Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Kerpal's Training Log

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well my legs were pretty sore yesterday and when I got up this morning I could barely move them. They are incredibly sore, I am having trouble just walking around.

I went into the gym today and tried to do my recovery squats, started warming up, got up to 185 lbs and felt like my quads, glutes and adductors were going to tear, so decided to skip training today.

That's what I get for not squatting heavy for 2 weeks and then doing 5 x 5 x 310 lbs.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've been a little depressed lately and my workouts suffered. I'm not even going to bother recording them here. Anyway, here's today:

09/09/09

Overhead press:

3 x 110 lbs
3 x 120 lbs
7 x 125 lbs

Squat:

5 x 5 x 315 lbs

Drum&Bass

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I went into the gym today and tried to do my recovery squats, started warming up, got up to 185 lbs and felt like my quads, glutes and adductors were going to tear, so decided to skip training today.

That's what I get for not squatting heavy for 2 weeks and then doing 5 x 5 x 310 lbs.
185lbs for recovery ?! you could have just used body weight, low reps several times during the day along with LOTS of stretching and foam rolling if you wanted recovery.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm doing the Texas Method. On the recovery day, you use around 80% of what you used for 5x5.

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That's some nice squatting, shouldn't be too far off 400!

Keep it up.

CaptainJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Nice squat Kerpal, I've got a few questions. How long has it taken you to get to that squat, and what routines have you been on?

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think I've been training for a little over 2 years now but not very consistently or seriously. I didnt' lift weights that whole time though and I was also training in BJJ. You can make much faster progress with more discipline and if weight training is the only thing you do. If I just lifted weights and did nothing else I think I could have gotten to this point in 1-1.5 years.

The programs I have used so far are the Starting Strength beginner program, the Texas Method, and Wendler 5/3/1.

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Great squat numbers!!!

Is your bodyweight still around 180 or are you gaining? Are you going ATG?

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah, I use a shoulder width stance and go as deep as possible. The top of my thigh at the hip is well below the top of my knee at the bottom of the squat. Pretty much every time I squat, the powerlifters at my gym say I go way too deep. But most of them compete in the APF and do wide stance multi-ply quarter squats out of a monolift, so they're a little biased.

I've gained weight though. I'm around 190 now. Been eating and drinking too much lately.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
kickureface said:
what happened to 531? howd u do on thaT?
It wasn't working for my squat but I'm still doing it for deadlift, overhead press and bench press and making progress. I recently had to reset the weight for the overhead press and I think I'll have to reset the bench and deadlift weights soon.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
09/16/09

Overhead press:

5 x 105 lbs
5 x 110 lbs
7 x 120 lbs

Squat:

3 x 5 x 320 lbs
3 x 320 lbs

I don't know what happened here. Sets 1-3 felt great but when I was walking out the last set it felt like 400 lbs, and I failed on the 4th rep. Decided to call it a day after that.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
09/18/09

Bench press:

5 x 160 lbs
5 x 170 lbs
5 x 180 lbs

Spotter touched the bar on the 6th rep but I’m not sure how much he “helped”. Not counting it to be on the safe side.

Deadlift:

5 x 345 lbs
5 x 375 lbs
7 x 390 lbs

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Great progress on the squats! How long have you been following the 5 x 5 regimen? Do you plan on switching it up anytime soon?

390 x 7 is great! My PB w/ 395 is only 5. I still find it weird how much weaker your bench is compared to your other lifts. You've never tried reverse grip bench have you?

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It seems to be working so I'm not planning on changing anything until I stop making progress.

I've never tried reverse grip bench. What's the purpose of it? It looks dangerous.

I don't know why my arms are so weak. It's always been that way. I remember once in middle school the PE teachers made us bench press and I couldn't do over 100 lbs. Even when I started lifting weights on a real program my squat and deadlift took off and my presses barely moved. I can probably deadlift 500 lbs now and deep squat around 400 but I can barely bench 200 :confused:

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Quagmire911 said:
You're arms aren't week with a 500 dead!

Here is some stuff to think about:

http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22914
http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21628

Quagmire
Good thing I don't care about the bench very much. I have progressed on it though. I remember getting stuck under 110 lbs a few years ago, this guy had to run over and "save" me. It was pretty embarrassing :eek:

I should have mentioned, I'm not bad at pulling movements with the upper body. I got to 15 bodyweight chin ups pretty easily. I just suck at pushing movements for some reason.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Motivation to train has been very low for the last month.

09/22/09

Overhead press:

3 x 110 lbs
3 x 120 lbs
5 x 125 lbs

My upper body absolutely refuses to get stronger. I think I have hit my genetic limitation on my presses.

Squat:

4 x 5 x 320 lbs
4 x 320 lbs, 1 x 320 lbs

Failed on the last rep of the last set :mad: Took the weights off, moved the bar back up, put the weights back on and did the last rep.

kickureface

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
pressing is just a slower lift. i remember i was stuck at 125/130 for quite a while before i managed to get 135x5. small muscles have that problem.

are you planning on competing by any chance?

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've been stuck here on my press for quite a while. I actually got 135 x 5 a while back but have never been able to get any higher than that.

I might compete if I could find a raw fed with decent judging. I'd have to bring my ****ty bench up though.