Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Kenpo Karate vs. Wing Chun Kung Fu

Nikos75

Don Juan
Reaction score
I started practicing Wing Chun Kung Fu and Chi Kung something like 8 years ago. I never regretted it for a single moment.

2 days ago I found out about Kenpo Karate.
After watching 2 "beginners" (studying for only 1 year) practice in a dojo near my place, I figured that if I entered a fight with either one of them, I would be beaten badly.
I was impressed by the sheer amount of force behind each punch, and I realised that I would be a lot more effective applying my strength this way.

Needless to say, I enrolled in a class for 4 days per week.

Anyone willing to share his views?
Especially if you are practicing Kenpo Karate.

fireguy

Don Juan
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on the more popular styles like boxing, kickboxing and muay thai?

Nikos75

Don Juan
Reaction score
I had never really looked to practice any other martial art -except judo, because of a female friend. I was limiting myself to Kung Fu and Chi Kung.
Apart from that, I never was a fan of full contact fight -Kyokushin-, and the kicks -required in mai thai and kick-boxing- were never my strongest point. Multiple punches, Blocks, and mobility have always been my game.

Nevertheless, as you may have understood, kenpo karate has been a revelation. Perhaps I've changed, becoming attuned to a more "barbaric" self and kenpo karate will suit me better.

In any case, I approach this new art open-minded and willing to learn all the new stuff -or better ways to achieve the same results: opponents beaten badly.
I could very well try other styles in a few years, after having progressed sufficiently.
But for now, kenpo karate and kung fu will suffice.

LoneSilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I am addicted to the UFC.

Those guys are conditioned and there was actually a program I watched a few days ago can't remember the channel where these guys are above and beyond almost non human as far as their conditioning is concerned and so are the Navy Seals and other special forces. Years of training make you tough.

Wish I would have kept up my training when I was a freshman in High School loved Karate and Kung Fu but the cost at the time was way to much and at the time was really just getting popular in the states and not much competition to help drive prices down but did manage to get to the orange belt

LoneSilver

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Popularity helps to sell fight tickets, and at least in my dojo, that has made it possible for training class costs to be low. The guy who runs it makes his money from the fights, so he offers cheap bjj & mma classes to attract fighters. I am paying only $100/month to train with amateur and professional fighters.

LoneSilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Lets see this was back in the early 70's and the price per month was $55 bucks in comparsion I would say that was like paying a whole lot more.

Times have changed.

LoneSilver

Bible_Belt said:
Popularity helps to sell fight tickets, and at least in my dojo, that has made it possible for training class costs to be low. The guy who runs it makes his money from the fights, so he offers cheap bjj & mma classes to attract fighters. I am paying only $100/month to train with amateur and professional fighters.

blackbelt2k

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
It honestly doesn't matter what style you do, it ALL depends on the fighter. I have been competing in Olympic TKD tournaments for 11 years now. I have also had the opportunity to fight against kun fu, karate, and then again just use it in mma; and it all depends on the fighter. I'm not bad, I beat other guys, and there are other guys that beat me. Pick a style you have a solid foundation in and start learning how to apply strength to those moves. Remember all the power in kicks and punches come from the ground.

Phyzzle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I used to take Wing Chun, and we did have a few sparring sessions with nearby Shotokan Karate and Tae Kwon Do classes.

It was apples and oranges. Knife blocks? Spinning high kicks? SIDEWAYS STANCES with one arm facing the opponent to "reduce the target area"??

Dude, I would stick to something simple like Wing Chun. Yes, Karate teaches power, but colossal haymakers really aren't that useful most of the time.

Of course, after the UFC started, we could then spar against shoot fighters and submission guys, and then it was our turn to get our butts handed to us. My class didn't practice sprawling, not even once. I wish straight up MMA gyms were more common.

This is all the takedown defense Wing Chun teaches:

http://www.cheungswingchun.com/g/2047/against-a-grappler.html

So yeah. Wing Chun + a grappling style would be sensible.

Obsidian

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
if you're in a sparring match against the karate guys, they will have an artificial advantage because you won't be able to use your true wing chun skillz without hurting them. Wing Chun requires small amounts of force in its attacks because the attacks are designed to strike the sensitive parts of the body: Along the center line and against the eyes, throat, nose, diaphragm, etc. If you poked a guy in the eyes during a sparring match, you'd get in trouble.

Interceptor

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
WOW, you guys make me proud.
Great going , guys..I am impressed.
It's nice to see fellow martial artists on here.

The idea behind any style is to train its concepts and principles against anything BUT its own style. That, added with the practitioner's own attributes are what make the system, style. or method valid in an unplanned, spontaneous situation.
Granted , for some training situations, say Chi Sao, you do need go WC versus WC, but for me personally, I try to go outside the set standards and start to throw in variables.
In JKD we train to be functional. Yes, we do training that may be considered as traditional , but it is a means to an end, 'not to be carried on one's back".

It is all about training attributes, and training these techiuqes in as many situations as much as possible. So that a training reflex has been superimposed over your neural impulses.
This is what Bruce Lee was going for, hence the fanatical obsession in practicing in and for "no mind" or "Wu Wei".
The thing with JKD is that so many people have these differnet interpretations of the system, and it IS open to interpretation, that you have a wide variety of training methodologies.
This can sometimes be very confusing for the novice JKDer.
I think as an instructor, we must strive to combine the Self Preservation trainng with the Self Perfection skills, but make sure they are well defined to the student.