if you do spar its even better. Just facing people you don't really know that well in your training school, you don't know how hard they'll kick or how fast they'll punch... we have this thing that if we get hit by the other guy during our pad work, its our fault, and it should be for no being ready. I went in the gym all nervous and scared of people, but now, I don't care who I train with in the gym, I'm not even scared of getting hit.

Hope that helps. Do kickboxing, its a cardio alternative.

MuayThai

Banned
Reaction score
And hey! In england. If you do this kickboxing stuff long enough. Your hands are classed as deadly weapons.... nuff said.

FOL!!!

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm doing muay thay again, after having a 2 year break...busy again for a few months, preparing myself for matches.

I didn't get muscles from it (ectomorph bastard I guess), but your endurance will improve greatly.

Blowfish: no sparring?! Why the hell not?? You ain't dying from it, and getting hurt... You say you aren't scared, why don't you spar then?

Everyone spars over here, but we are the muay thai (well actually k-1) country of the world of course (Aerts, Hoost, Bonjasky, Schilt) :).

The negative side of training hard and getting more advanced:
- You will have trouble walking if you get enough low kicks. They hurt.
- There is a chance of getting a black eye, but I hardly see it.
- Bloodnoses or your mouth/lips getting a little crack is not that uncommon, but that isn't painfull and dissapears relatively quick.

This was just training, not matches.

And last, but certainly not least, most dojo's have an awesome spirit and a cool social environment. :) (we even got some hot chickies :p)

Blowfish

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by FOL!!!
I'm doing muay thay again, after having a 2 year break...busy again for a few months, preparing myself for matches.

I didn't get muscles from it (ectomorph bastard I guess), but your endurance will improve greatly.

Blowfish: no sparring?! Why the hell not?? You ain't dying from it, and getting hurt... You say you aren't scared, why don't you spar then?

Everyone spars over here, but we are the muay thai (well actually k-1) country of the world of course (Aerts, Hoost, Bonjasky, Schilt) :).

The negative side of training hard and getting more advanced:
- You will have trouble walking if you get enough low kicks. They hurt.
- There is a chance of getting a black eye, but I hardly see it.
- Bloodnoses or your mouth/lips getting a little crack is not that uncommon, but that isn't painfull and dissapears relatively quick.

This was just training, not matches.

And last, but certainly not least, most dojo's have an awesome spirit and a cool social environment. :) (we even got some hot chickies :p)
I only sparred once, we don't do it often in our gym, only the really advance guys do it, and I would spar if I got another opportunity, just that I can't find another partner.